Thread: E38 750IL Sunroof Leak Help

My Cars
    1999 BMW 750 IL

E38 750IL Sunroof Leak Help - Resolved

Hi EveryoneLooking for a bit of help from someone if possibleMy e38 seems to have developed a sunroof leak from driver side (RHD). I have attached pics below and water seem to come through from the top on side of the pipe clamp then leaks under those gold plated metals (as in the picture attached) ...I have cleaned the drain tube in the top corner and checked under the headliner and the drainage plastic is connected also......I am not sure how to stop the leaking and would appreciate any advice and helpThanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Al750i; 11-01-2017 at 10:58 PM.

My Cars
    750iL; 330Ci cab; 5GT
    The drains at the front are covered with flap that rises as water collects - check these are free and not clogged with debris.
    Has the windscreen been replaced? If so, excess sealant can block the drain exit(s) which are behind the windscreen trim at the top.
    If you have attempted to unblock the drains with wire, this action can dislodge the drain hose from stub outlet, as the hoses do not have clips from the factory
    If you have a glass sunroof, the original seal around the metal aperture has been replaced with a deeper section seal, that is quieter and lets less water in.
    Check the rear drain outlets under the car as these can clog with debris too.

Finally, check the drivers carpet for water - there are electrical components underneath, and water here will play havoc

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Judging from the photo, it looks like your track end caps need to be re-sealed:

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    1999 BMW 750 IL
    Thanks @chrisn7...I will check the carpet for sure. I know its little wet but not hugely.
    The windscreen is original from factory and it has never been replaced before....but I will definately check everything you have suggested and report back

Thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Frankie...I feel you may be right as water is definately coming through there and I had a feeling that I had to re-seal around those caps...will report back for sure

My Cars
    750iL; 330Ci cab; 5GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Al750i View Post
    Thanks @chrisn7...I will check the carpet for sure. I know its little wet but not hugely.
    The windscreen is original from factory and it has never been replaced before....but I will definately check everything you have suggested and report back

Thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Frankie...I feel you may be right as water is definately coming through there and I had a feeling that I had to re-seal around those caps...will report back for sure
    If the carpet is wet at all you need to take action, as the carpet does not sit on the floorpan directly. There are ducts, electrical components / fuses and pieces of supporting and sound deadening foam a few centimeters thick. There are body plugs in the floorpan that just clip in place - you can see them from under the car. Might be worth pressing the drivers side in and see if any water comes out?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 750 IL
    Just to say that I sorted my sunroof leak and as Frankie was right, it was my track end cap as the seal had come off....its all sealed now.

Thanks so much guys for your help. Much appreciated.