Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back in an E34 M5.. This time an "under a tree" find.. what to do... #projecte34m5?

My Cars
    e24, e31, e32, e39, e60

Back in an E34 M5.. This time an "under a tree" find.. what to do... #projecte34m5?

I am welcoming back myself to the e34 world... Once upon a time I had a US 91 e34 M5 for about 4 years, then I sold it and got 2 e39 M5's and an e60 M5 and eventually sold the e39's and kept the e60... I also have an e32 750iL and a e31 850Ci, so I am familiar with "old" BMW's to some extent...

Through a community contacts referral, I found myself at a body shop/ yard, handing money over and towing/dragging a 92 Canadian Spec e34 M5 home. Now that I have it home, I am faced with some tough decisions, would appreciate some thoughts/feedback.

Some brief history on it: ONE OWNER- 92-2017. Every single receipt since 1992-2011/12 when it was "parked" outside. No accidents. Completely original. Rare Mtech 2 Steering Wheel (non airbag, especially for the Canadian Market) and Rare M Sport Rear 'bucket' Seats with the storage box in the center.

Actual Production Data: "8 - 1991-1993 BMW M5 Sedan (HD93) - NA painted in Sterling Silver Metallic (244) with Black Nappa Leather (0226/M4SW) interior were built for the Canadian market. 39 were built for the US. The most rare option in this car is the option S786A - M Technic rear seat console. It was installed on 31 out of 1,678 cars. " So a pretty rare car, to say the least!

Overall condition, as it sits:
    Interior is a solid 8.5/10, perhaps a 9 with a good clean.
    Exterior is a 4/5-10, all is there, however there are plenty of rust bubbles starting all over the car in all usual spots. It will require a FULL exterior rust repair/paint job, perhaps even some parts will need to be sourced and replaced with rust free examples. biggest issue for me is the colour- I HATE SILVER the car will need to be repainted in a sterling grey, sparkling metallic, or some other "similar" to silver colour, so that I do not need to do door jams, etc. If I DO decide to go (the even more expensive route of a full colour change) the car will be either BMW Red or Blue. (would any of these really de-value it? Thoughts? Obviously quality of work plays a role, but the Vin will always say Silver).
    Mechanical- Runs- Drives- Needs a full going through- Leaks from SLS lines, Gas leaks, tires, suspension, etc, etc, etc.

Here is why this is a tough decision...
    DO I SAVE IT? Which will take TIME and LOADS of Money- Time is the biggest issue which will ultimately make it an expensive project as I will not have time to do *much*, if *any* of the work. That will cause the labour rates to go up!
    PART IT and make out like a bandit, loads of desirable stuff on it, but it means it will be off the road and gone... I really don't want to see that. Only ~1300 of these made it to NA!!!
    Re- Sell it: Clean it up, and sell to someone who will be able to do the work themselves, or have much more money and do a ground up restoration?

Reselling and Parting are the most beneficial for me, as I will then have a profit that I can put towards my other projects.

Couple things to note: I have several other BMW and non BMW projects that constantly require $, time and energy. Time is the biggest problem, of course followed by $. Those two correlate. I will not/cannot do the mechanical myself, I will be able to do things like stripping it for the body shop, sourcing my own parts, etc...

I am under *no* time constraint. I can sit on it for another 4 years before actually starting on it, however that is the last thing I'd want to do. I'd like to see it on the road, in its former glory by ~2020.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? What advise do you have for me? **The pictures make it look A LOT better than in real life***

http://s350.photobucket.com/user/ent...to4/slideshow/
    Last edited by BMWM5LOVER; 10-19-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    ['07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
    Toys
    '93 BMW 850i J Spec- (DiamondSchwartz)-CSI Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
    94 BMW 850 CSi - OE
    91 BMW 850Ci Manual
    '88 BMW 635CSi ACS's++
    '81 MB 500 SEC Koenig (pearl white)
    00 BMW 750iL J Spec- Alpina Mods
    06 MB S65 AMG
    09 911 4S
    11 BMW M3 DCT Competition
    12 BMW 328i M Sport Convertible
    +++

My Cars
    94 M5T
    so you're saying there were 8 sterling silver M5's made for the canadian market, and you're thinking of painting it a different color? I'd think that would effect value, yes.

