Thread: 10 speaker system, replacing...

My Cars
    1992 750il / 1991 560 SE

10 speaker system, replacing...

So I wired my two Alpine amps to the 10 speaker system. Works well and has until I messed something up. So the 4-channel amp is going out for repair and I figured I may as well get around to replacing the speakers. I have not settled on any brand yet.

So the setup is:

Front =
    tweeter 1" 5w
    2.5" 10w
    5.25" 35w

Rear =
    tweeter 1 or 1.5" 5w
    5.25" 35w

The stock tweeters will stay, the door and rear shelf 5.25" will be replaced. And the dash mids (2.5") will be replaced as well. So thats 50watt per channel with each speaker at 4ohm. I will loose front/rear fade and split the channels so the left tweeters and mids will be on one with the 5.25" being on another channel. Then I can use the crossover adjustments on the amp to bring lows to the 5.25" while getting mids/highs to the tweets. This is actually how its setup now already but with stock speakers of unknown wattage. The fade function will end up acting like a balance between lows and mids/highs. Subwoofer will be on a totally separate amp and RCA output.

So any thoughts, input? I am not looking for anything expensive, crazy. Just want decent audio. I think anything will be better than what I have consider my two front mids have fallen apart.

My Cars
    91 735iL
    Could just replace the speakers with some other OEM ones. They respond well to good power behind them. Plus you can them for decently cheap. If you're looking completely aftermarket, NVX makes some good 5.25 speakers. I ran them for awhile until I up-sized speakers.

My Cars
    1992 750il / 1991 560 SE
    I replaced the 2.5" mids with these yesterday. I have to install the 5.25" yet and replacement amp. But they sound pretty good. Probably on the more expensive side for a 2.5" but I wanted an exact fit and these were. While they are raised, the OEM speaker have a cap (usually fallen off) of the same height. So in the end there really is no difference. The screw holes lines up exactly. Only thing I had to do was bend the metal connectors straight down. So for a cheap easy install with no modifications, these work just fine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2-5-Min...2/160919177291

My Cars
    1992 750il / 1991 560 SE
    Confused. Looks like someone was in the car before I installed my amps. But the system sure seemed stock with a stock amp and stock speakers. So not sure what they were doing. But I sorta figured when I replaced the 2.5" mids up front, there was a solid blue wire with electrical tape that did not look original.

Now today I went to replace the totally shot kicker panel speakers. They have four wires? So now I am confused. I installed them anyway and found only one wire set was needed to make them work. With the other set disconnected, both the mid and tweets up on the dash/door still work. So what is the extra pair of wires for? At first glance, it looks like someone wired the door tweeters to the mids when originally the door tweeters would maybe be passed through the kicker speakers?

IMG_3484.jpg
    IMG_3482.jpg

With the kickers working and showing that my amp is not blown like I thought, I moved onto the rear shelf. Now I am not sure what to do. Passenger side was just floating around in there! The driver side seems to be mounted solidly. But they appear to be mounted with one nut on the bottom right to the metal? See the set screw on the bottom of the speaker. And I see no plastic shroud/assembly or any other way to mount them. I can only assume something is missing. Are these even stock speakers? I did not expect to run into this issue....

IMG_3487.jpg
    IMG_3486.jpg

My Cars
    1992 750il / 1991 560 SE
    Okay. I see for the rear there is a "cup" that is needed and in my case, missing. They are cheap new but the only place will not have them until next month, so I spend MORE for a used set on eBay. $15 shipped. New they were only $3.29 each for original BMW.

Part number is: 65131374499

So I guess I have to wait for those to come in. I guess in the mean time, I will run all new speaker wires to get this wiring mess all straightened out.

My Cars
    1992 750il / 1991 560 SE
    So the 10 speaker system I have heard so much about - is not a 10 speaker system. Its at least 11 with maybe one more, not sure yet. There is one at center of the dash. I am not sure how it was originally wired, I *think* off the extra connectors on the front kicker panel speakers because the sold green/yellow wire that was on those does not go back to the trunk and each speaker had a set. But if that was the case, I would expect one from each speaker not four, like it was wired from each dash speaker with a rather non-factory looking green and blue wires. But in the end, I am not sure what the extra green and yellow wires are for really.

Then there is this wire harness I found. I have to lookup the part number, but it looks BMW. It was inserted between a connector that carried the signal from just below the cluster to the three passenger front speakers. With it in place, I could only get one speaker to work directly from the wires in the trunk and the driver tweeter would not work. Once I pulled it out and hooked things back to "factory", everything fell into place and it all works now.

On a last note, I do feel the rear speakers are factory and they way they are mounted is via the bottom threads with a nut. So no plastic cup/bucket. The passenger side was still installed this way and there was even an extra metal piece for retaining the nut. No way that was after marker. These rear shelf speakers are also MASSIVE compared the ones I am putting in, which now match the front kickers. Given what I can find, I think there was another system out there beyond the 10 speaker? Keep in mind, it all worked as wired to my amp even with the harness, until today when I sliced things directly and further up the trunk hardness to isolate each speaker wire.

harness removed
    IMG_3496.jpg

harness installed
    IMG_3488.jpg

harness "Intersected" this connector behind knee board, which is for all front passenger speakers.
    IMG_3495.jpg

Rear mids are same size as dash mids, 2.5". They are not tweeters as originally indicated on other threads. No tweeters in back shelf at all. Also same speaker is at center of dash. So I have to order three more 2.5" speakers.
    IMG_3498.jpg

My Cars
    1992 750il / 1991 560 SE
    On another note, since I decided to see if I could isolate each speaker wire set instead of running all new wires I no longer have to do so. I though maybe the tweeters on the doors were tied into dash mids, etc. But there is in fact a wire set for each speaker that goes back to the trunk for certain. But they share common grounds. So I cut them all back to be sure they were individual sets then wired them to the amp. They no longer share common grounds.

I will have to run one RCA set for sub-signal.

In this pic you can see my original wiring pig-tailed to the factory after the point of some wire sets being grounded together. I now cut everything further back to isolate everything and just ran the wires direct to amp instead of adding pig-tails.
    IMG_3493.jpg

My Cars
    1992 750il / 1991 560 SE
    Apparently I have the Infinity Reference System in my car. And all that messes wiring and electrical tape that I thought someone hacked in? Yeah... its factory... wow....

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/405678
    Last edited by unity; 10-29-2017 at 09:21 PM.