Thread: Buying a used BMW Qs

My Cars
    BMW

Buying a used BMW Qs

Hi all, hope this is the correct subforum.

I am seriously considering a used BMW 3-series, prob from '10 -'12.

First, I am trying to figure out what the difference is between various models. I found out what the SULEV is, but I also see:

335i
    335is
    328i xDrive

- and am not sure how they differ. Also, are there models other than what I have listed that might come into play here? I am not expecting anyone to give me a detailed rundown of each model, so if it isn't as quick as a one or two sentence answer, I wouldn't mind being directed to the proper resource to do some self-research.

Furthermore, where is the best place to find a used BMW? I looked on Cars.com and AutoTrader.com, and all I see is cars for sale by dealerships. Which brings me to.... is it ok to buy a used BMW from a dealership, or should I shy away from that idea, and go private only? Also, ebay and/or CList a good idea?

And finally, from a negotiating standpoint, what is a good starting point for a buyer? Is there a certain percentage below the asking price that is a good place to start? So, if the asking price is, say, $18,500 and that is not a ridiculously high #, what is a good approx. place for me to start?

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Ok, you can get a naturally aspirated 328i, or a twin-turbo 335i. You can get either in rear-wheel drive, or all-wheel drive. The regular -i models are RWD, while any model with an X in the name is AWD. The 335is is a slightly more powerful 335i with a double-clutch transmission. I would highly recommend test driving all the available choices to get a feel for them. The AWD has different suspension and steering that some people complain about. All-wheel drive might be nice for CT winters. The correct tires are really key to getting the best out of the car in all seasons. You can also get a coupe, wagon, or sedan with your choice of transmission, RWD or AWD, and engine (except for a 335 wagon since they don't make those).
    The 328i is generally regarded as more reliable than the 335i. All of the cars use an expensive electric water pump that lasts 60k-100k and fails without warning. Any of the cars made up through early 2010 can have an uncommon but expensive bearing ledge issue. The 335i can also have issues with turbos, DFI fuel injectors, and high-pressure fuel pump (warranty for 10yr/120k miles). The 2011+ 335i models have a newer N55 engine that avoids the injector and fuel pump issues. The 2007-2010 n54 engines are faster and more tuneable, the 2011+ N55 is generally more reliable. The 335i gets the awesome German ZF transmission while the 328i gets a less awesome GM transmission (possibly made by Toyota).
    As far as buying a car, I hate dealerships. I would try to find a clean private party car on craigslist/ebay/facebook/autotrader. You can find deals on any of those, but take your time to find a good deal. Compare the asking price to the KBB and NADA values, and don't pay more than private party value based on mileage and condition. You will surely see crazy asking prices, you don't want to pay more than the car is worth. Also get a pre-purchase inspection, well worth the money so you don't buy a bad car.
    Last edited by RocketSurgeon; 10-18-2017 at 01:30 AM.

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    The 335is is a slightly more powerful 335i with AVAILABLE double-clutch transmission.

...while the 328i gets a less awesome GM transmission (possibly made by Toyota).
    Corrected the DCT - it was also available with 6MT. The GM is ok, and is made by GM in France (not by Toyota.)

My Cars
    335i N54
    Just bought my first 335i...excited to start a fun journey.

My Cars
    08 335i and 15 others...
    I'm about a month ahead of you BobbyJ, I've already started my journey Feel fee to stat a thread on what you found, where you bought it, you plans etc. You need 10 posts before you can put up pics anyway

AJ

My Cars
    BMW
    Thanks!