I think it depends on how much rust there really is. Low mile super nice 3.6's are starting to command some money. 3.8's and tourings of course even more. You don't really see many 'restored' north american spec cars come up for sale, so hard to pin value on it, even with a somewhat rare configuration. My thought is if you can see a lot of rust, there's probably a lot more that you can't see, so from an investment standpoint, it may not be worth it.

I recently 'rescued' a rough US spec 91, no rust (california car) but plenty of cosmetic issues, but it was dirt cheap, and i figure i'd make it presentable and use it as a driver.
    Mike
    93 M5 3.8 Sterling Silver/Black (euro)
    94 M5 Touring Madeiraschwarz/Black
    80 745i (project)
    83 735i / 5 speed (euro)
    86 745i

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Not one note on the mileage? That's a huge factor.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    e24, e31, e32, e39, e60
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    Not one note on the mileage? That's a huge factor.
    Jeez, where is my brain!?

The mileage is 216K KM's or 135K miles- Fully documented.
    Toys
    '93 BMW 850i J Spec- (DiamondSchwartz)-CSI Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
    94 BMW 850 CSi - OE
    91 BMW 850Ci Manual
    '88 BMW 635CSi ACS's++
    06 MB S65 AMG
    09 911 4S
    +++

My Cars
    e24, e31, e32, e39, e60
    Quote Originally Posted by mottati View Post
    so you're saying there were 8 sterling silver M5's made for the canadian market, and you're thinking of painting it a different color? I'd think that would effect value, yes.

I think it depends on how much rust there really is. Low mile super nice 3.6's are starting to command some money. 3.8's and tourings of course even more. You don't really see many 'restored' north american spec cars come up for sale, so hard to pin value on it, even with a somewhat rare configuration. My thought is if you can see a lot of rust, there's probably a lot more that you can't see, so from an investment standpoint, it may not be worth it.

I recently 'rescued' a rough US spec 91, no rust (california car) but plenty of cosmetic issues, but it was dirt cheap, and i figure i'd make it presentable and use it as a driver.
    Thank you for the 2 cents.
    I wouldn't call it Low mileage at 216K KM's or 135K miles, but I guess it is for being 25 years old. That's 9K km's a year..
    Yes, there were 8 Canadian ones, 47 in total if you count US ones. So out of 1600ish in NA, that is pretty low production numbers. I just reaaaalllllyyyy hate silver, almost as much as purple cars

Rust seems to be mostly aesthetic (i.e. no holes or such, but that is to be verified). Jack points look solid.

My thoughts on Value are( I will use USD for sake of simplicity):
    If this car was returned to good derivable and body work condition, I could see it selling for approx 15-17KUSD on BAT or something similar. Original, one owner cars with full documentation are tough to source. I would need to invest my initial purchase plus an unknown $$$ which if I had to ball park would be about 8-10K.
    If I part it out, I could most likely net approx 8-10KUSD, however I don't think it will be an overnight thing, I really don't feel like parting in my driveway, nor do I have the ability to rip the engine etc out. I mean these engines are pulling 4K, diff 1.5K, rims 1.3K, Interior 1.4K, +++ It will add up quickly. But labour will need to be paid for on my end.
    If I was to clean it up, make it presentable, "spit and polish it" so to speak, I can probably get approx 5-7KUSD I would imagine.

Am I out to lunch? Been a while since I've actually hunted an e34 M5. I sold my well sorted 91 back to the US with approx 300K miles for about 8K USD at least 10 years ago. Now basket cases locally are asking around 7-8K USD.

Pristine/unique/euro models are obviously desirable and pulling even more, in fact hard to find anything less than high teens these days...
    Toys
    94 BMW 850 CSi - OE
    91 BMW 850Ci Manual
    '88 BMW 635CSi ACS's++
    06 MB S65 AMG
    09 911 4S
    +++

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Ok, thanks for the mileage #. I think you have two options, and it depends on what you need or want from the car.

(The following involves a generous assumption that important and costly bits like the motor and SLS are sorted)

1) Perform a modicum of driver-oriented, tune-up maintenance. Curtail the rust as much as possible, garage it, etc. With fresh fluids, a tune-up, new rubber, enjoy a probably great-driving E34 M for a few years as values go up--you won't possibly put enough mileage on it to hurt long term values. You could end up binning it of course, but that's life

2) Whenever you're ready financially, drop the car off at qualified body shop for the FACTORY PAINT COLOR restoration. Refinish the wheels, then do the option 1) maintenance refresh, and throw it up on BaT. Again, time is your friend; this option has the potential (not certainty) for more money long-term, but you also miss out on real driving time and ownership enjoyment

In no scenario does a color change make sense, especially if you aren't going to do the sills and engine bay. That is a seriously good way to devalue an original car, with no real body damage.

