Thread: Need advice on install mistake of rear wheel bearing

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325IC

Need advice on install mistake of rear wheel bearing

I forgot to install the retainer ring while replacing my rear wheel bearings. I did this only on one side but now I need to get the hub out so I can install the retainer ring is there a way to do so without doing damage to my new rear bearing?

Any advice on a good way to get the retainer ring on without causing damage to new parts would be greatly appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

2017-10-17_0924.jpg

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by steelfan247 View Post
    I forgot to install the retainer ring while replacing my rear wheel bearings. I did this only on one side but now I need to get the hub out so I can install the retainer ring is there a way to do so without doing damage to my new rear bearing?

Any advice on a good way to get the retainer ring on without causing damage to new parts would be greatly appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

2017-10-17_0924.jpg
    There is no way to pull the hub without pulling the bearing apart. The part of the inner race against the hub will come out - there's no way to keep it on there.

You can decide whether you think it'll be OK to just press the hub back in and push the bearing back together, but if I was doing the work I'd just replace the (brand new) bearing. Yes, that sucks. But way better than having to do it again in 2 months because the bearing was ruined.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Impossible to re-use the bearing
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    According to the pic the hub hasnt really been pressed in yet. Might be salvageable. What is that tool?? Looks neat.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    According to the pic the hub hasnt really been pressed in yet. Might be salvageable. What is that tool?? Looks neat.
    OP said the hub was pressed in, that could be the Harbor Freight FWD bearing tool the guy from Edz Garage on YouTube uses on an e46. I plan on buying one today for my upcoming wheel bearing job, sure hope it cures my annoying noise.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    1998 323is, 2007 e92 335
    When I did the rear wheel bearing I noticed play in the hub after bearing install. Not being sure if this was an issue I removed the hub to make sure the bearing was pressed fully. The bearing was fully pressed and I installed the hub back into the bearing and have had no issues. I didn't go as far as installing the axle before I removed the hub from the new bearing or driving the car.

If you didn't go driving around maybe it will work out for you and the bearing stays intact removing the hub. I had an extra bearing on hand and considered replacing when I removed the hub from it but the FAG bearing has given me no issues. This is good news since its a pia to replace these rear bearings.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by stiglite View Post
    When I did the rear wheel bearing I noticed play in the hub after bearing install. Not being sure if this was an issue I removed the hub to make sure the bearing was pressed fully. The bearing was fully pressed and I installed the hub back into the bearing and have had no issues. I didn't go as far as installing the axle before I removed the hub from the new bearing or driving the car.

If you didn't go driving around maybe it will work out for you and the bearing stays intact removing the hub. I had an extra bearing on hand and considered replacing when I removed the hub from it but the FAG bearing has given me no issues. This is good news since its a pia to replace these rear bearings.
    Once you install the axle and tighten the nut down that play will disappear. I had the same issue

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by stiglite View Post

@ OP: stiglite did this right having a spare on-hand - and also got really lucky the bearing stayed together. You might get lucky and have it stay together when you pull it, but I wouldn't expect that and would have a replacement on hand (or at least be ready to order a replacement) when you pull it.

Obviously, if it doesn't pull apart you're good.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325IC
    Update the Bearing didn't stay together but swapped it out this time not forgetting the retainer ring.

My exact tool I have is Orion Motor Tech 23-Piece FWD Front Wheel Drive Bearing Adapters Puller Press Replacement Installer Removal Tool Kit from amazon I paid $64.99

but you can buy the Astro Pneumatic Tool 78825 Master Front Wheel Drive Bearing Adapter Kit on Amazon as well and I believe it has a more heavy duty 7/8" grade 8 drive bolt it is a bit more pricey at $82.98

My kit is good and haven't had any issues so I've been happy with it. I also have a ball joint service / press kit with many other fittings so this combo does just about anything when it comes to ball joints, bushings, and bearings.
    tool.jpg
    Last edited by steelfan247; 11-22-2017 at 10:16 AM.