Thread: Puddle after storm!

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i

Puddle after storm!

Hey guys,

just go go a new to me 1980 320i and with the first two rain storms I noticed a decent puddle in the rear passenger footwell. I don't see any obvious trails to it. I thought it had to be sunroof, but channels look fine and headliner appears dry. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jacob

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    The sunroof has two drains with very long hoses attached, sometimes they get clogged. Open the sunroof and test the drains. If they are clogged, be very careful not to damage the hoses while un-clogging them. Maybe use a shop vac before running any more water through them.

edit: I forget, there may be 4 drains, not 2.
    Last edited by epmedia; 10-22-2017 at 11:32 PM.
    Tbd

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i
    Are there only the front 2 drains? Anyone come up with a better/alternate routing for the drains? I could hear the air flowing through them and it sounds like they flow a long way through the rocker panels.

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    Pull the rear seat and see if it's wet under there. If dry, check drains of passenger door across the bottom of door, on outside of door gasket.

My Cars
    1983 320I, 1986 325E
    Weed walker plastic wire works well for clearing out the drains. You can remove the front speakers to inspect the front drains.
    Last edited by Thecatmilton; 10-23-2017 at 12:41 AM.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by Shake900 View Post
    Are there only the front 2 drains? Anyone come up with a better/alternate routing for the drains? I could hear the air flowing through them and it sounds like they flow a long way through the rocker panels.
    I'm remembering someone saying there is actually 4 drains, my apologies. I don't think the original design can be improved, it works well when functioning properly.
    Tbd

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i
    I can't seem to see or get to the rear drains...where are they located? Can you see the end of any of the drains, front or rear?

For now, I moved it indoors and vacuumed up what I could and will pull up carpet when I can. How do you take out the rear seat?

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by epmedia View Post
    I'm remembering someone saying there is actually 4 drains, my apologies. I don't think the original design can be improved, it works well when functioning properly.
    Since just removed these recently I can add to this.
    There's 4. - 2 up front down the A pillars behind the speakers and lead inside the front frame rails where the water exits out holes in the rails. The other 2 are in the rear C pillars with exit out the holes behind the side quarter windows.

Also check grommets that lead into the engine bay/blower motor area. I seem to remember water entering on the passenger side from the cowl before into the glove box area.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    '80 320iS,'88 M3,'82Alfa
    Autox320 is correct on the drain placement. Just be sure the drain slots at the bottom of the rocker panels are open and clear. There is a drain on the left side of the cowl. Check to see if it is plugged or if there is water in that area along with the blower. Last make sure your windshield is sealed. If you do not have the original windshield in your car, chances are the new one was installed without sealant. My car's windshield leaked badly on the passenger side after a new windshield and gasket were installed without a sealant on the gasket. Water can be forced up under the lower edge of the windshield gasket when driving in the rain.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Rear seat comes out pretty easy - pull off two plastic covers just below the front edge of the bottom seat cushion, and remove the two 10mm head bolts you'll find there.

Lift up the front of the seat and pull forwards and out. Be careful not to let the metal seat brackets (the ones you just unbolted) contact or tear up the vinyl backs of the front seats.

If you need to remove the rear seat back cushion, two more phillips-head screws along the bottom of it that will be visible once the seat bottom is removed. Lift the rear seat back up a couple inches to release the top from the hooks it hangs on.

When reinstalling the rear seat back, make really sure it's fully hooked at the top before pushing down and getting the screws started.