Thread: Ultimate Shift Kit

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd

Ultimate Shift Kit

Ladies and Gentlemen, like the title says...I present to you, the ultimate shift kit for our quirky little cars!

Z3ShiftKit.jpg

This kit was painstakingly assembled over several months, with heavy helpings of pure luck and impeccable timing when it came to sourcing the shifter carrier assembly! The kit consists of the following:

Rogue Engineering Short Shift Lever
    Rogue Engineering Poly Carrier Bushings
    RMS Shifter Carrier (billet alloy w/ raised shift lever cup)
    UUC DSSR
    All new shift assembly bushings, washers, clips, etc.

I will report back on the confidence-inspiring, buttery-smooth, shifting action once installed and abused.

Cheers

"You don't win silver....you lose gold."

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    What type of net cost?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Looks great--waiting for full report!

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Most interested in thoughts on the selector rod. I've not been terribly impressed with UUC but they seem to be the only ones offering that particular product.

My Cars
    02 Mroady,2007 Z4 coupe
    I have UUC short shift kit on my MRoady with the DSSR and it was a great improvement.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    I am also interested in your report
    2000 Alpine White over Estoril Blue & Black Nappa with a Dark Blue Softtop, 1 of 43.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Installed UUC short shifter kit with DSSR and renewed all bushings, didn't notice any dramatic difference.
    Looking at CAE shifter now, which looks like a whole different level.
    Last edited by deni2s; 10-23-2017 at 12:48 PM.

My Cars
    '02 BMW Z3 2.5
    A question that obviously reveals my ignorance, but does this kit work with only one type of manual transmission? I understand there are at least two manufacturers for Z3 transmissions. While mine (2002 2.5i) has no particular dysfunction, its certainly not as smooth as it used to be.

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger56 View Post
    A question that obviously reveals my ignorance, but does this kit work with only one type of manual transmission? I understand there are at least two manufacturers for Z3 transmissions. While mine (2002 2.5i) has no particular dysfunction, its certainly not as smooth as it used to be.
    Badger,

This kit is a carefully curated selection of parts from different kits, each piece being the "best" in it's respective category: shift lever, shifter carrier, selector rod, carrier bushings

The transmissions in our cars use the same interface points, so any shift kits available on the market will work for both the getrag and the ZF transmissions.

My Cars
    E90M3
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    Installed UUC short shifter kit with DSSR and renewed all bushings, didn't notice any dramatic difference.
    Looking at CAE shifter now, which looks like a whole different level.
    I've gone through UUC, AKG and then on to CAE. nothing else compares to CAE, not even remotely close. You'll have to chop up the interior trim, but mine was bad from the get go so I didnt mind.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The Getrag and ZF use different ratios in the shift linkage. What would be a medium short shifter on a ZF will be ultra-short on a Getrag. the difference is 1.333:1 if my feeble mind remembers.

While I can certainly understand the desire for stiff quality parts in the shift linkage, I've never been able to get my head wrapped around the claims of increase mass and interia improves the feel. as i see it, it deadens the feel, masking the syncro dogs doing their job, for a smoother ride; the equivalent of putting softer suspension springs and a heavy flywheel in to smooth the feel of the handling or engine.

/.randy

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    The Getrag and ZF use different ratios in the shift linkage. What would be a medium short shifter on a ZF will be ultra-short on a Getrag. the difference is 1.333:1 if my feeble mind remembers.

While I can certainly understand the desire for stiff quality parts in the shift linkage, I've never been able to get my head wrapped around the claims of increase mass and interia improves the feel. as i see it, it deadens the feel, masking the syncro dogs doing their job, for a smoother ride; the equivalent of putting softer suspension springs and a heavy flywheel in to smooth the feel of the handling or engine.
    This. I also don't see it being very "safe" for the trans in having a heavy/forceful shifting mechanism. While it might feel smoother, i assume it's just forcing things into place "harder".

