Thread: Beware: Disconnecting Battery

My Cars
    '11 335is Vert

Beware: Disconnecting Battery

I recently had to change out the HPFP in my 2011 335is Vert. I don't remember where I found the DIY, but do a search and it will be very helpful.

Anyway, the reason for this post is to WARN you that if you disconnect your battery, DO NOT close your trunk! BMW apparently decided to eliminate the trunk key lock cylinder after 2009. So from 2010 onward, the trunk is to be opened with either your remote or the button inside the car.

See where this is going?! Yeah, my car was in the driveway, so I disconnected the battery the night before I was going to swap out the HPFP, as per the DIY - to let the fuel system depressurize. Don't know if that step was truly necessary, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

So, after swapping in my new/remanufactured HPFP, I couldn't open the trunk to reconnect the battery. Online research yielded several bits of advice, ranging from putting power to the lugs under the hood, taking apart the rear license plate lights to get to the lock wiring, going in through the ski bag (if your car has that option), etc.

BINGO! For me - go through the ski bag. You can pop off the inside cover, be careful not to break off the tabs, and you can crawl inside to pull the emergency trunk release. If you're too big to crawl through the opening, then get a hanger or something to reach and pull the release.

I know, what if bad guys read this thread?? I would think the bad guys already know this info - they're bad guys. It's good guys like us that don't think of ways to "break into" a trunk.

After this minor ordeal, I have since attached a rope from the ski bag opening to the trunk release, so I won't have to "break" through again. I would just reach into the ski bag and pull.
    E93...kick you square in the nutz!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Add a smokers package to your vehicle!
    That will give you the ability to access your trunk,
    without giving the thieves access!

My Cars
    '11 335is Vert
    I researched what a smokers package entails, but it seems to be just a lighter/12v plug in the center console. How does that help when the negative battery cable is disconnected??

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    If you plugin one of those 12v battery packs, you can energize the system to be able to open the trunk.

My Cars
    '11 335is Vert
    I doubt this will work, since the negative battery cable is disconnected from the battery. Will test this idea with the 12v plug under the passenger-side front console.