Thread: Digital Dash Clock

My Cars
    1980 320i 5 speed

Digital Dash Clock

In the process of sorting out my newly acquired 1980 320i. Just replaced the leaking slave cylinder, (unbelievable how clean the undercarriage can be on a Northern California car, when viewed by Northeast eyes) When I received the car the 8 amp fuse for the turn signals, interior light and hazards was blown. The hazard switch of course did not stay in. Original owner has records showing it replaced 3 times in 134K miles. So I bought a cheap MTC switch from BAV because this is my 3rd E21 and I know the originals don't last so why not aftermarket? The MTC really looks cheaply made and the red cover fell off while I was installing it but it works! Problem is, the digital clock stays on all the time and I figure it's either the dash switch for the clock or there's another issue with the MTC hazard switch.

This could take a stupid amount of time to troubleshoot. Anyone experience something similar?

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

I had that problem with the clock staying on, I'd disconnect (-) battery terminal from the post for a few minutes, then reconnect the terminal on the battery and then reset the clock with a pick with key on in run or accessory position, you need to find the short(s) breaking the fuse(s) and repair it. I did not have fuses breaking though with clock staying on, in the long run I replaced the instrument cluster and the clock problem vanished along with other issues. The digital clock plugs into the tachometer board and has a button display time and reset the time- module that plugs in to the instrument cluster in the back of it. The digital clock works all the time it gets power from the battery- the obvious.

With no key in ignition pushing the clock button displays the time, with key in accessory or run position the time is displayed constantly.

jm2002 is selling an instrument cluster--right now---Check it out----this may solve your problems-----can pm him if interested or post interest in his fs thread, below, pik is the cluster, your from back east,, what do they say there ? oh He who hesitates is lost.

HPIM8776.jpg

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-320is-cluster

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 10-20-2017 at 10:38 PM.

My Cars
    1980 320i 5 speed
    I don't know why the fuse was blown. I didn't replace the fuse until I had the new hazard switch installed and now everything is working and the fuse is holding.
    Interesting point about the clock being connected to the tach board. The tach shows 2000 rpm at idle (and rests at 2000 when the engine is off) but the idle sounds normal like it's around a 1000 rpm or less. So that could be the source of the problem. Will look into another cluster if only to score another tach. Speedo and odo are fine and I want to "show off" the low mileage on the original odometer.

BTW, the tach did drop to 0 for a day and wouldn't register and then started to work again...................

My Cars
    1980 320i 5 speed
    I should mention that I'm returning here after 5 years away. This is my 3rd E21. The first was a 4 year old 81 320is in the mid 80s. Then the 82 when I was last on the board. In between my weekend drivers were a Volvo 242, an MG and a 944. Looked at a couple of E30s and considered getting a 2002, (hard to find one I can afford) but the truth is I love these "forgotten" 1st generation 3 series cars.

This 80 is as simple as it gets. Never had A/C, steel wheels which I favor, sunroof, and no right side mirror. Aim to keep it as original as possible.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Thats what I did, I exchanged the speedometer/odometer and the tachometer/Clock into the newer instrument cluster and it all worked better. He has a tach working though and a clock attached to it,,simple change odometer/speedometer,,

I'm keeping it original for now,, the future sees a blueprinted motor and other goodies pushing the block to 2.0 ect.. BMW did the prep and testing on 1.8L to 2.0 liters and had a list of all goodies to make this conversion,,its solid and the moniker is 320i after all not 318i. HP from 101 to about 120-125 hp and thence blueprinting and ultimate refinements for added HP, well its the ultimate driving machine.
    Factories blueprint the entire car-----yet its blueprinted to the middle of the road Joe and Jane Middle Income,,performance blueprint is another car entirely.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 10-20-2017 at 11:21 PM.

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Have you tried jumping the wire on the hazard switch harness to see if the clock turns off? The hazard switch is such a complicated design, and delicate as well. If one of the pins happens to contact another part inside of it, it will blow the fuse or cause other 12v thinks to stay on like the radio and the clock. I've gone through almost 10 fuses, 3 hazard switches, and an almost infinite amount of swear words trying to figure it out.

HazSwitchBypass_zps98a844bb.jpg

Stancing is for drivers trapped in an abusive relationship of their own lives.

My Cars
    1980 320i 5 speed
    Thanks for the pic. I haven't tried jumping the harness but will. When I first got the car the fuse was blown for the interior lights, key buzzer, hazard switch etc. The turn signals didn't work so I thought they were on the same fuse. Installed the new hazard switch and replaced the fuse and everything worked except that the clock stayed on.

After running down the battery I pulled the fuse and then realized that the turn signals worked anyway. So most likely the original faulty switch blew the fuse and also was shorted inside preventing the signals from getting power. I bought the cheap MTC switch which I regret but even though it's new it doesn't mean it's 100%. After further checking I may buy a factory switch as well just to be sure.

I can see this will be one of those frustrating efforts to correct. (but I will)

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

I'd would check the Button switch-its momentary, if it gets stuck the clock will on all the time, its a process of elimination and what ever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth--Sherlock Holmes
    The button switch acts like the key turned except its momentary by spring or leaf spring, the on all the time state of the clock when key is in and turned.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 10-28-2017 at 11:51 AM.

My Cars
    1980 320i 5 speed
    The clock switch seems to be free moving but that doesn't mean it's not hung up. Haven't had time to get into this but made an interesting discovery. When I shut the car off this afternoon the turn signal switch was still down in the left signal mode and with the ignition off and the key out the signals were still ticking away.

The ignition switch has a lot of free, loose travel between run and then back to off and to where you take the key out. Seems to be the likely culprit and makes sense that the clock would stay on too. When I'm done with my fall pre-winter house prepping I'll take a look at the electrical ignition switch.