Thread: The 240i is the best of the 2018 BMW line up! Forget the M2, forget the M3

My Cars
    BMW M-DINAN

Lightbulb The 240i is the best of the 2018 BMW line up! Forget the M2, forget the M3

So some history with my M-135i. This car was only produced for one year with this engine and “True Twin-Turbo.” This car was built using the 3 series Engine which was only done for one year. The same year the M3 was coup only. M 135i "Limited Edition" as I like to call it also has two separate turbo chargers making it a “True Twin-Turbo.” All years after this the turbo chargers were a duel-stacked single Turbo, making it a duel-turbo, not a TWIN TURBO which is different than a Bi-Turbo. As a result the car has a full 325HP with a weight to Horse-power / torque ratio higher than the M3 because the car is much lighter than the M3 with the 3 series engine and true Twin Turbos. The following year BMW no longer produced this car and changed the engine and the turbo to scale the HP back bringing it below the M3. To reiterate, the ones following the 09 did not have two actual separate turbos like this one does, but rather a stacked turbo which they referred to as two in one, or a Duel turbo, rather than a twin turbo. The turbo charges in the 09 M 135i are not sequential or in series, but rather are in parallel so it's two equally sized turbos making the HP and torque much higher. I reconfirmed this with several sources including BMW. Apparently BMW has done this several times over the years. For example, this year the M 240i is listed at 335HP but it's been tested and shows it's actually 369HP. The M2 is listed at 365HP, but tested at 361. So its actually lower than the spec sheets and the 240 is higher, putting it over the M2. It's not disclosed due to the fear that it would negatively impact the M2's sales. Several M2 and 240s were tested and the results were the same. This is too techy for general public to consume. A major corporation fudging technical specifications to assist in marketing and sales? Never.

Now.. today. What's your best bang for the buck? Well... The 2018 M3 is a 3.0 6 Inline pushing out 425 HP weighing in at 3,540 lbs with base price of essentially $64K. The M2 is a 3.0 6 Inline pushing out 361 HP (remember the BMW Specs are intentionally wrong with this car in 2018) weighing in at 3,450lbs, base price of basically $52,500. Now come the 240i... The M-240i is a 3.0 6 Inline pushing out 369HP (BMW Specs are intentionally wrong) with 414 foot-Pounds of torque weighing in at 3,498lbs with base price of $49,471K. Yes that's right, the M-240 has been tested as having 8 more HP off the line than the M2 and 56HP less than the M3.

So, if you take the M-240i to DINAN and have it "Certified" with (DINANTRONICS, Free Flow Exhaust, High Flow Intake, Spring Set, Bumpstop) Which will run you about $5K (So total cost is base basically $54,500) you'll end up with a car that has 430HP with about 480 foot-Pounds of torque. Getting the 240 loaded is basically $56K (Not a cheap car by any stretch of the imagination but cheaper than the M2 and cheaper than the M3). That outperforms both the M3 and the M2 and costs less. It's faster, handles better and is cheaper. Plus you get that cool DINAN badge. You would have to invest about 8-9K in the M2 on top of it's base price to beat the DINAN M-240i, brining the M2 to a base cost of $60,500 - $61,500. The B58 Engine of the 240i is considered by the industry to be a much more versatile and malleable engine that can be upgraded for a fraction of the cost bringing in the same zone as the M3 at thousands of dollars less in cost. And DINAN modifications are BMW approved and within BMW warranty. They are the approved official modification company for BMW International. The work is done at the dealer.

Just my dos centavos.
    Last edited by Kenpo Karate; 10-26-2017 at 09:17 AM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    BMW never has and never will build a V6 engine.

My Cars
    BMW M-DINAN
    Bayerische Motoren Werke AG in English is Bavarian Motor Works or BMW, is a German based standard vehicle, sports car, motorcycle, and engine manufacturing company that was founded in 1916 and has been producing engines. They have plants all over the world. Engines are built in Munich (Approximately 7,800 employees) and the cars assembled in Frankfurt and you can go visit and do a tour, its pretty cool. So the M3 is a "3.2L S54B32 I6" The B32 engine (M3 engine) is a 6 -Inline. The 6 cylinder inline is often referred to as a I6 or an L6. The M3 has a I6, or inline engine. The M2 is an Intercooled Turbo Premium Unleaded I6 which is the Inline engine. The 240i is a 3.0-liter M Performance Twin-Power Turbo inline 6-cylinder so also an inline engine. In all three of them the six cylinders are mounted in a straight line along the crankcase, so that means that the pistons are all pushing a shared or common crankshaft. Makes it run smoother one of the many. many reasons that leads to feel being so awesome to drive these cars. "Currently, US bound cars are produced at 6 BMW facilities around the globe and 1 model is out-sourced. Factories may produce specific models, variants or a variety of each. Additional facilities produce cars for other markets outside of the US." Roslyn, South Africa, Spartanburg, USA, Graz, Austria are three plants where the cars and engines are also built. Either way they are all part of BMW and they produce 6 cylinder engines.
    Last edited by Kenpo Karate; 10-26-2017 at 09:15 AM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Let repeat: BMW never has and never will build a V6 engine. You’ve written (copy and paste) that the M3 has a V6 in-line engine. There is no such thing. An engine is EITHER inline or a “V.” I’ve owned and worked in BMWs since 1974. Last month I picked my fifth NMW, a 2018 M240i. He’s a beast. He has an INLINE 6 cylinder engine, just like my previous 2 car’s. FYI, my first 2 BMWs had 4 cylinder engines.

