Thread: taking vert to a track

My Cars
    1997 328ic

taking vert to a track

I built up my e36 vert and I am having lots of fun for daily driving, but would love to do a beginner day at the track (not drag strip) that's not too far from me to really push its potential (plus there are no public twisties in FL). The problem is, it doesn't have rollover protection and I don't have a garage to buy and keep a hardtop or to install a roll bar. Is roll over too big of a risk for this? What can you tell me? Thanks!
    m50 mani / AA c38-81 stage 2 / 12psi / AEM progressive w/m kit / stg3 SB endurance clutch + SS / 3.38 LSD / cdv + asc delete / stromung catback + cat delete / ebay coilovers + GC RSMs / square CSL wheels / ski-pass 8" sub

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Most, if not all, clubs will require a roll bar. There's no way you want to go on track in a vert without one anyway.

You can do autocross, though. Check that out.

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Cars roll over. Buy a $1000 E30 325, replace any worn hoses, belts, suspension and brake parts, and track that. Any organization that will let you track an open top car without SCCA-style roll protection probably isn't a club you should run with.

Or autocross.
    Dan Chadwick
    Boston Chapter BMW CCA Instructor Development.
    Near-Orbital Space Monkeys, E30 M50-ish
    Driving Evals on-line evaluations for Driving Schools. Paper forms are just wrong.

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Do E36 verts not have the pop-up rollover bars? Most orgs in my area will allow cars with factory rollover protection, but not cars without unless they have a rollbar.

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    thanks everyone. i think 97 and older verts didn't have them.. or maybe it was premium feature?
    in any case after posting here I've emailed the organizer of this event and he said a vert without rollover protection is not an issue. Probably because this is in a more controlled environment vs individual track day that you buy on your own? so I might give it a try

Performance Driving Group (www.performancedrivinggroup.com) is our preferred partner for public track days. The group typically hosts events on a monthly basis and you can pre-register online or onsite. PDG offers track time from 9 am to 5 pm split into three groups (beginner, intermediate, and advanced) with restricted passing in the first two. In-car instruction is offered for first time track participants, and a light breakfast and sit-down lunch is included for a total day fee of $350
    m50 mani / AA c38-81 stage 2 / 12psi / AEM progressive w/m kit / stg3 SB endurance clutch + SS / 3.38 LSD / cdv + asc delete / stromung catback + cat delete / ebay coilovers + GC RSMs / square CSL wheels / ski-pass 8" sub

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    You asked a question, didn't like the answer, and disregarded it. Your choice of course. I'll take one last swing:

Race car: You'll be fine (so long as you don't die for other reason)
    Stock sedan/coupe: You'll probably be fine (so long as you don't get unlucky and have the whole roof collapse the A and B pillars)
    Convertible w/o roll protection: You and your instructor are dead

I was at the track when this happened: https://www.facebook.com/272CrashInfo/

I suggest you start with a reputable not-for-profit organization dedicated to safe, fun, and effective driving EDUCATION: BMW CCA, PCA, AUDI (NAAC), SCCA, etc.
    Last edited by Evergreen Dan; 10-20-2017 at 06:12 PM.
    Dan Chadwick
    Boston Chapter BMW CCA Instructor Development.
    Near-Orbital Space Monkeys, E30 M50-ish
    Driving Evals on-line evaluations for Driving Schools. Paper forms are just wrong.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergreen Dan View Post
    You asked a question, didn't like the answer, and disregarded it. You're choice of course. I'll take one last swing:

Race car: You'll be fine (so long as you don't die for other reason)
    Stock sedan/coupe: You'll probably be fine (so long as you don't get unlucky and have the whole roof collapse the A and B pillars)
    Convertible w/o roll protection: You and your instructor are dead

I was at the track when this happened: https://www.facebook.com/272CrashInfo/

I suggest you start with a reputable not-for-profit organization dedicated to safe, fun, and effective driving EDUCATION: BMW CCA, PCA, AUDI (NAAC), SCCA, etc.
    This. I wouldn't recommend "open track" type groups even with proper safety. Especially for a first timer. For the same price you can get in-car instruction, classroom sessions, and a proper focus on safety, track etiquette, car control, etc. with a group like BMWCCA.

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    I took every response into account, none are disregarded. Just doing my research on topic, thanks for input.

My Cars
    E36 Track Rat, E46 M3 DD
    I would personally not run with any group that only required an instructor for the first time out. Does that mean that the guys out there with you going 100+ mph with exactly 1 track day under their belt have no instructor? I have progressed up to B group in the BMWCCA and still like having an instructor available for some of the sessions, and there were certainly guys on track with me in C Group (BMW goes from D to A) that I was happy had an instructor in the right seat to keep them from doing something dumb in front of me.

If you want to use the vert for a track car, spend the $500 for a bolt-in bar, and find a group like the BMWCCA that has a focus on safety and instruction. Any group that lets convertibles out with no roll bar, and allows you to solo after one track day are not focused on safety or instruction.

My Cars
    3 - E30 M3s, '04 Ford F350, '06 Audi A3
    Quote Originally Posted by verobeach97 View Post
    thanks everyone. i think 97 and older verts didn't have them.. or maybe it was premium feature?
    in any case after posting here I've emailed the organizer of this event and he said a vert without rollover protection is not an issue. Probably because this is in a more controlled environment vs individual track day that you buy on your own? so I might give it a try

Performance Driving Group (www.performancedrivinggroup.com) is our preferred partner for public track days. The group typically hosts events on a monthly basis and you can pre-register online or onsite. PDG offers track time from 9 am to 5 pm split into three groups (beginner, intermediate, and advanced) with restricted passing in the first two. In-car instruction is offered for first time track participants, and a light breakfast and sit-down lunch is included for a total day fee of $350
    Looking at their tech requirements the group you posted still requires roll protection for open top cars so you still do not meet the minimum to get on track with them.
    Convertibles are great cars,,, but they are NOT track cars (unless you put a cage in them,,, then they are no longer great open top street cars).
    To get on track with almost any club you are going to need an instructor at least once. Even the really really shady ones send an instructor out for a session or two.
    No club I am aware of will put an instructor out in a car on track without roll protection (I know I won't do it).

I would suggest you have two courses of action with a really distant questionable 3rd possibility:

1) If getting on track is the important thing (not getting on track in "your" car) rent a spec miata for a day or two to see if the track is for you

2) If getting on track in "your" car is whats important to you,,, put roll protection in it.

By far the worst option:
    3) You keep downgrading assorted low level track rental clubs till you find one that will let you out on track with a convertible and no instructor.

FWIW - The tech sheet from that club you linked to:
    Last edited by jimmypet; 10-21-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    jimmy p.

88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car 2.0 Litre
    04 Ford F350 - V10
    06 Audi A3 Brilliant Red / 2.0 / DSG