Thread: May have over filled my transmission

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i

May have over filled my transmission

Got a "Trans Fail-Safe Prog" a week or so ago. It seemed to hang in one gear when it happened, and made a "clunk" switching from park. Checked the level and didn't see anything, so I added a quart. For the life of my I couldn't see the level, so I added a little more (less than 1/2). Took it out for a little cruise (just up to the store a couple of times), and it seemed to be ok. Changed my oil to Mobile 1 today, and took it for a longer cruise. Opened the hood to check the oil, and it was smoking from the rear of the engine. Oil level was the same as when I left, but still couldn't really see the trany level until I put it against something white. Then I think it was past the indicators (although I really still can't see it that well). Put a piece of cardboard under the car, and there are no drips anywhere. Do I need drain some? Is there an overflow? Thoughts?
    Thanks.
    My Cars - 1991 BMW 850i - mine for fun, 1993 Saab 900c - mine for fun, 2008 Lexus is250 - my daily driver, 2003 Dodge Durango - my wife's, 1994 Acura Legend - gave it to kid

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2015 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloRock View Post
    Got a "Trans Fail-Safe Prog" a week or so ago. It seemed to hang in one gear when it happened, and made a "clunk" switching from park. Checked the level and didn't see anything, so I added a quart. For the life of my I couldn't see the level, so I added a little more (less than 1/2). Took it out for a little cruise (just up to the store a couple of times), and it seemed to be ok. Changed my oil to Mobile 1 today, and took it for a longer cruise. Opened the hood to check the oil, and it was smoking from the rear of the engine. Oil level was the same as when I left, but still couldn't really see the trany level until I put it against something white. Then I think it was past the indicators (although I really still can't see it that well). Put a piece of cardboard under the car, and there are no drips anywhere. Do I need drain some? Is there an overflow? Thoughts?
    Thanks.
    I miss ur GD icon. As for the trans dipstick, not sure why a bunch of brilliant engineers thought I'd be a good idea to use a black tip, I have an impossible time also trying to see the level.
    Wish I had some advice for you...just sympathy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Still use my GD icon on avs forum. My tip is tan, and I really can't see the level at all. Thought it was real low because of the msg, but now afraid I over filled. Runs good, just smoking.
    My Cars - 1991 BMW 850i - mine for fun, 1993 Saab 900c - mine for fun, 2008 Lexus is250 - my daily driver, 2003 Dodge Durango - my wife's, 1994 Acura Legend - gave it to kid

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Did you check the trans fluid the correct way? https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...king-procedure
    There is a breather valve on the rear top of the transmission. In case there is too much ATF in the trans and the ATF is foaming, then there it will come out, but not in engine bay.
    Unless the breather valve is clogged.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Yes, I did check it correctly. (didn't see that thread until after, but found a couple of others that explained it [although not as detailed as that one]). I did it after a long cruise when the error popped up. The only thing I didn't do was run the AC. I don't think the engine was smoking, but coming up from the tranny area (up from behind the clean air intake). But checking the level after it was smoking, I still wasn't able to really see the level (so I don't think there was any foaming).

My Cars
    84 633, 91 M5, 91 850
    I also have a tough time reading the dipstick. What I found is that it tends to rub against the side of the pipe and show an incorrect reading- looking at it very carefully all the way around seemed to help.

How do you measure the transmission temperature? I'm not able to read the transmission using DIS (1991 850i). Would an infrared temp gun pointed at the transmission fluid pan be OK?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Infrared temp gun is o.k., or touch the trans pan with your hand = handwarm.
    The transmission temperature must be between 30°C and 50°C before checking can begin, but better stick to 30 degree C.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!