Thread: What connects to door wiring harness?

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

What connects to door wiring harness?

I suspect a wiring problem to passenger door but not in door itself since all door electronics are out (window, lock, speaker, etc). What wiring goes to the door wire harness? I assume just behind/below glove box.

2000 M Roadster

My Cars
    1997 m3
    If you open the door and look in the door hinge area, you’ll see a black boot mid door. That’s where the door harness goes into the car. The harness is bolted onto the body with A 8mm screw I believe. Unscrew it and pull the plug out. That’s where the two harnesses are joined. The body side plug tends to go through into the body if to much pressure is applied. Sounds like it might be unplugged. Don’t be afraid to get a little physical with the harness as it can be a pain to get out.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    I expect that you've got one or more broken wires on the door-side of the connector mentioned above. I've made that diagnosis and repair enough times for it to be commonplace.

The same applies to trunk/hatch wiring, and their associated devices (latch actuators 3rd brake lights, etc.).

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    So, it looks like i had a small animal chew one or more/all wires car side. Had similar problem with central console wiring since replaced. Before i tear that glove box out, etc, I'd like to get the necessary wiring ordered. Anyone know what that would be?

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Probing a bit more, I was able to reveal the wiring on the car side as shown in attached photo. Before taking apart these panels, I'd like to order the correct wiring replacement(s). Any idea on what wiring set this would be? The breakout is not clear.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Aui2ACwgkZrivZw0FO9x1ZM9njVdPQ

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Why can't you just clean up the ends and splice/solder them back together? Should be enough slack in the individual conductors to accomplish that.

Otherwise, you're talking about replacing the main harness; not much in the way of sub-harnesses here.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Why can't you just clean up the ends and splice/solder them back together? Should be enough slack in the individual conductors to accomplish that.

Otherwise, you're talking about replacing the main harness; not much in the way of sub-harnesses here.
    Dang, I was afraid that might be the main electrical harness. I'll have to try to splice and solder them then.

My Cars
    1997 z3 roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachJonno View Post
    Dang, I was afraid that might be the main electrical harness. I'll have to try to splice and solder them then.
    Easier than a new harness. Try some heat shrink solder sleeve butt connectors.
    It's a Hybrid--Burns Gas and Rubber

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedZ View Post
    +1

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedZ View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. I assume by the link you provided that I would need the 12-10 gauge size for this type of application?

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Looking at the photo link posted in the thread above, is anyone aware of detailed instructions on how to get to that main wiring harness just in front of door (below glove box)?

My Cars
    1997 z3 roadster
    Thanks for the recommendation. I assume by the link you provided that I would need the 12-10 gauge size for this type of application?
    Not necessarily, I haven't actually looked at the wires and sizes. I have used these though.
    It's a Hybrid--Burns Gas and Rubber

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Looking at the photo link posted in the thread above, is anyone aware of detailed instructions on how to get to that main wiring harness just in front of door (below glove box)?
    Here's a link to Leather Z installation instructions for a footwell light kit. Note that the glove box shown is a Euro style. When removing the glove box, the trick is to drop the outside down as low as possible while pushing up on the console side. Be gentle. The plastic bits of the glove box assembly behind the center console are easy to break.

This is a good time to repair the glove box if it has a sag or other broken bits. The footwell light kit is cool too and a nice addition to our cars. If you do it, note that the footwell lights will not come on manually when you turn on the light at the center of the windshield, but only when the doors open.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/13...12996760541045
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES