Thread: 95 E36 M3 5 Speed Reverse Grind

My Cars
    1995 Dakar M3

Question 95 E36 M3 5 Speed Reverse Grind

Hello,

I just got finished installing the UUC DSSR and went to back the car out from under my house and reverse would not work it just grinded and popped back into neutral. I've never had an issue with reverse before today so It's just a coincidence that it's having issue now right after the DSSR install.

Gears 1-5 shift fine but its reverse that's acting up, any ideas as to way this is happening and how I could fix it?

The real grinding can be heard at the very end of this video.

My Cars
    1995 Dakar M3
    Quick Update.

My car was made in 02/95 and I ordered this one https://www.ecstuning.com/b-uuc-part...r-rod/dssr198/ which is for my E36.

I went back down jacked the car up and reinstalled my old selector rod and now Reverse works just fine.

So why would my reverse gear grind and not stay engaged with the UUC DSSR?

Also wanted to add that I noticed the reverse lights are not coming on when the UUC DSSR is installed. So thats telling me Im not able to fully engage reverse with it installed, could this be happening because I have a Dinan SSK installed?
    Last edited by fbmbirds; 10-21-2017 at 10:03 PM.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I would wonder if it wasn't fully engaging into Reverse gear. Yes a shift lever can do that if it isn't the correct one. How much were you banging the center console to get it into reverse with the DSSR? Lastly did you change the shift lever as part of the kit?
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Is this working length of the new selector rod EXACTLY the same as your stock one?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1995 Dakar M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    I would wonder if it wasn't fully engaging into Reverse gear. Yes a shift lever can do that if it isn't the correct one. How much were you banging the center console to get it into reverse with the DSSR? Lastly did you change the shift lever as part of the kit?

It never fully went into reverse and Ive had the short shifter installed for a few months now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Is this working length of the new selector rod EXACTLY the same as your stock one?
    Yep its the exact same size, the old selector rod was able to line up directly and fit into the DSSR holes.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Because it was able to line up does NOT mean it's exactly the same length. You can install another selector rod that's 1/2" shorter - it will reach -- but it won't select reverse gear. The UUC DSSR also has a particular orientation, as does the stock piece, by the way.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    1995 Dakar M3
    Because it was able to line up does NOT mean it's exactly the same length. You can install another selector rod that's 1/2" shorter - it will reach -- but it won't select reverse gear. The UUC DSSR also has a particular orientation, as does the stock piece, by the way.

The UUC DSSR I got does not have a particular orientation. Per the documentation Step 3 states the straight versions do not have a front or rear, either way is correct.

I bought mine from ECS tuning and its the correct length for my car.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I would highly recommend that you measure it anyway. It started at UUC....and, um, they are known for mistakes. Then it went to ECS, who aren't exactly perfect either.

There's a 198mm showing for an E36, and a 189mm, for a different production range, with the separation a couple of months from yours. Suppose someone swapped gearboxes on your car? Maybe UUC mispackaged it?

There really are not many possible causes here, especially since you swapped your old unit back, and it worked. It seems to me that the DSSR is clearly the trouble, is it not?

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    1995 Dakar M3
    I would highly recommend that you measure it anyway. It started at UUC....and, um, they are known for mistakes. Then it went to ECS, who aren't exactly perfect either.

There's a 198mm showing for an E36, and a 189mm, for a different production range, with the separation a couple of months from yours. Suppose someone swapped gearboxes on your car? Maybe UUC mispackaged it?

There really are not many possible causes here, especially since you swapped your old unit back, and it worked. It seems to me that the DSSR is clearly the trouble, is it not?
    Quick update,

I adjusted the Dinan short shifter to allow for a slightly longer throw and now everything works like it should. Im gonna go out on a limb here and say it was due to the very short throw of the shifter.

Either way everything is working and the DSSR is installed. Overall it feels good even if I had to lengthen the throw of my shifter.