Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yoshi's E46 330i build

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I had to cut into my E30 shock tower to fit them. Basically Every FD car is like that too. I suppose you could mega space it down yourself to not need that. Check out mike essa's old wisefab build. There's a hole cut out in the shock tower too.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    I had to cut into my E30 shock tower to fit them. Basically Every FD car is like that too. I suppose you could mega space it down yourself to not need that. Check out mike essa's old wisefab build. There's a hole cut out in the shock tower too.

Ohhh like this? IMG_2858-L.jpg I was picturing something totally different. I was under the impression that the SLR ones were so thick that the adjuster would fit underneath, therefore not needing the adjuster hole in the strut tower

- - - Updated - - -

like this
    dGsuSPIl.jpg

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    It really depends on the damper you use. An inverted monotube typically has the adjuster on the bottom of the damper so the top bolt is not nearly as tall and can fit without modification and that's what the car in the second photo appears to be using. Most popular coilovers for bmw's aren't inverted struts unfortunately.
    Last edited by Piner; 02-22-2018 at 05:07 PM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    With my shocks, 100% gonna have to cut into the shock tower. I wish I could machine a spacer but it's whatever. I got time to ponder all that stuff.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    super long shot if anyone would know this here. I'm trying to pass local safety inspection with this new car and the airbag light won't go off. The error is:

51/0A - Fault lamp, short circuit to negative or open circuit

WTF does that even mean?

My Cars
    none
    bad ground? maybe check continuity at the plugs under the seats, wheel, doors? Just a guess

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    On what though? The light is on so I feel like that's fine.

My Cars
    none
    For each air bag is my guess. I think its saying Fault lamp as in the light is on, and then listing what it is on for. I'm not sure if the airbags ground from the plug or if they ground from where they mount to the chassis. Can you program them off through the computer like an o2 sensor or SAP pump?

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I already did. All of those things are coded out. Occupancy sensor, seat belt buckle, even the stupid retraction speed sensor (lol).

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Still waiting on SLR parts... Wound up picking up a second 330 manual sedan for a great price with an LSD and the reinforcements already in it. Might just ride this bish instead of the other car lol.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    Purple powdercoat looks really good but its not fun when the powdercoat shop keeps dicking around with us about it. Nearly everykit ordered this and last month has been full purple. Supply issues are so frustrating to deal with. Made in the USA need to be a synonym for "Made the hard way"

Sorry not trying to make excuses, your kit should be going out this week if Tollver get's their act together.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I know. It's passed the point where this car will be ready for the first drift event of the season. Bummed out. I can at least get the new car together and maybe give it a thrash or two. Stock everything ftw.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    the purple is worth it, it looks SO F****** GOOD

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Just to get the car on the road, I tried to just bolt back on the E46 control arms. Only to realize E46 tie rods don't bolt into E36 spindles. *sigh* the car has been basically ready to street test for 3 weeks now. I even have tags for it. Sean, get your powder coat guy in gear. It's been 1.5 months!

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    Yeah those Buttheads told us Monday last week, then they told us Friday, then Monday then yesterday then I could pick them up this morning... So I called them this morning and they told me they won't be done till later today, Plus their receptionist was giving me an attitude about it yesterday. We have 8 kits being held up by powdercoat and she wants to cop an attitude with me. Im headed down there today and I swear they better be done.

I have a bunch of kits fully pre-built and ready to ship just need the arms
    Last edited by Piner; 03-21-2018 at 11:48 AM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Sean mentioned the powder coaters dicking him around. Time to buy some ovens off of craigslist? lol. I got a tracking number so that makes my pants feel tighter. I just want to get this car on the road! Plus it's some odd legal thing where I have tags but have to get it emissions inspected but you have to drive it before you can get emissions... but it has no safety inspection... etc etc. ugh. Laws.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    Your Kit is in the mail fool. It'll probably show up Monday. Sorry about the wait.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    Did your kit get there alright?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    It got here ok. Someone graffitied the box with super trooper quotes lol. Sorry been busy with work. Haven't had time for anything other than wiping my ass and maybe a shower.

My Cars
    98 328is
    Shenanigans!?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    My comments when ordering was asking them not to spit in it

Anywho, got the SLR kit on. Sway links don't look like they are going to work so I took off the sway bar. Which is fine anyway since I smash that part of the frame on full lock.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg_bIzmA...=protomordrift

20180331_100609.jpg20180331_102556.jpg
    The super kit doesn't look too out of the ordinary so i'm pretty happy.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Attachment 623119

Well the new motor runs. Car only shows a SAP code (cuz it's not there lol) but I'm gonna code that out here soon. Fixed the mushrooming shock towers. But that makes me nervous to cut into them if I need to dial back the negative camber more than the FA 510 plates can give me. Gonna see about parasiting in the E36 front ABS sensors. Maybe retrofitting the E46 front wheel speed sensor to keep the DME happy (iunno, why not?).

Just waiting on the SLR kit and some nick nacks and I can finally drive this thing. Stoked!
    Is there a reason the camber is angled back to the firewall AND inwards to the engine? I assumed it only moves inward to the engine?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    With the SLR kit's longer control arms, it adds positive camber and increases caster. So the simple solution is to push the camber plate out. So I won't be pushing towards the firewall, I'll be pushing out towards the front of the car.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    Not gonna lie, I am very confused as to what you mean.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Yea I have no idea what I wrote either. I'm pushing the camber plates out, not in.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast