Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yoshi's E46 330i build

My Cars
    none
    The sliding caliper info is just speculation from other members. I dont want to perpetuate internet hear say, but figured I throw some info out there on the OEM brembo option. I think that's going to be my route. I'm interested to see how yours works.

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I dunno. For weight and simplicity, I might just go with some dynapro wilwoods. Sizing is a PITA since brake calcs aren't my thing. Just looking around has them at about $200 per caliper. Which is damn pricey. But I'd rather spend the money now and do it once than spend more money and do it twice.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    none
    here is my thought process, The STI Brembo are (radial?) mounted just like stock e36, so I'm going to try and make a bracket that will bolt to the stock caliper mount and have an arm (like a big half circle) that has two holes for the new caliper so I don't have to weld or anything. Of course this is all speculation until i can get it all in my hands and see how they play together.

You planning on welding ears to the trailing arm?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I'm just gonna fab and weld some ears to the trailing arm. Anything else either costs too much or requires the removal of the factory hand brake. I am 100% not willing to remove that.

I got a 240v outlet put in my garage. I just need a spare grand to buy the welder so I can save $200 on doing the work myself. lol

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    @ E30 394

If you get STI Brembos, please drill out the bolt holes and time-cert them first thing. They will screw you over later, trust me.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Stupid things PO did:
    Zip tied PS lines to the sway bar
    Zip tied radiator/AC rad/ps "cooler" to core support
    Stripped the bumper to bumper shock bolts
    Hand tighten bumper nuts for bumper shocks to frame rail
    House wiring caps/wiring for AC unit
    Slammed the car so low that there's no paint for 1.5 feet of the front frame rail under the car

My Cars
    none
    sounds like its ready to go to me

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima

Surprisingly quick engine pull. Turns out the only thing I want to salvage on the original motor is the kind of new thermostat. Super quick drug bin delete while I have the motor out. I need to replace brake lines so I'll likely order those and get those in before I put the motor back in. Now I get to work on getting one good motor out of my pile of 3.

PS: Yes I got a hair cut.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    I removed those bins from our e46m3 and the best way to do it was a hammer and chisel, was much cleaner and easier than grinder/sawzall plus no sparks.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    What do you do about the power terminal and jazz? I feel like that whole section gives rigidity so I didn't want to cut the whole bit out. Plus the AC charge port is there. I don't care about it being too clean. I just want the utility.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    deleted them on both sides of mine, I hate those damn things. But I obviously didn't keep any of that fancy stuff there

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Yeah we kept nothing on either sides, just shaved off all that stuff off and moved on.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima

So.. anyone want to buy some oil pump failured M54B30s?

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post

So.. anyone want to buy some oil pump failured M54B30s?
    part of me wants some of the rotating assembly.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I'm actually pretty hopeful that the cranks/cams are still good.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima

Assembly video. Nothing major. Welded the oil pump nut and put back on the stock clutch and reset the stupid stupid adjustment peenor.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Any idea on how you plan to do the dual caliper setup? I'd love to find a bolt on method, but I guess if you're doing the M3 rear, then your setup wouldnt be the same as mine anyway.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    My current plan is to just get some wilwood calipers, some suuuper thick metal, and just pay someone (better at welding than me) to weld them on. It's more expensive but it just solves all of my problems.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I've basically given up video since it takes so long and youtube fame is overrated anyway *looks at justin*.

Motor is in. Reinforcements are done. Subframe is back in. Finishing the front end and waiting on parts to put in the E36 front spindles. SLR super kit ordered. I just have the front end to finish putting back together and I can start up the motor.

Stupid PO yellow tinted the inside chrome pots for the xenons. I tried to brake clean it off but wound up taking the chrome off behind it too. $78 per side for the innards of the headlights -_- I don't think chrome spray paint will hold to the heat. I'm so annoyed. Wonder if I can find headlights locally. Anyone have ideas?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    20180219_133617.jpg20180219_133930.jpg

Well the new motor runs. Car only shows a SAP code (cuz it's not there lol) but I'm gonna code that out here soon. Fixed the mushrooming shock towers. But that makes me nervous to cut into them if I need to dial back the negative camber more than the FA 510 plates can give me. Gonna see about parasiting in the E36 front ABS sensors. Maybe retrofitting the E46 front wheel speed sensor to keep the DME happy (iunno, why not?).

Just waiting on the SLR kit and some nick nacks and I can finally drive this thing. Stoked!

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Fixed the mushrooming shock towers. But that makes me nervous to cut into them if I need to dial back the negative camber more than the FA 510 plates can give me.
    That was the thing about my 500's, the negative adjustment would hit the tower and nicked a little dimple on both sides, not bad, but then I would have to drop the coil to adjust camber. Wasn't a big issue, but I never really ran into that before (not that I had much experience with coilovers to begin with lol)

But we're in the same boat, I just wanna get this car ready for the road, been too long not driving it and i didn't notice how much I would miss it. Yours looks like it's coming together nice!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Ideally, I want like 1.5 neg camber. Really depends on what the super kit comes out to be you know?

And thanks. Car is def near completion. I can't wait to get it going. There's so many loose ends to tie up. It needs to be road legal so there's sensors and shizzle. Blah.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    notch the strut towers? Noooo! Don't you have a pair of the SLR camber adjusters laying around?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    You mean caster adjusters?

I have the SLR top hats that push the strut to the max position on the FD style bolt circle. But for those, you WILL need to cut into the strut tower. With the super arms, there shouldn't be as much neg camber as the ultra arms, but I'll still likely have too much neg camber.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    these?

https://slrspeed.myshopify.com/colle...camber-adapter

I was under the impression they didn't require any modification, just replaced your fortune camber plates with these that have much more positive adjustment

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast