Thread: CCM parasitic draw - twice in two years!!!???

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)

CCM parasitic draw - twice in two years!!!???

Hi all; first, please bear with me, as I'm not that good with electrical stuff.

I got my car (last year in June) with a known parasitic draw which I traced to the CCM (reading around, I found it's not that uncommon for them to go bad); I got a used one for cheap from the fleabay, problem solved, no issues during the whole year, until this morning: battery flat, charged ok, traced the draw to the CCM again...

My question/not question is, since the replacement CCM was a used one, I guess it was "normal" it lasted all this time and finally failed? or should I be concerned about "something else"?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I've never had one fail myself.
    I also have a few of them removed from parts cars so let me know if you want to try another, I ain't using them.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Thank you so much for the offer, I ordered one from ebay earlier today... I thought "what the heck, did the same last year and lasted all this time, and for $10... (but again, thank you!)

As I said in my initial post, last year while searching around I found several people complaining about CCM problems (either failing and making cluster functions all wacky, or draining the battery, like mine); odd thing is mine have both acted out the same way, i.e., no symptoms until one day the battery is totally flat... This time, readings with a multimeter went from 0.23A with the CCM installed to 0.01A without it, so I assume, knock on wood, that is the entire problem... plus the fact that it worked ok for an entire year...

Anyways, I think my course of action will be the same as the last time: replacement CCM, check the readings, and see if it's fixed. I'd still like to know if somebody else has had a similar experience, or if someone can shed more light about it.
    Last edited by The Chauffeur; 10-20-2017 at 01:53 PM.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    How is the battery itself? Myself and others have spent some quality time tracing electronic ghosts only to have them never return with a proper fresh battery. Just a thought!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Yeah, that was my first thought, also. Cheapy wallyworld battery, basically new when I got the car; charged with no apparent issues, though... I do plan to keep an eye on it. Luckily it went flat on me just once, hope it wasn't enough to do any damage; maybe I'll take it to the "Peps" to get tested...