I'm no longer expressly against part-outs, since most of the time those high-value M5 parts go on to keep other M5s on the road. But unless that S38 has serious problems (which would nullify your profit if you also do bodywork), it doesn't seem like much of a part-out candidate to me, from either a profitability or rationality perspective.

Side note: was your 300k S38 original?!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    1988 BMW 530i
    If you were to part it out and I actually had money to spend on parts, I'd be your best customer. You're even close! Anyway..

If you "save it" and presumably keep it, I guess you need to ask yourself if an E34 M5 in your lineup is what you want. You had one before, sold it, 2x E39 M5's, sold them. In the end, after all the time and money, if you keep this car it's basically just another E34 M5 (not considering the rarity which is only a potential benefit to the resale value, which may be negated by the re-spray / extensive body work).

Based on your constraints (time, mostly), cleaning it up and flipping it sounds like your best option. Might not make as much money on it compared to full restoration or part out, but you're also not investing much time either.

My Cars
    e24, e31, e32, e39, e60
    Ok, thanks for the mileage #. I think you have two options, and it depends on what you need or want from the car.

(The following involves a generous assumption that important and costly bits like the motor and SLS are sorted)

1) Perform a modicum of driver-oriented, tune-up maintenance. Curtail the rust as much as possible, garage it, etc. With fresh fluids, a tune-up, new rubber, enjoy a probably great-driving E34 M for a few years as values go up--you won't possibly put enough mileage on it to hurt long term values. You could end up binning it of course, but that's life

2) Whenever you're ready financially, drop the car off at qualified body shop for the FACTORY PAINT COLOR restoration. Refinish the wheels, then do the option 1) maintenance refresh, and throw it up on BaT. Again, time is your friend; this option has the potential (not certainty) for more money long-term, but you also miss out on real driving time and ownership enjoyment

In no scenario does a color change make sense, especially if you aren't going to do the sills and engine bay. That is a seriously good way to devalue an original car, with no real body damage.

I'm no longer expressly against part-outs, since most of the time those high-value M5 parts go on to keep other M5s on the road. But unless that S38 has serious problems (which would nullify your profit if you also do bodywork), it doesn't seem like much of a part-out candidate to me, from either a profitability or rationality perspective.

Side note: was your 300k S38 original?!

Thank you for the feedback. I think you are right on many points. However, I will be removing the SLS system and replacing it with a nice set of strut/springs. That is a system/headache I do not want OR need in my life. I think anyone, even those looking for "original" examples will not mind the SLS delete in favour of a proper replacement ( I am not talking dumped, laying frame here).

My goal/plan would be to assess it on a hoist first. Is it worth the investment. If , the answer is yes, then it would be imperative to take care of the mechanical first, tune it up, refresh everything, SSK, tires, brakes, suspension, etc. Make sure no leaks are present. it has been asleep outside for a long time. I'd want it driving 100%. Reliably.
    Then, after some enjoyment, I'd source any body panels that should be replaced, I'd rip it all apart externally (myself) and ship it to a body shop for a respray and body work. The killer for me, would be paying to have it come back silver again. But on all accounts, you are right, changing the colour, short of doing a complete gut and paint, will be silly. I'll just have to live with it...I guess, knowing that I have actually "invested" money I can see back (hopefully).

To answer your Q, yes, my S38 was completely original, beaten to shit by myself (including track!) and previous owner for at least 10 years. He ran it with the wrong oil too (5w30). I ran the 15W50. Rock solid car/engine.
    Toys
    94 BMW 850 CSi - OE
    91 BMW 850Ci Manual
    '88 BMW 635CSi ACS's++
    06 MB S65 AMG
    09 911 4S
    +++

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWM5LOVER View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. I think you are right on many points. However, I will be removing the SLS system and replacing it with a nice set of strut/springs. That is a system/headache I do not want OR need in my life. I think anyone, even those looking for "original" examples will not mind the SLS delete in favour of a proper replacement ( I am not talking dumped, laying frame here).

My goal/plan would be to assess it on a hoist first. Is it worth the investment. If , the answer is yes, then it would be imperative to take care of the mechanical first, tune it up, refresh everything, SSK, tires, brakes, suspension, etc. Make sure no leaks are present. it has been asleep outside for a long time. I'd want it driving 100%. Reliably.
    Then, after some enjoyment, I'd source any body panels that should be replaced, I'd rip it all apart externally (myself) and ship it to a body shop for a respray and body work. The killer for me, would be paying to have it come back silver again. But on all accounts, you are right, changing the colour, short of doing a complete gut and paint, will be silly. I'll just have to live with it...I guess, knowing that I have actually "invested" money I can see back (hopefully).

To answer your Q, yes, my S38 was completely original, beaten to shit by myself (including track!) and previous owner for at least 10 years. He ran it with the wrong oil too (5w30). I ran the 15W50. Rock solid car/engine.
    I agree with your take on the SLS--I only noted it as a potential money pit, in the case that you wanted to retain that level of originality. I love it on a Touring like mine, but a proper suspension swap offers little compromise on an M5 sedan. I have a 535 PS pump on mine with a proper delete.

One note if you went the Salmon Silver, eventual-resale route: keep as many original body panels as possible, even if it costs a bit more to remove the rust. Usually only doors are too far gone (in the bottom trim channel) to save. But to maximize profit you really want matching VIN tags on an M5.

I suppose another third option is to go forward with your mechanical refresh, and then decide if you want to resell (keep it silver) or just keep it keep it, at which point you should really paint it whatever the heck you want! I have no objective issue with re-coloring an M5, I only mentioned the drawbacks in the context of trying to draw out the highest dollar bid.

And that's awesome about your original '91. Mine's at 247k but it needed a head gasket and a few other things in the head at 220k.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    1991 750iL+ 2008 535xit6
    Cool to see you here too (TSI on Maxbimmer). I think the common thread here is that you can't really avoid silver without destroying any value the car may have. I'd agree M5s, and all E34s in general, are increasing in value. I don't know whether you'd see a profit were you to do a full repair of all the rust (I think I know which car this is), but you'd certainly enjoy driving it.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    I think you should donate it to me (BigD from max) so I can turbocharge it and put in a 7 speed DCT.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Can't see the photos but am assuming it's a rough body. As is it's going to worth more in pieces unless you find a starry eyed dreamer.
    Restoration will likely leave you upside down in a big way especially if you mess with the car's originality with a color change and SLS delete, even more so if the jambs aren't done. For it to be desirable to a collector originality will be important. I think you know that given the cars that have passed through your hands.
    Perhaps get it running and find a dreamer to pass it on to, at least a body man who won't be paying another's wages.
    The running gear into a clean touring would make a desirable and saleable combination.
    My $.02

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    e34 m5, touring; e46 (x2
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWM5LOVER View Post
    Actual Production Data: "8 - 1991-1993 BMW M5 Sedan (HD93) - NA painted in Sterling Silver Metallic (244) with Black Nappa Leather (0226/M4SW) interior were built for the Canadian market. 39 were built for the US. The most rare option in this car is the option S786A - M Technic rear seat console. It was installed on 31 out of 1,678 cars. " So a pretty rare car, to say the least!
    Quick question from a fellow e34 m5 (BK05058) owner... What is an MTech rear seat console that is referred to above and how does it differ from the backseat breadbasket in the pre-9/90 m5s? I am asking this question without having the benefit of seeing your pictures (perhaps repost them as attachments). Also, the option code cited above (s786A) appears to apply to 17" wheels, although I may be mistaken on this point. Please indicate the last seven digits of the VIN so that we may see where your call falls on the production run.

My Cars
    e24, e31, e32, e39, e60
    Quote Originally Posted by q20v View Post
    If you were to part it out and I actually had money to spend on parts, I'd be your best customer. You're even close! Anyway..

If you "save it" and presumably keep it, I guess you need to ask yourself if an E34 M5 in your lineup is what you want. You had one before, sold it, 2x E39 M5's, sold them. In the end, after all the time and money, if you keep this car it's basically just another E34 M5 (not considering the rarity which is only a potential benefit to the resale value, which may be negated by the re-spray / extensive body work).

