Thread: How to remove hood emblem

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 convertible

How to remove hood emblem

I just got a new hood emblem, how do you get the old one off without damaging anything?

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello - take a look at the link below for the procedure.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...30-Roundel.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post

Oh sure, just answer his question with a quick step-by-step that covers it in perfect detail and clarity why don't ya--sheesh.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post

I followed the instructions on the link and that sucker is on there so tight It is not budging, I even ended up damaging the old emblem a little. is there an alternative way to get that thing off there

My Cars
    z3
    Perhaps it was not installed properly. Normally it is just held in with the friction of the plastic "pegs" against the rubber grommet. Not uncommon for people to glue them on. If it is really putting up resistance, be careful... careful prying, maybe careful application of a solvent like goo gone or something, can help if it is glued

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Maybe too late to matter__for you__now, but ve haf udder vays...

I do not know who's method this was, but I remember first seeing it close to seventeen (17) years ago, when I was on my initial quest__initial immersion perhaps__to absorb any and all information about BMWs.

From the backside, pull the little grommets through the hood with a pair of needle-nosed pliers (still having nice sharp serrations).

There's a good chance that you'll render the grommets beyond reusable, but at ZERO RISK to the exterior paint finish.

For a worst case scenario__if it turns out to be glued__then work the pins back and forth with the n/n pliers until they break off. This may then render the emblem unusable too, but the outside world will never suspect!

Upon reinstalling, use a little detail spray (or water/alcohol mix) to lubricate the pins & grommets, or the emblem my not sit perfectly flat on the surface, due to the memory spring-back of the rubber (like the way your disc brake pistons retract upon releasing the pedal).

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 convertible
    before I do that I guess I will have to order a set of grommets since I will destroy the ones that are there in the process

My Cars
    Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97
    Plastic crate strap. work it under one side up to the middle then the other side, now you have a handle to pop it right off with.
    'Sweetness Tres' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97 Boston Green 66K Smiles Mine
    'Sweetness Too' M52, 2.5L Z3 5-Speed Roadster, '00 Jet Black 165K Smiles 2022 Gone Ins Co Total in Jan 2022- Right Front Collision - Paid $8850 !!
    'Ol' Black Betty' S52, 3.2L ///M3 5-Speed Vert '98 Cosmos Black 265K Smiles Wifeys
    M50, 2.5L 525i E34 Tragi-matic '95 Sedan Alpine White III 238K Smiles Was Daughters Mine Again
    'Gretchen' M30, 3.5L 535i E34 Tragi-matic '90 Sedan Glacier Blue/Indigo 144K Smiles 2018 Gone & I miss her
    'Sweetness' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '96 Boston Green 264K Smiles Was Mine Ins Co Total in Jan 2013- Rear End Collision - Paid $4800 !!

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by ZUUD BYE View Post
    Plastic crate strap. work it under one side up to the middle then the other side, now you have a handle to pop it right off with.
    I like it!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Another method to get under emblems and logo without hurting paint is with dental floss or another strong but soft string. I use this method at work frequently to remove and reposition the tags I engrave. The only time this will ever damage the paint is if the paint was already separated, or if there is debris under the emblem.

If adhesive is involved, mineral spirits or heat usually break it down without damage. Make sure you spot test the mineral spirits on the paint in a hidden area, and note that you can totally burn paint with a heat gun.

My Cars
    z3
    If its glued on none of the helpful tricks will really help, the only answer is trying to get some solvents underneath the badge to break apart whatever adhesive was used. Plastic trim removal tools will be helpful as they will let you get a lot of leverage against it without damaging the paint

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 convertible
    Tried everything except the under hood thing, I managed to break part of the old emblem, and other thoughts, I hate to run to the stealership to buy those grommets