My Cars
    BMW M-DINAN
    No idea why I kept putting that when I was typing, correct inline is straight and v is well, v shaped. My apologies for my mistypes. I got all carried away with talking about the six, wasn't even paying close attention. I'm looking forward to ordering my second BMW, which will be the M-240i. I'm also looking forward to DINAN and having it certified by them by getting the new DINATONICS Stage 3, High Performance intake, DINAN Exhaust, bump-stops and springs. It will dramatically increase it's performance capabilities and will have circa 430-435HP when done.

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Generally speaking, this entire argument is solely based on power. There is a LOT more to an M car and the HP numbers. By the time you give that 240 the Dinan treatment with power mods, suspension, etc. you have most certainly spent more than a M2 and are probably even approaching M3/4 territory. And it would still be arguable if that Dinan 240 is better than an M car. If "better" to someone is solely based on a HP number, then sure why not.

My Cars
    BMW M-DINAN
    Interesting point. Thank you so much for commenting, I greatly appreciate it as all this is an ongoing education for me. I'm just a novice in this very wide world. If you would indulge me and allow me to explain my stance and what I have learned though my research speaking with track modification companies, race car drivers, engineers and sales staff as well as my readings.

WHAT IS DRIVING A FAST CAR AND WHY? SACRIFICES?

To me starting off with the general concept of what is a sports car VS a standard vehicle. Generally people give up some comfort and perhaps some amenities for a car that’s fast, handles well, and let’s be honest look kind of bad-ass-cool and just looks “Fast.” I lived in Italy and I remember getting in to a Ferrari and a Lamborghini (Which are more common in Italy than one would think) which both looked to me at the time like pure-speed. I fell in love with the Lamborghini like looking at a gorgeous Italian Super-Model. The Ferrari felt like a race car on the street. However, interestingly enough it didn’t have A/C or a radio. I was like huh? WTH? This car is god knows how much money and no radio or A/C? It was explained to me that you give some things up to be in Ferrari. Now many Ferrari’s and Lamborghinis do have A/C I was just using that specific instance as an example. Maybe it’s the ride, or comfort of the seat, giving up back seats etc. Obviously it depends on the car and the model. That car was a fun ride to say the least. Now my cousin who lived in Bari Italy had a Lancia which I have never seen in the United States as I do not believe they are sold outside of Italy. His car was an awesome Sports car and man that thing could move. It scared me as much as the Ferrari. I don’t remember what model it was but I remember that car scared the hell out of me. It looked cool (not as cool as the Ferrari or the Lamborghini) but was a beast of power (for the time). This brings me to a “feeling” and “Impression” that I have carried with me, that sometimes you can get a car that is bad-ass-fast, handles like a demon and not give things up. The M2 and even the M3 you must make some sacrifices such as if you want a convertible or the ride well too bad. There are some sacrifices that are made to have the ability to say “I have an M2 or I have an M3” Yes, there are some differences that you can see when looking at the engine specifications, suspension and a few other items.

WHAT IS A SPORTS CAR?

Well strictly speaking it’s a “Low-built car designed for performance at high speeds.” That’s it. Pretty basic. Now, what is the bottom line when you talk about a sports car? Truthfully the bottom line is both handling (Suspension and steering to perform at high speeds) and well… speed (Torque/acceleration/top speed). The rest is really ancillary, it’s really about how fast does the thing go and how well does it drive when your going fast (mostly in corners).

