Thread: Just bought 2013 X3, have issue

My Cars
    2013 BMW X3

Just bought 2013 X3, have issue

Hey All!

I'm a first time BMW owner and just bought a used 2013 BMW X3 from an Audi dealership. The car only has 45k miles on it and had a clean carfax with only one owner. I've had the car for about 20 days and while sitting at a stop light saw "transmission fault, drive moderately" come up. The warning went away when I started driving again, but it definitely concerns me.

Anyway, I scheduled to bring the car in to the Audi dealership this Tuesday, because they sold the car with a 30 day dealer warranty that covers engine and transmission.

So, obviously I'm a bit upset that I was just sold a car and am having an issue and haven't even had it a month! Do you guys have any advice for me when I bring it to the Audi dealership? Do you think they can even work on a BMW and will be able to figure out what the problem is or do you think they will give me the run around until the 30 days is up, then say they can't cover any issues? I guess I won't know until I go there.

Should I ask for a copy of any error codes that they read, and do you think the car would generate one? No other service lights are on (check engine, etc) and the warning only popped up briefly. I'd appreciate any input or advice!

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    I would think an Audi dealer would not have the proper BMW diagnostic tools to read your fault codes and such. But if they've given you a warranty, that's their problem. Let them figure it out and force them to pay for a BMW dealer to fix it if they can't fix it themselves. Also, you can get a BMW-specific code reader tool like Carista to check the codes yourself (it's cheap).

Quote Originally Posted by royalewitcheese View Post
    Hey All!

I'm a first time BMW owner and just bought a used 2013 BMW X3 from an Audi dealership. The car only has 45k miles on it and had a clean carfax with only one owner. I've had the car for about 20 days and while sitting at a stop light saw "transmission fault, drive moderately" come up. The warning went away when I started driving again, but it definitely concerns me.

Anyway, I scheduled to bring the car in to the Audi dealership this Tuesday, because they sold the car with a 30 day dealer warranty that covers engine and transmission.

So, obviously I'm a bit upset that I was just sold a car and am having an issue and haven't even had it a month! Do you guys have any advice for me when I bring it to the Audi dealership? Do you think they can even work on a BMW and will be able to figure out what the problem is or do you think they will give me the run around until the 30 days is up, then say they can't cover any issues? I guess I won't know until I go there.

Should I ask for a copy of any error codes that they read, and do you think the car would generate one? No other service lights are on (check engine, etc) and the warning only popped up briefly. I'd appreciate any input or advice!
    I too have a 13 X3. The tran light can come on if you activate a safety feature such as DSC while coming to a stop or driving while hydroplaning. The error is short lived. I've noticed many more check engine light warnings that go away on their own also.
    I bought a 39 dollar code reader, and aside from an occasional O2 sensor reading failure, nothing has ever come up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    Quote Originally Posted by dano1200r View Post
    I too have a 13 X3. The tran light can come on if you activate a safety feature such as DSC while coming to a stop or driving while hydroplaning. The error is short lived. I've noticed many more check engine light warnings that go away on their own also.
    I bought a 39 dollar code reader, and aside from an occasional O2 sensor reading failure, nothing has ever come up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Yeah but those standard OBD2 code readers never have access to the DSC system or any other system except the drivetrain (engine and transmission). So you need a tool like Carista to actually diagnose those. It's actually the same price for 1-time use.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2013 BMW X3
    Was it transmission fault or drive train fault--drive moderately message? My 2013 X3 55K miles did the same thing ( the error message called out drive train) and the BMW dealer had to replace the EPDW (electro pneumatic pressure converter) in the turbocharger. It happened 3 times. The error message goes away and it drove OK, just as yours. Now it has to go back to the dealer due to it not passing the Texas annual vehicle inspection. The test is saying the catalyst and O2 sensor are (not ready). This happened within a month of the EPDW replacement. No check engine light or other error message. My X3 is certified pre-owned, had it almost a year and put 12k miles on it. The scary part of this error message is the fact that it could call out a sensor or engine replacement per this forum. Needless to say I'm not a happy camper, either.