Hey all,

So long story short, I know its not a E46 but a E83. But the E83 (2008 X3) is basically a mutant from a E46 chassis. So my issues is the TCU module Telecommunications module that sits in the back of the trunk and gives OEM bluetooth phone capability (phone calls only) to the car. The E83 comes prewired for phone capability but no microphone, BT antenna or TCU module.

So to sum it up;

So last year I bought a TCU of a guy from another forum, with a microphone and BT antenna. Install is basically plug and plug as all the wiring is there. My steering wheel also has the little man speaker button along with the phonebook button. Very similar to my old E46.

A month or so into it - works good, then I noticed that when I try to activate the phone function it activates, PHONE shows up not he OEM radio but no sound emits from speakers, so at times it would work and at other times it wouldnt. Typically when you press the speak button you hear a beep in the speakers indicating that PHONE is activated and you can say a command. Well I don't hear the command prompt at all. I can dial a number out, the person on the other end can hear me, but I can't hear them through the car speakers.

Anyways after fiddling for a couple of months with this module, I figured it was a dud and warmer weather seemed to make it work even less than cold I ruled it out as the TCU I bought was garbage.

Fast forward to last month. Since I figured the last module was toast, I ordered another one. Installed it again, worked but then intermittent functionality again just like the old module. The speakers int he vehicle work fine, never have a issue with regular audio (FM, cd, aux etc).

So at this point in time I am starting to believe something funky is going with the wiring for this TCU/BT activation in the cars wiring. Anyone out there have knowledge of this device or the wiring? There is like a 20pin connector that hooks up to this module and I'm wondering if some wire somehow is dislodged or what it may be, however all looks good to the naked eye.

I keep finding information about people talking about a 'eject' button etc but I do not have or need that. My phone pairs without issues to the car and phonebook is transferred over, the other person hears me however I do not get any voice prompts or their feedback on my speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any idea where to even start with this? I never took the radio out and not sure is it worth it to inspect in the rear of the radio for anything?

admin: I know this isn't a E46 but I am hoping to get more exposure to this than if I were to post in the X3 forum