Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of dipping my toe into the 8 series pool

My Cars
    None

Thinking of dipping my toe into the 8 series pool

Growing up, the 8 series was the poster on my wall. It was 'that' car. I'd like to own one now, and I've begun to decide. I'm a US member and am really looking for a quality example but have no idea how to value these due to lack of very many out there.

My current leanings are, in all cases, late enough to have the steptronic. The second requirement is the V12. The first preference is one of the blues, likely mauritiusblau or avisblau and similar. I'd ideally like a well sorted CSI first, or a CIA second but I am unclear where the benefits of the later model years and whether or not there was an 'ideal' year or few. I am also unclear what sort of transaction price I can expect for either.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Last edited by ItsRainingLead; 10-21-2017 at 12:58 AM.

My Cars
    1990's BMW dealership
    What is your budget?

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    If you want an E31, then you will be doing more than just dipping your toe into the pool, it is more like doing a cannonball from the 10 meter high dive.

What part of Texas are you in?
    Last edited by TxGR8White; 10-21-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    None
    I'm in West Texas. Budget is, ideally, 25k or less. More and there are other toys I begin to justify.

My Cars
    1995 840Ci, 2013 X5
    While there are 8's in your price range, you might not get exactly what you initially set out for. Start by understanding what cars were produced. Here's a god resource:
    http://www.8coupe.com/Home.aspx
    CSI's are most certainly out of your price range. The steptronic transmission IIRC was introduced in the US in 1996 and those cars command a premium. Mauritius Blau (my favorite color) was discontinued in 1995. So poke around a bit. You'll have a much easier time finding an 8 that has been well cared for but might not have all the features you initially want.

My Cars
    None
    Thanks for the resources. I've been using that and e31.net. You are saying a well sorted late model CIA demands a premium north of 25k? If that's the case my second choice is a Mezger 997 Turbo and if it looks like I I'm drifting towards that price range, I might as well splurge.

My Cars
    1995 840Ci, 2013 X5
    Those are two completely different classes of car. The 997 is a sports car. The 8 is a GT.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Don't understand your logic, if the 850ci is more than 25k then you will go for 50k 997?? Ok...
    You can still get 1996-1997 850ci for under 25k, but you wont be able to choose colors and stuff because they are rare.

My Cars
    None
    To me, it's a value proposition. Toys have a mental value to me. If the 850 I want is more than 25k, I'm more likely to look for the next one up my value ladder.

My total toy budget right now is about 100k, but some of that is already spoken for on other things.

My Cars
    bmw 850i M-tech
    If that really is your case then i'd say go for Porsche, you'd be a lot happier.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    The BMW and Porsche are apples and oranges. Decide which one you want and go in that direction. Those of us who are E31 people love the 8 series, and the Porsche people love the Porsche. So it just depends on what you want.
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    750 F01, 850i, LR3 HSE
    Love the 850 however has much has some try to justify, it will not be up there with a Porsche, Ferrari etc..

If it is for future value and having the ability to toss it around a bit then Porsche is the way to go. Unless you can find a fair priced CSI.

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsRainingLead View Post
    To me, it's a value proposition. Toys have a mental value to me. If the 850 I want is more than 25k, I'm more likely to look for the next one up my value ladder.

My total toy budget right now is about 100k, but some of that is already spoken for on other things.

My Cars
    1990's BMW dealership
    There was a lower kilometer six speed 850i on BAT earlier in the month. It was Mauritius Blue, 117 000 kilometer, and pretty clean. It sold for $25000 USD at auction. Even at that price I can't think of too many cars with a higher potential for future price appreciation than e31's in general and six speeds specifically. Low kilometer automatics are selling for $25 k in Europe. Heck, that Glacier Blue Auto sold for $35 k in Colorado on BAT.

With your budget I'd buy the best six speed or lowest kilometer automatic whichever colour. I don't think you can go wrong.

