Thread: TCU - Telecommunications module, no sound from speaker. Tried 2nd module

My Cars
    08 X3

TCU - Telecommunications module, no sound from speaker. Tried 2nd module

Hey all,

So to sum it up;

So last year I bought a TCU of a guy from another forum, with a microphone and BT antenna. Install is basically plug and plug as all the wiring is there. My steering wheel also has the little man speaker button along with the phonebook button. Very similar to my old E46.

A month or so into it - works good, then I noticed that when I try to activate the phone function it activates, PHONE shows up not he OEM radio but no sound emits from speakers, so at times it would work and at other times it wouldnt. Typically when you press the speak button you hear a beep in the speakers indicating that PHONE is activated and you can say a command. Well I don't hear the command prompt at all. I can dial a number out, the person on the other end can hear me, but I can't hear them through the car speakers.

Anyways after fiddling for a couple of months with this module, I figured it was a dud and warmer weather seemed to make it work even less than cold I ruled it out as the TCU I bought was garbage.

Fast forward to last month. Since I figured the last module was toast, I ordered another one. Installed it again, worked but then intermittent functionality again just like the old module. The speakers int he vehicle work fine, never have a issue with regular audio (FM, cd, aux etc).

So at this point in time I am starting to believe something funky is going with the wiring for this TCU/BT activation in the cars wiring. Anyone out there have knowledge of this device or the wiring? There is like a 20pin connector that hooks up to this module and I'm wondering if some wire somehow is dislodged or what it may be, however all looks good to the naked eye.

I keep finding information about people talking about a 'eject' button etc but I do not have or need that. My phone pairs without issues to the car and phonebook is transferred over, the other person hears me however I do not get any voice prompts or their feedback on my speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any idea where to even start with this? I never took the radio out and not sure is it worth it to inspect in the rear of the radio for anything?

Quote Originally Posted by freebo86 View Post
    Hey all,

So to sum it up;

So last year I bought a TCU of a guy from another forum, with a microphone and BT antenna. Install is basically plug and plug as all the wiring is there. My steering wheel also has the little man speaker button along with the phonebook button. Very similar to my old E46.

A month or so into it - works good, then I noticed that when I try to activate the phone function it activates, PHONE shows up not he OEM radio but no sound emits from speakers, so at times it would work and at other times it wouldnt. Typically when you press the speak button you hear a beep in the speakers indicating that PHONE is activated and you can say a command. Well I don't hear the command prompt at all. I can dial a number out, the person on the other end can hear me, but I can't hear them through the car speakers.

Anyways after fiddling for a couple of months with this module, I figured it was a dud and warmer weather seemed to make it work even less than cold I ruled it out as the TCU I bought was garbage.

Fast forward to last month. Since I figured the last module was toast, I ordered another one. Installed it again, worked but then intermittent functionality again just like the old module. The speakers int he vehicle work fine, never have a issue with regular audio (FM, cd, aux etc).

So at this point in time I am starting to believe something funky is going with the wiring for this TCU/BT activation in the cars wiring. Anyone out there have knowledge of this device or the wiring? There is like a 20pin connector that hooks up to this module and I'm wondering if some wire somehow is dislodged or what it may be, however all looks good to the naked eye.

I keep finding information about people talking about a 'eject' button etc but I do not have or need that. My phone pairs without issues to the car and phonebook is transferred over, the other person hears me however I do not get any voice prompts or their feedback on my speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any idea where to even start with this? I never took the radio out and not sure is it worth it to inspect in the rear of the radio for anything?
    Have you compared it using a completely different phone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    08 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by dano1200r View Post
    Have you compared it using a completely different phone?

No i have not as the only other phone in the household is another iPhone 6 and I'm using an iPhone 6s. I guess I could always try the iPhone 6 and see if its any different..

Quote Originally Posted by freebo86 View Post
    No i have not as the only other phone in the household is another iPhone 6 and I'm using an iPhone 6s. I guess I could always try the iPhone 6 and see if its any different..
    Just to rule it out, use an android, turn off every thing on the phone except blue tooth and pair it. Check if you have the same issues. I have run into similar problems depending on the phones configuration and apps that turn on and off various privileges. Good luck.

Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    08 X3
    This does not make a difference. Does anyone have any suggestions or experienced this issue? I believe its something to do with the K-line that is supposed to activate the speakers and flip over to the bluetooth portion of the audio however it might not be doing it.