Thread: E92 Suspension, Looking for Brand recommendations

My Cars
    335i E93 N54

E92 Suspension, Looking for Brand recommendations

Hey peeps,

I did do some searches and reading. I'd still like input on my scenario.

I'm loving my (recently acquired) 2008 335xi Sports Package E92.
    She has 180k~ KM under her belt.

The ride is now so bouncy on the yeehaws, that I'm finding it potentially dangerous.
    No corner of the car sits/sinks lower than any other, so I'm guessing the springs are fine.
    There is no clunking or other sounds to go along with my bouncy ride.

I'm thinking it's just the shocks.
    However, I'm open to feedback as I may be overlooking something.

I've put an aftermarket (lift) suspension in a Jeep Cherokee, but they are just so simple compared to what I see under my E92.
    I admit, I'd like to keep the cost reasonable. I'm looking for a stock 335xi Sports Package kinda ride.

- Thoughts as to if anything else could be required? Think I'm on the right track w/ 'shocks'?
    - What brand of shock is priced fair, will provide about 100,000km of driving, with a reasonably stockish ride?
    (no tracking, don't want it any lower/higher, don't need it harsh, prefer slightly softer, but not soft)
    - Are there any good DIY write ups on this? (or is this a garage type job, for the mediocre self mechanic)
    - What is a rough estimate on cost for the parts?
    - How many hours labor if at a garage?

Thanks as always!
    Last edited by Codes2; 10-21-2017 at 12:22 PM.

My Cars
    2012 BMW 283i F30
    I just acquired a 328xi E92 also, a 2010. It has 80K and just before acquiring it new rear shock where put on. I have since ordered matching front struts. They are Bilstein B4. There are definitely not as nice as the B6 but I believe from what I've read match OEM closest. You're looking at about $300 for all four.

Couple addition parts you might want to consider:

Strut Mounts, i.e. the bearings that the struts rotate on
    Bump Stops
    Coil Spring Shims top and bottom
    Bellows

I order everything from FCP Euro. They have very responsible prices, will match others and offer a lifetime warranty on everything they sell. Their warranty is hard to believe. Basically in 50-60K miles from now I will order 4 more and request an RMA for the old ones. Beside return shipping cost, you pay nothing.

I have not done the install yet, from what I've read and watched it's a more difficult strut replacements then average. The strut assembly does not easily pass the wheel well, a lot of tutorials suggest loosening the control arm and turning the wheel for a little extra room. Having the XDrive apparently makes it every more difficult, but not 100% sure why. Some tutorial suggest compressing the spring before removal to get the extra space needed to pass the wheel well. From what I've read it looks significantly more difficult the any other install I have done, which only amounts to 3 other cars

Having an impact gun isn't a must, but without it so so so much more difficult.

Good luck, I'll report back once I replace mine. Might be a couple weeks before I get to it.
    Last edited by velorider562; 10-24-2017 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Dam metric conversions