My Cars
    997tt,850,02m5,w140 s500
    Thanks for the resources. I've been using that and e31.net. You are saying a well sorted late model CIA demands a premium north of 25k? If that's the case my second choice is a Mezger 997 Turbo and if it looks like I I'm drifting towards that price range, I might as well splurge.
    i own a 91 850, & 2007 997 turbo. i love the 8 series, always have. i've spent more on it than what a sane person would. but i paid cash for it 14 yrs ago, and its a labor of love.. not a "toy"...

the 997 is a completly different car.. its faster, its newer , its better.. its porsche.....* dont kick me off the forum.. lol *

50k for a 997 will get you something with like 80k miles... mine was more like 70k for 10k miles.. big difference in price, & you get what you pay for. end of the day, if i had 100k for an 8 series, go get the alpina 5.7 here was one that sold for 105k

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/11/25/ra...s-up-for-sale/

My Cars
    None
    I've read that the manual Getrag with the V12 is hard to repair or replace if something goes wrong that that the steptronic is superior in respect to driving character ? I'd rather row the boat, but time bombs that cannot be fixed are...not fun.

Is this the case? I know the manual generally carries a premium and I am buying the car for eventual appreciation as one of my reasons.
    Last edited by ItsRainingLead; 10-21-2017 at 11:13 PM.

My Cars
    E31, E36/7, E61
    I've read that the manual Getrag with the V12 is hard to repair or replace if something goes wrong that that the steptronic is superior in respect to driving character ? I'd rather row the boat, but time bombs that cannot be fixed are...not fun.

Is this the case? I know the manual generally carries a premium and I am buying the car for eventual appreciation as one of my reasons.

It looks to me like your heart really isn't in it.

Most owners will probably agree that "Eventual appreciation" is out weighed by ongoing maintenance/improvement costs.

Everything can be overcome, but these cars are getting on for 30 years old now, can't expect ownership to be guaranteed incident free, expect the worst and things can only get better.

My Cars
    None
    I'm probably being unclear on my desire. I already have and have had a variety of cars in various stages of repair. I'm not worried about incidents, I'm asking about what I've read were some very difficult issues to rectify broken Getrags on these. I have nearly completely recrafted a MGB wooden dash by hand, but also have relatively simple muscle and pony cars.

Work doesn't bother me, nor do problems. I do not, however, really want to add a vehicle to the stable that you cannot even reasonably source parts for the transmission. My question was whether or not the Getrag fell into that category as I have searched these forums and read some concerning things.

All of my vehicles are, also, investments. Long term, cost cancelling? Sure. I try to avoid money pits, in general. I don't mind breaking even on my hobbies.

My Cars
    None
    Don't get me wrong. I understand cost of ownership. I also know first hand needing to handcraft a MGB wooden dash because that's what you signed up for. If there are parts and the Getrag can be fixed, I'll get it. If I need to have custom machine work done just to keep it on the road, I'll get the 5 speed auto.

I've also read the V12 is a little doggy with the manual compared to the 5 speed.

My Cars
    1990's BMW dealership
    Don't get me wrong. I understand cost of ownership. I also know first hand needing to handcraft a MGB wooden dash because that's what you signed up for. If there are parts and the Getrag can be fixed, I'll get it. If I need to have custom machine work done just to keep it on the road, I'll get the 5 speed auto.

I've also read the V12 is a little doggy with the manual compared to the 5 speed.
    https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/...001222285.html

My Cars
    97 850CI

I avoided the 6 speed 8s for exactly that reason. I have always had manual toys, and can powershift with the best of them, and for that reason I went with a 97 850 to have the last US model year with the M73/5sp auto. No regrets. In my opinion, someone needs to bite the bullet and get on with a Tremec 6 speed conversion.
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi

I'm not sure what you mean by 'doggy' -- none of these cars were meant to be drag racers, so 0-60 times, while good, are not spectacular, particularly compared to more modern cars.

Amongst the 8ers, the M73 5-speed auto is the second quickest, with the manual CSi being first, but can you really even really feel a 0.3 or 0.5 second difference when you are driving? The 5-speed manual 850 comes in fourth, but the manual 840 (third) wasn't sold in the US. Also, I'm not including the Alpina versions -- if so, the 5.7 Alpina is quickest.

