Thread: What are all these wires going to?

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318i

What are all these wires going to?

The first 4 photos are wire below the steering wheel going to inside the glovebox, I believe it is for some kind of aftermarket unlocking system, how can I return this to stock. And the last photos are on the left and right front sides of the engine bay near the headlights. On the left there are two connectors and a bundle of unknown wire, on the right there is a connector with two female connectors, and then another wire with no connector on the end, please help.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Proper mess. Good luck with that.

Last pic is probably the connector for the thermal switch for heated nozzles, located in right brake duct. But that connector is common.

The pic above. That looks like what normally goes into the hood switch on right inside fender, but I recall US cars not using that one.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Pictures 1-4: Are for what's left of an aftermarket security/alarm system. As for getting it back to stock, trace the wires, remove, and tape up. The relay that's dangling from the dash most likely is going to the starter wire at the ignition column. If the starter wire is cut in half and going to the relay (and it probably is because it's most likely a starter-kill relay), you'll have to re-splice the starter wire back to itself so it's a single line again.

If you're not comfortable doing this, bring it to a stereo/alarm shop and they should be able to do it for you in less than 30-45 min.

Also, the big blue wire labeled "Monster Cable" in the first picture is part of an aftermarket audio system. Most like likely RCA, or line-level audio wires running the trunk where the amp is/was.

Picture 5: We'll need to see the colors a little better to know what it is. However, if it's going to the same bundle that the headlights are coming from it's most likely the cut wires are for the Ambient Air Temp sensor which resides in the Left side (driver for you) brake duct. The wires with female terminations (also, if going to the same bundle) appear to be what goes INSIDE of the fog light connector.

Picture 6: Hood pin switch, which looks like yours is missing.

Picture 7: Similar to picture 5, the cut wire colors match that of what the ETM calls out as Fog Lights. The connector (as MParallel mentioned) is for the heated windshield washer nozzles, which resides in the Right side (Passenger for you) brake duct.

By the way, your driver side low beam bulb is about to fall out.

Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Proper mess. Good luck with that.

Last pic is probably the connector for the thermal switch for heated nozzles, located in right brake duct. But that connector is common.

The pic above. That looks like what normally goes into the hood switch on right inside fender, but I recall US cars not using that one.
    Mine's connected and working with the dealer-installed Alpine alarm
    Last edited by LockDots; 10-19-2017 at 06:58 AM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Good, then it could be the connector for said switch.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/