COMPARISON:

The M3 has 425 HP, the M2 has 361 (Not 365!) and the M240i DINAN has 435HP. The M2 DINAN has a faster 0-60, higher torque and HP to weight ratio and has a more malleable/versatile engine than the M2/M3. Handling and driving is the next area of true core concern when talking about a sports car. Performance at high speeds. I have read several articles and spoken with some professionals that have identified DINAN modified suspension systems (among other modification companies) as superior and more track worthy compared to manufacturer suspension systems. So essentially throw bump stops, springs, or maybe a Coil-Over, perhaps a short throw for good measure, maybe pressure plates or a bushing or camber plate and the M2/M3 can be considered smoked. So now I have a car that is faster, handles better and guess what I didn’t have to give any stuff up other than not being able to say I have an M2/M3. So it depends how important loss of bragging rights are for individuals. Mechanics, my buddy and his friends that professionally race cars, engineers, and sales people all have said what do you loose? Bragging rights of an M2 or M3 because they are not better than a DINAN modified track car. I have learned that DINAN is highly respected in the industry. Bring an M2 or M3 and I’ll smoke it on the track with a DINAN car. To me (Being a Sport-Biker) it’s the rubber meeting the road that truly matters. The speeds I can do in a car are child’s play compared to my Sport-Bike.
    I have been speaking on the phone with various companies on the West coast and east coast that modify cars for tracks and unanimously they advise me to go with the M240i and take it to DINAN over an M2/M3 (so as not to void the warranties). Mechanics, drivers, engineers and sales people alike have been telling me that if people could get over the brand recognition feeling of an M2/M3 and understand the B58 engine and what its capabilities are, that car aficionados and racers alike have been recommending the M240i DINAN as the way to go. I have had some great educational conversations with some great guys that do this for a living and not a single one has said that the M2/M3 is the way to go over a DINAN car.

COST

Getting DINAN engine modifications and suspension modifications put in the M240i at an MSRP of 45K plus approximately 7K in DINAN modifications makes for a total cost that’s lower than both the other cars and is faster and will outperform an M2/M3. I want the convertible which throws an additional factor plus 6K on the cost of the car and oh yeah the M2/M3 are coup only so if you want the speed with a rag top, M2/M3? No dice. So even adding in the Convertible that’s thousands less with 435HP and a track ready suspension system and short-throw gear.

M2 – $54,050 Base Price
    · No convertible available
    · No interior options available
    · 361HP
    · 0-60 4.1

M3 – $65,500 ($76,350 with very basic options) Base Price
    · No convertible available
    · 425HP
    · 0-60 3.9

M240i – $43,500 Base Price plus DINAN ($50,500)
    · 435HP
    · DINAN Track suspension package, Intake, exhaust, DINATRONICS
    · Add Convertible $6k
    · 0-60 (Estimated at 3.7 seconds based on prior track tests of similar BMW DINAN modified vehicles)

Coup DINAN M Performance = $50,500 ($4,050 less than the M2 & $15,000 -$25,850 less than the M3) – and it outperforms both the M2 & M3. That is significantly less money. And again if you want a convertible then the M3 and M2 can’t help you. Also, the M3 is too big for my taste, it’s basically what I call a daddy car or an Old man’s mid life crisis vehicle because it’s a boat, a big two door sedan made fast so as far as I’m concerned you might as well buy the 640HP 6.2L Supercharged Cadillac and smoke the M3 as an arrested development vehicle. The two series is already pushing it as far as size. The one Series was closer to Sports car size, unless it’s some beautiful and amazing ground hugging space ship like a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Audi R8 or a McLaren.

Now with all that said, in the end apples to apples it’s the Indian and not the bow when it comes to driving fast and well. I was fortunate in that my job required me to go through a lot of high speed and emergency driving schools. Of course from a pure “Need for Speed” standpoint I have my Yamaha YZF which will smoke anything on four wheels with a 0-60 of under 3 seconds and 0-180 in under 17 seconds. And my Bike isn’t considered fast compared to the MTT Turbine or the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-1 that are 0-60 in under 2.5 seconds. Anyone that wants real speed needs to mount a saddle and ride.

Just my dos centavos and again, I barely know what the heck I'm talking about, I'm just going on what my journey is revealing to me by better educated people in this field than I. Also, please excuse any typos or misspelling.
    Last edited by Kenpo Karate; 10-27-2017 at 11:42 AM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Hey guys,

I just bought a 2018 M240i (M Performance pkg). The rush I get every time I jump in the drivers seat is priceless. I'm leasing it and will be ready for an M4 Euro delivery in 3 years. In the meantime, I'm going to tear up this pocket rocket.

Here's a video I made on the first full-day I had it: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ0cl7SB...ken-by=foxkari

My Cars
    Z3 coupe, Z3 Roadster, Z
    I've only got an M235i with stage 1 Dinan and really enjoy the car. Looked at trading up to an M4 the other day and it's a fantastic car. Just too big for me. Feels like 5s used to. I like small cars, so for me the 1s and 2s are the way to roll. Looked at the specs on my 2001 330Ci and it's pretty much the same size as the 235.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Quote Originally Posted by mybmwhabit View Post
    I've only got an M235i with stage 1 Dinan and really enjoy the car. Looked at trading up to an M4 the other day and it's a fantastic car. Just too big for me. Feels like 5s used to. I like small cars, so for me the 1s and 2s are the way to roll. Looked at the specs on my 2001 330Ci and it's pretty much the same size as the 235.
    Check out the M240i. It’s a rocket.