All of them are fun to drive. The gobs of torque and the relatively flat and broad torque curve means the V-12 just keeps going and going. I've taken on a couple Corvette owners who didn't understand why they couldn't leave me in the dust on the highway (although they no doubt could at any stoplight).

But these aren't race cars. They are fun to drive, comfortable GT cruisers. Owning one will either get into your soul, or be the most frustrating trouble prone car you've ever had (and sometimes, maybe both). The owners on this forum tend to be very passionate about their cars. Many (myself included) have spent crazy stupid amounts of money getting them 'just right'. Many (myself included, but less so as I get older) wrench on their own cars. Some do it as a cost savings measure, others for the simple joy of fixing things that others can't. But many buy a cheap 8er thinking they got a bargain, and later walk away in frustration when they realize how expensive or difficult the needed repairs are.

Your experience with an MG is probably more akin to what you can expect with owning an 850 than would owning a Porsche. But all of them can be fun.

Mike Barrett
    Last edited by mbarrett635; 10-22-2017 at 10:26 PM.
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by mbarrett635 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'doggy' -- none of these cars were meant to be drag racers, so 0-60 times, while good, are not spectacular, particularly compared to more modern cars.

Amongst the 8ers, the M73 5-speed auto is the second quickest, with the manual CSi being first, but can you really even really feel a 0.3 or 0.5 second difference when you are driving? The 5-speed manual 850 comes in fourth, but the manual 840 (third) wasn't sold in the US. Also, I'm not including the Alpina versions -- if so, the 5.7 Alpina is quickest.

All of them are fun to drive. The gobs of torque and the relatively flat and broad torque curve means the V-12 just keeps going and going. I've taken on a couple Corvette owners who didn't understand why they couldn't leave me in the dust on the highway (although they no doubt could at any stoplight).

But these aren't race cars. They are fun to drive, comfortable GT cruisers. Owning one will either get into your soul, or be the most frustrating trouble prone car you've ever had (and sometimes, maybe both). The owners on this forum tend to be very passionate about their cars. Many (myself included) have spent crazy stupid amounts of money getting them 'just right'. Many (myself included, but less so as I get older) wrench on their own cars. Some do it as a cost savings measure, more for the simple joy of fixing things that others can't. But many buy a cheap 8er thinking they got a bargain, and later walk away in frustration when they realize how expensive or difficult the needed repairs are.

Your experience with an MG is probably more akin to what you can expect with owning an 850 than would owning a Porsche. But all of them can be fun.

Mike Barrett
    Except for special SC model hehehe

My Cars
    1990's BMW dealership

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by CDO5OO1A View Post
    Yep!

So there was this corvette doin' 140 to 150 in the #1 so I came up behind him and flashed to pass I guess he thought I was kidding so he held the #1.
    ( I don't pass on the right ).

So I went around him on the left. When I looked over through my passenger window as I went by, his eyes were as big as silver dollars.

(I guess his brain couldn't fathom being passed at 140 to 150)

The following text is from a corvette forum-

... from the outside, at least, this was a stock C5, which means this car benefitted from the stock C5's exceptionally slippery 0.29 drag coefficient. The C6 ZR1, with its fancy ground effects and greater appetite for cool air, achieves a drag coefficient of 0.36; in other words, it's the brick in this comparison.

So a C5 has same 0.29 as 8-series but the C6 is 0.36 for air drag.

This story is why the 850i is the Boss.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Great story, but with the 850 limited to 155mph, the Corvette still had probably another 20 mph left in it (my C5 would eat my 850 all day long and twice on Sunday)...
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    Great story, but with the 850 limited to 155mph, the Corvette still had probably another 20 mph left in it (my C5 would eat my 850 all day long and twice on Sunday)...
    Although, IIRC, CD05001A has had his speed limiter removed? Plus, in my experience, a lot of Corvette owners start to get a little nervous as they push the limits (thank you, BMW M-School). LOL.

Mike Barrett
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast