I bought a 2014 X3 in 2015. The owner had lost a fob so I only had one-- no comfort entry, just the fob with the inserted key.

I lost the fob and ordered a new one from BMW-- $450. It arrived today.

Immediately, this fob did not unlock doors, etc. When I used the manual key to open the door, the alarm went off. The fob wouldn't pair and start the car. When I tried to start, no messages came up, even those saying key fob wasn't detected. Alarm still sounds, green light by sunroof controls works, red light on back of rear view mirror still flashes. When alarm goes off, blinkers come on.

Dealership is telling me that it's the battery. I hooked up a professional battery charger and nothing changed. They are telling me it must be the battery that needs to be changed. I can't get into trunk because button inside car to unlock doors doesn't work and rear door has no keyhole for manual key.

They are telling me it must be electrical and it needs to come in. That requires it being towed to the port, shipped from my island to Oahu, towed to the dealership and then shipped back if/when fixed-- probably about $1000.

My gut is somehow the vehicle thinks it is being broken into and won't start because of that. Tech tells me that is not a feature.

Please help. I feel like this is either the wrong fob I was sent or I'm missing information with how to activate it with the car.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.