Thread: Blower Motor Orientation and Reinstall

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i

Blower Motor Orientation and Reinstall

Hello all. I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered on the forums. I used the search function and was unable to find the images I am looking for.

I have recently purchased a '83 320i that had a faulty blower motor. The previous owner had removed the faulty blower motor and gave it to me in a box along with other miscellaneous hardware he had kept. I have removed the fans from the old faulty unit, marked the correct installation depths on the new fan (from the corrosion marks), checked the new motor's operation in the car and am ready to reinstall.

My question for everyone is "Does anyone have a picture of the blower motor installed in the housing that shows the orientation of the blower motor?" I am specifically looking for which side the armature and electrical connections are located on (drivers or passengers side) and what is the correct orientation of the fan blades? The fans were easily removed and had corroded impeller shafts so I am going to assume that the previous owner had removed them before and I do not want to trust that he had placed them back on the correct sides.

Thanks

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by tingting View Post
    Hello all. I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered on the forums. I used the search function and was unable to find the images I am looking for.

I have recently purchased a '83 320i that had a faulty blower motor. The previous owner had removed the faulty blower motor and gave it to me in a box along with other miscellaneous hardware he had kept. I have removed the fans from the old faulty unit, marked the correct installation depths on the new fan (from the corrosion marks), checked the new motor's operation in the car and am ready to reinstall.

My question for everyone is "Does anyone have a picture of the blower motor installed in the housing that shows the orientation of the blower motor?" I am specifically looking for which side the armature and electrical connections are located on (drivers or passengers side) and what is the correct orientation of the fan blades? The fans were easily removed and had corroded impeller shafts so I am going to assume that the previous owner had removed them before and I do not want to trust that he had placed them back on the correct sides.

Thanks
    I have a hard time with the search sometimes too. google helps.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=e21+...mmerforums.com

I found this (one of several) from the google results, hopefully it helps.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-motor-rebuild

Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by epmedia; 10-19-2017 at 05:14 PM.
    Tbd

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by epmedia View Post
    I have a hard time with the search sometimes too. google helps.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=e21+...mmerforums.com

I found this (one of several) from the google results, hopefully it helps.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-motor-rebuild

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you very much for the links! I appreciate it! And thank you for the welcome to the forum. I'm looking forward to the e21 adventures.

My Cars
    1983 320I, 1986 325E
    Join the E21 Legion facebook page. It has helpful information too.

My Cars
    '83 323i, '82 320i, '06 mazda5
    maybe you've already found what you need but when i was re-installing my blower after cleaning it up, i remember panicking for a second because i wasn't sure which way it went back in. then i realized that i'd taken a photo of it before removal. anyway if you still need to know, hope this helps

1034.jpg