Based on your constraints (time, mostly), cleaning it up and flipping it sounds like your best option. Might not make as much money on it compared to full restoration or part out, but you're also not investing much time either.
    That really is the "sensible" route, I'd say, however that is not a characteristic that I have
    Toys
    94 BMW 850 CSi - OE
    91 BMW 850Ci Manual
    '88 BMW 635CSi ACS's++
    06 MB S65 AMG
    09 911 4S
    +++

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Photobucket is now something like $400/year, BMWM5LOVER. 'Tis why your pictures disappeared quickly
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    e24, e31, e32, e39, e60
    Quote Originally Posted by tantumaude View Post
    Cool to see you here too (TSI on Maxbimmer). I think the common thread here is that you can't really avoid silver without destroying any value the car may have. I'd agree M5s, and all E34s in general, are increasing in value. I don't know whether you'd see a profit were you to do a full repair of all the rust (I think I know which car this is), but you'd certainly enjoy driving it.

I have updated the OP with a link to the pictures, instead of a direct host. Hopefully that works.

You and everyone else is right, it needs to remain true colour (likely) OR undergo a full and proper colour swap (unlikely)

I don't think the rust is that bad. To a half decent shop, it will be a piece of cake. Costs will not be low, but I think this car is not "far gone", especially what I have seen some other people (especially JDM and Muscle car restorers) revive and built up.
    Again, I need to throw it up on a hoist and do a full assessment on it before truly "committing" to anything.

IF you think this is a car that you have more history on, I'd love to hear it, good or bad! I am not going to be displeased if I happen to find out it was 4 M5's welded together, LOL, in fact that would make my decision very easy . I kid, I kid, but seriously, please share anything you may know.

- - - Updated - - -

Photobucket is now something like $400/year, BMWM5LOVER. 'Tis why your pictures disappeared quickly
    http://s350.photobucket.com/user/ent...to4/slideshow/

This should work, hopefully.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelhill View Post
    Quick question from a fellow e34 m5 (BK05058) owner... What is an MTech rear seat console that is referred to above and how does it differ from the backseat breadbasket in the pre-9/90 m5s? I am asking this question without having the benefit of seeing your pictures (perhaps repost them as attachments). Also, the option code cited above (s786A) appears to apply to 17" wheels, although I may be mistaken on this point. Please indicate the last seven digits of the VIN so that we may see where your call falls on the production run.
    #NBK06397
    I am going by what a BMW Vin 'guru' has provided me. I can take pictures of the back seats and report. I presume it could be likely the same thing, HOWEVER under a different option code/name based on CND vs US market?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
    I think you should donate it to me (BigD from max) so I can turbocharge it and put in a 7 speed DCT.
    HA! That would be something, wouldn't it?
    Toys
    94 BMW 850 CSi - OE
    91 BMW 850Ci Manual
    '88 BMW 635CSi ACS's++
    06 MB S65 AMG
    09 911 4S
    +++

My Cars
    e24, e31, e32, e39, e60
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Can't see the photos but am assuming it's a rough body. As is it's going to worth more in pieces unless you find a starry eyed dreamer.
    Restoration will likely leave you upside down in a big way especially if you mess with the car's originality with a color change and SLS delete, even more so if the jambs aren't done. For it to be desirable to a collector originality will be important. I think you know that given the cars that have passed through your hands.
    Perhaps get it running and find a dreamer to pass it on to, at least a body man who won't be paying another's wages.
    The running gear into a clean touring would make a desirable and saleable combination.
    My $.02
    Not a rust bucket, but plenty of surface rust on the panels in the usual spots. As mentioned, not a challenge for a pro body shop.
    Toys
    94 BMW 850 CSi - OE
    91 BMW 850Ci Manual
    '88 BMW 635CSi ACS's++
    06 MB S65 AMG
    09 911 4S
    +++

My Cars
    92 M5
    Looks like rust on the lower doors and fenders and a bit on the trunk lid. Likely all common to any E34 from Ontario

I have a couple really small spots on the bottom of my driver door. At some point in time it will get fixed and re-spray the car. I would be doing a full check over to see if it will run, good compression etc before even thinking about what to do next. Once you get it running and driving you can assess what would be the next steps. Having no idea what you paid (I assume a great deal) it would be up to you to decide how best to proceed. It is not a heavily optioned car so any restoration won't be too bad.

I am more of a purist and cars with SLS left are fewer and farther between. I am going to roll the dice at some point and bet that SLS equipped original cars will continue to rise in value much like turbine wheels.

