Thread: Heads up display causing battery drain, need help!

My Cars
    2007 BMW X5 4.8

Heads up display causing battery drain, need help!

My 2007 BMW X5 has had a battery drain issue. I took it in recently and found out that my heads up display is not letting the car go to "sleep" which is causing the battery drain. The heads up display does not currently work and did not when I bought the car. The cost to replace it was nearing $6, 000 which is not a realistic idea. So I had asked to just disconnect it, so it would not "wake up" the car constantly. The only option that was presented to be besides replacing the whole unit was to bypass. I was told one could not simply turn it off or disconnect it because the fiber optics that go to it need to continue to function, therefore it would need to have a fiber-optic cable placed that bypasses the heads up display. But just having that cable placed was well over $1,000 in labor, as the parts, the cable itself is a fairly simple item.

Is there any other solution to turning the HUD off or disconnecting it so the car will not "wake up" that will not cost me thousands?

THANK YOU!

P

My Cars
    1997 m3
    Pull fuse 18 7.5amp in the junction box under the right side of dash. That is the power to the HUD.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2007 BMW X5 4.8
    That was my first thought also...will try it tomorrow. The dealer said that would not work, but i was having a hard time understanding why cutting the power would not stop the HUD from being able to "wake" up the car. They made it sound like the fiber optic cable had to be in in continuity for other systems to still be functional.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    About the fuse it depends what part the huds plays in the bus system, apparently the dealer cant loop the system at the hud connectors? There is something called the optical loop that you use for testing systems. We have used it to bypass the satallite module I believe. Because the sat module affects the ccc or m-ask when it goes bad. I would look up a good independent shop and see if they can bypass the hud.