Thread: 2013 128i - Leaking Oil

My Cars
    128i

2013 128i - Leaking Oil

Hello!

Posting to see if I can get any guidance and hopefully answer a few questions:

I have a 2013 128i with 83,500 miles on it. Bought it new, and have had all the scheduled maintenance done. It is now out of warranty. I took it in to the dealer over summer to get an oil change. A few weeks after, I noticed oil leaking from the car. Took it in, dealer said it needed a new oil pan gasket as well as oil filter gasket (that was the source of the leak). Had it fixed, $1400.

Maybe a few weeks went by and then I noticed a little more oil leaking from the car. Finally got it into the same shop recently when it seemed the oil leak was getting a lot bigger. They sent me a video of a broken front aluminum head bolt. They replaced that bolt plus a gasket on the intake manifold, $800. At the time of the repair I asked them to make certain that the leak wasn't coming form the valve cover gasket and he said they didn't see any oil coming from that area so it should be good.

I picked the car up two days ago and I am noticing small patches of oil again after the car sits overnight.

I am definitely NOT going to be taking it back to the dealer/shop that did the work, because I just don't trust them at this point. But my questions are:

1. Can anyone direct me to a decent repair manual for this car? I have been looking on line and can't seem to find one for this specific year make and model.

2. this is my first BMW and I am wondering if the cars are just not very durable/reliable in general or if I just might have gotten a bad model/year? I am used to cars not having gasket problems or things like broken head bolts so soon in the life of a car. Just looking for others experience with BMW's to see if I should look at a different model/year or avoid the brand in general if I am looking for better reliability.

Thanks for any help or guidance you guys can give me on this,

- Jay

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Look what if the oil is just residue off the engine, go back to who ever did the work and have them check, jumping from shop to shop is not going to do anybody any good. If they didn't fix it right then they will have to.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Find a reputable independent (indie) shop
    at www.bimrs.org. Also, google “BMWCCA #####” where “#####” is your zip code. That will provide a link to your local chapter of the BMWCCA. Check the website for recommendations. Dealers are parts changers.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325I, BMW R1100GS
    Definitely find a new shop. Those guys are hacks that overcharge and will continue to do so.

Jim