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    I agree with this. My main thought is the dual "ears" (or whatever they are called) would allow less play and deformation of the bushings than the stock single ear style. I'd rather not have the weighted bar, though.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Sorry, didn't mean to rain on Dan's build here. The improvement will be substantial. Not only the ratio change, but the increased stiffness from the Double shear rod and the carrier witout that stupuid rubber block in it. The added hammer effect of the weight will not hurt anything. It just doesn't need to be there.

/.randy

Quote Originally Posted by Kondata View Post
    I've gone through UUC, AKG and then on to CAE. nothing else compares to CAE, not even remotely close. You'll have to chop up the interior trim, but mine was bad from the get go so I didnt mind.

u use it on street?.........seems a bit much for street time

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, didn't mean to rain on Dan's build here. The improvement will be substantial. Not only the ratio change, but the increased stiffness from the Double shear rod and the carrier witout that stupuid rubber block in it. The added hammer effect of the weight will not hurt anything. It just doesn't need to be there.
    unless you have the same set up in use..........dont be so sure. Substantial?...thats subjective......

the "raised " carrier is a big key..........that will really help......I built one on a 72 2002.....huuuuge difference

I driven over 40 ssk cars.....on bmw's...not all z3's...........few had "substantial" impvt

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    Thanks, Randy...I spent a long time testing and trying different set-ups on other vehicles, and decided that the RE lever with the UUC DSSR and a raised cup would send me down the best path. I had originally planned on getting the UUC SSK, and just swapping the lever for a RE, but in a stroke of luck equivalent to winning the 'rare cars parts' lottery, I managed to procure a brand new RMS carrier with the raised cup! Although the DSSR weighs abit more than the standard selector rod, it's not exceedingly heavy. I'll post updates as it all wears in, and after I've had a chance to rally put it all to use.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    u use it on street?.........seems a bit much for street time

the "raised " carrier is a big key..........that will really help......I built one on a 72 2002.....huuuuge difference
    My car is a street car, with the occasional track day event. I don't think that any of the pictured upgrades are "a bit much" (that's subjective ) for a street car. If I was building a track car, I'd be looking at the CAE or AKG, not improving the standard bits.

The raised carrier is KEY to getting clean shifts, especially when paired with a longer lever for shorter throw!

Quote Originally Posted by danomite View Post
    Thanks, Randy...I spent a long time testing and trying different set-ups on other vehicles, and decided that the RE lever with the UUC DSSR and a raised cup would send me down the best path. I had originally planned on getting the UUC SSK, and just swapping the lever for a RE, but in a stroke of luck equivalent to winning the 'rare cars parts' lottery, I managed to procure a brand new RMS carrier with the raised cup! Although the DSSR weighs abit more than the standard selector rod, it's not exceedingly heavy. I'll post updates as it all wears in, and after I've had a chance to rally put it all to use.

My car is a street car, with the occasional track day event. I don't think that any of the pictured upgrades are "a bit much" (that's subjective ) for a street car. If I was building a track car, I'd be looking at the CAE or AKG, not improving the standard bits.

The raised carrier is KEY to getting clean shifts, especially when paired with a longer lever for shorter throw!

my "on street?" comment was for Kondata...........I think your set up is perfect for street.

My Cars
    E90M3
    this isnt really a daily for me, so having the CAE in there is fine for street driving. It is probably a bit much for a car that never sees track time, but the return spring alone makes it so worth it. Alternatively, you could get an RTD shifter without the lockout feature, also very nice and wouldnt require any cutting (also retains the neutral spring you find in the CAE and is half price).

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    The added hammer effect of the weight will not hurt anything. It just doesn't need to be there.
    good to know.

My Cars
    z3
    I imagine if something did damage the internals itd be as a result of the increased leverage ratio not just the weight of the parts

Looks nice Dan curious to hear how you like it installed

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

Quote Originally Posted by Kondata View Post
    this isnt really a daily for me, so having the CAE in there is fine for street driving. It is probably a bit much for a car that never sees track time, but the return spring alone makes it so worth it. Alternatively, you could get an RTD shifter without the lockout feature, also very nice and wouldnt require any cutting (also retains the neutral spring you find in the CAE and is half price).
    if u ever can......show us a vid of you shifting?.....like done by a passenger???