Thread: Wondering about this 2004 330ci. Help me solve the mystery.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328xi

Wondering about this 2004 330ci. Help me solve the mystery.

Flying out to LA this Wednesday to look at a 330ci at a dealership. Really good price. Has 128k miles on it, really good condition from what I see of the pictures. Interior is immaculate, dash is clean, carfax is clean. One thing has me a little stumped: why hasn't it sold?

I put $500 down on it about a week ago so he would agree to hold it for me until I made it out that way. I just bought a usavinleak.com report and all is clean there too. But something interesting I find is that the car was listed by the dealership in 2013 for the first time. 6 months later, its relisted for $500 less. 2 months after that, it's listed again with $500 taken off...a year later another $500 off and relisted now for the price I'm looking to buy it for. I don't understand how this car was sitting for 3+ years and no one bought it.

I have my ticket already and I suppose that the only thing I can do is to take a close look at it when I get there. Your thoughts are appreciated.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe
    Most of the time nobody wants to buy an aged car. Especially if it’s at a dealership around cars that are newer and look “better” and less used they go for what’s safer preferred to what’s cool or rare (in the case of a nice e46)

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328xi
    Thanks, Leo. So this isn't abnormal? That's what I'm really trying to figure out

My Cars
    '04 BMW 325 Ci blk cpe
    Just an FYI, there are services (for a fee) that will actually go out and look at a car for you without you putting a down payment, kind of like getting a mechanic's appraisal. Only these guys really look for any physical damage also, unreported car accidents...four years and the car has not sold??? Either it belongs to an employee or it is flawed...good luck on the purchase, I really hope you get the car you have been looking for....

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328xi
    Yeah I think it is so odd. Can't figure it out. Thanks for your reply, jc1kz

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328xi
    When it was first posted, it was in line with the price of the market at the time. It wasn't oddly priced where it screamed, "Don't get this".

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    My reluctance in buying cars from dealers is that they know nothing about them. Although I have indeed purchased from dealers in the past, it's only after carefully looking over a CarFax and seeing the history of service. Three years at a dealer is strange to be sure unless the car was being used by the owner.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Pre purchase inspection

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Agree........I myself would be suspicious of falsified paper-work at this point. Now YOU have to inspect much further. Put this car on a lift and inspect very carefully the underbody structure for previous damage...look entirely throughout for water damage....do a transmission and engine 'spectrographic OIL analysis' Any traces of moisture may reveal a possibility for a previously water flooded car dried out and put up for sale for unsuspecting consumers...such as YOU!

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by noahwinco View Post
    Thanks, Leo. So this isn't abnormal? That's what I'm really trying to figure out
    It’s not abnormal, but you should definitely get a second look at it. When I bought my E46 I took it to a BMW certified mechanic Who put the vehicle on a lift and made sure that the entire car was intact. From prior research I knew the oil leaks where common, and I knew where to look for them and they were from the most common spots. As one of the people on this post said, you should definitely make sure all fluids have been replaced and all maintenance has been done to the vehicle since it is being sold by dealership. And especially make sure that all the fluids are to specs on what BMW requests for that specific car. if all maintenance has been done and nothing seems out of the ordinary then by all means jump in. It’s not like these cars are hard to fix anyways, just takes dedication and a tiny bit of elbow grease

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328xi
    Thanks all! He's been very cooperative so far and today he mentioned that he was planning on keeping the car for himself...off and on and is finally getting rid of it. I'll make sure to use a fine toothed comb for this one.

Really appreciate the replies.