Thread: Throttle COMPLETELY dead for a few seconds while driving - no codes

My Cars
    2007 328i e90

Throttle COMPLETELY dead for a few seconds while driving - no codes

Hi all,

First post

I drive an 07 328i e90 with a manual transmission and 115k miles.

After driving 150 uneventful highway miles on my way home, I merge onto my exit ramp and my throttle pedal goes totally dead. Out of the blue. No warning symptoms prior, it just cut out. And this wasn't limp mode, which I've experienced before. This was literally ZERO response from the gas pedal. It stayed like this for 3-6 seconds (I was in OH **** mode so I can't be sure how much time passed). I also can't be sure whether the revs were at idle or at 0. I still had power steering and brakes.

The SES light came on while I had no throttle. I mashed the pedal and BANG it comes back to life and revs to 6k. SES light then turned right back off as the throttle kicked in. The rest of my drive home was fine. It reminds me of when you stall out and the electronics are still running but the engine is dead and the SES light is on until you restart. (Is it possible it stalled and bump started itself without pressing the start/stop button?)

When I got home, I used my OBD2 scan tool that connects to my phone and it showed no codes (none in the history either). I'm at a loss, I have no idea what happened. I'm not very experienced with cars either.

When I started it up, I got a headlight symbol on the dash which I didn't take much note of because I was looking at my phone and didn't have much time. I included this additional info because during my googling I saw someone mention that the same thing had happened to them after their throttle died.

Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Ok, codes will be the best way of figuring out what happened. Generic obd scanners can't read most of the special BMW-specific codes. You should have stored ghost codes that BMW software can read. You need something like INPA, ISTA+, or Carly. Free hacked versions are available for all of these.
    As far as what happened....hard to say. Being a manual, it may have died and re-started. It could be anything from a throttle position sensor, to a bad battery cable or engine ground. Codes could probably tell you what happened.