If it were me I would get it running and driving and then decide next steps. What is the interior like ? That could also turn into a big dollar item depending on condition

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Your pictures don't show the rust so I can only go by your description and remind you that there is ALWAYS more than you see and it usually gets exponentially more expensive once you open that can of worms.
    Silver, BMW sold lots of silver cars for a reason, if you're thinking about resale your own taste shouldn't matter. Speaking of taste, those are the ugliest wheel covers I can imagine. Even more remarkable is that they cover a very attractive (to my eye)form follows function wheel.
    Good luck with it

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    e24, e31, e32, e39, e60
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith Jason View Post
    Looks like rust on the lower doors and fenders and a bit on the trunk lid. Likely all common to any E34 from Ontario

I have a couple really small spots on the bottom of my driver door. At some point in time it will get fixed and re-spray the car. I would be doing a full check over to see if it will run, good compression etc before even thinking about what to do next. Once you get it running and driving you can assess what would be the next steps. Having no idea what you paid (I assume a great deal) it would be up to you to decide how best to proceed. It is not a heavily optioned car so any restoration won't be too bad.

I am more of a purist and cars with SLS left are fewer and farther between. I am going to roll the dice at some point and bet that SLS equipped original cars will continue to rise in value much like turbine wheels.

If it were me I would get it running and driving and then decide next steps. What is the interior like ? That could also turn into a big dollar item depending on condition

Interior is very clean overall, only change I will be doing is converting to 94/95 door panels.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Your pictures don't show the rust so I can only go by your description and remind you that there is ALWAYS more than you see and it usually gets exponentially more expensive once you open that can of worms.
    Silver, BMW sold lots of silver cars for a reason, if you're thinking about resale your own taste shouldn't matter. Speaking of taste, those are the ugliest wheel covers I can imagine. Even more remarkable is that they cover a very attractive (to my eye)form follows function wheel.
    Good luck with it

Those are the OEM turbines, UGLY and COOL at the same time.
    Thanks. Silver it shall remain.

As everyone has mentioned, I will be taking it to a shop for a ground 0 mechanical assessment and go from there. Body will be left for last, because I can always just have a fun time driving it and just not car much about the body.
    Toys
    94 BMW 850 CSi - OE
    91 BMW 850Ci Manual
    '88 BMW 635CSi ACS's++
    06 MB S65 AMG
    09 911 4S
    +++

My Cars
    94 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith Jason View Post
    i agree. SLS is not inherently a bad system. 20 something years, and 100+k miles, and like any suspension things are worn out. Most of the problem is from failed accumulators, which if not replaced pound on the seals in the shocks. I guess having the luxury of being in a relatively mild climate, i can easily replace the accumulators and what not when it's needed and not have rusty frozen pipework etc.

The EDC in my euro m5 rides much nicer than the dinan non SLS suspension in my US car, and handles at least as well.
    Last edited by mottati; 10-20-2017 at 12:15 PM.
    Mike
    93 M5 3.8 Sterling Silver/Black (euro)
    94 M5 Touring Madeiraschwarz/Black
    80 745i (project)
    83 735i / 5 speed (euro)
    86 745i

My Cars
    e24, e31, e32, e39, e60
    Quote Originally Posted by mottati View Post
    i agree. SLS is not inherently a bad system. 20 something years, and 100+k miles, and like any suspension things are worn out. Most of the problem is from failed accumulators, which if not replaced pound on the seals in the shocks. I guess having the luxury of being in a relatively mild climate, i can easily replace the accumulators and what not when it's needed and not have rusty frozen pipework etc.

The EDC in my euro m5 rides much nicer than the dinan non SLS suspension in my US car, and handles at least as well.
    I will most likely be removing the SLS system, just for the sake of simplicity. At least a shock or two has been replaced in the rear over its life, according to the service records, but I feel a decent coil over system OR spring/strut combo will be much more aesthetically pleasing and handle as well if not better.

On another note, I am speaking with a shop at the moment and will be towing there for an 'on the hoist' assessment and having them (if deemed worthwhile) begin to work on the 'mechanics' of the car to make it a reliable and enjoyable driver.
    Toys
    94 BMW 850 CSi - OE
    91 BMW 850Ci Manual
    '88 BMW 635CSi ACS's++
    06 MB S65 AMG
    09 911 4S
    +++

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Why are there no pictures in this thread?!
    Instagram @Restoration_Motorsport
    www.RestorationMotorsport.com
    -Nick

My Cars
    German Super Saloon
    I was just wondering the same.
    Photobucket sucks!

Long live the E34!

My Cars
    1988 BMW 530i
    Come on guys, there's a link at the bottom of the first post to a photo bucket slideshow!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast