Thread: 1987 E30 Vert - Replacing Odometer Gears and Testing Cluster Lamps

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325i Vert

1987 E30 Vert - Replacing Odometer Gears and Testing Cluster Lamps

Guys,

As the title says, just sharing my experience with my 1987 BMW 325i Convertible and it's lack of tracking the miles down the road and at night not being able to see how fast I was going do to a burn-out Lamp.

The particular Instrument Cluster in my situation is by MotorMeter as they are two companies that made Clusters for E30's during this time frame.

A few pictures of the preliminary work ............

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325i Vert
    As I mentioned that I tested each lamp individually while OUT of the Cluster and also, after re-inserting it on the Cluster Circuit board.

The pictures that I am showing are when I tested them each while Out of the Cluster because I didn't have the camera situated on any Tripod nor did I have anyone to assist me with the Camera Shots and you need complete attention to the Cluster Circuit board when testing the Lamps! The reason I took each lamp out was to exercise the circuit board solder contacts and take away any dirt or contaminates as these been sitting for 30+ years!

I knew that the Driver's 12Volt / 3 Amp Illumination Lamp was not working so, I tested it both outside and on the circuit board and nothing so, I went to the Auto Parts store (Auto Zone) and they had a Two (2) Pack bulb set.

Some more progress!

- - - Updated - - -

Super Progress!

- - - Updated - - -

Finally! COMPLETE!

- - - Updated - - -

Guys,

I am so happy that I looked at the Video one more time and had to get the Instrumentation Cluster partially out and did so, for the Odometer Plug Connector!

This is the GREEN connector that inserts with four tiny holes and right underneath the back side of the Odometer / Instrument Cluster.

I felt the holes and counted them across to determine the correct orientation of the GREEN connector as I was doing this in the Blind. Fortunately, the Connector slide in the holes and made that distinctive sound "Click"

These Videos are great because they keep you honest!

A few pictures as usual.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys,

The Odometer Gear Replacement Work is not difficult, just very detailed oriented and you need to GO SLOW and CAREFUL. REMEMBER, these plastic parts have been there for 30+ years and you need a steady hand and skill level with any part of this work.

Just go slow and carefully.

I guide myself using these videos:

Here are a few things that I did and not on any VIDEO:

1. I never laid down the Instrument Cluster with the Gauges Exposed on any surface! I held the Instrument Cluster while working on it and while taking out the Odometer Unit!
    2. I always collected every screw in a medical plastic container so, I don't lose anything!
    3. I used lots of care while removing the Connectors and Reattaching them on the Instrument Cluster!
    4. Used a HANDS FREE Magnifying Head Lamp to see clearly while working with these tiny screws and Lamps!
    5. Item(2.) is critical as you need to make sure you use the correct screw as there is potential you can ruin the Cluster Circuit board if you use the wrong screw length!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K3Xhu4qrL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V_t...ature=youtu.be

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325i Vert
    Guys,

I almost forgot!

Like to report that during the Test Drive, the Odometer, Tachometer and ALL other Gauges work like new! It actually drove like new!

Watch the Tachometer needle as it was NOT working before. I found a three way splice down below within the Driver's Kick Panel that required SOLDERING!

It now works flawlessly!

The MPG scale does work but, it usually GOES to almost ZERO upon Acceleration!

Watch the Needle!

Last edited by guapoman2000; 10-17-2017 at 04:06 AM.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325i Vert

Keeping my E30!

Guys,

I don't know if I am doing the correct decision but, I have decided to keep my 1987 E30 vert for a little longer!

After Fixing the Odometer Gears within the Instrument Cluster, it rekindle the reason for me taking over the car in the first place. It is just so well Engineered and so simple to work on.

The best was the test drive, it was magical as I took my mother for a drive in Central Florida with the TOP DOWN and she enjoyed it to the point of having an Ear-to-Ear smile all early evening!

So, this German Chariot took us to a place with lots of relaxing beauty and peaceful known as Blue Jacket Park which what used to be the NAVY Training Center in Orlando, Florida. Now it is called the Baldwin Park area next to Baldwin lake, a super nice place and public park.

I bid you all a super BMW viewing day, what's left of it.

Last edited by guapoman2000; 10-17-2017 at 04:11 AM.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    great job!!!! its nice that everything works properly, even that needle sliding all the way towards zero is right when accelerating.

the only little note for you is that the green plug is the cruise control, if I remember right. still, great job!
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    great job!!!! its nice that everything works properly, even that needle sliding all the way towards zero is right when accelerating.

the only little note for you is that the green plug is the cruise control, if I remember right. still, great job!
    Thanks!

I sure hope it is the Cruise as it was not working and I don't recall that connector being connected to the Cluster when I took it out!

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    none of my cars have the green plug and none have cruise. I have found the kit on ebay but they generally go for 150 bucks because its the green piece on the back of the cluster, the harness, the box near the ecu, and the parts in the engine bay.
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Nice write up! Did you change out the SI board battery while you were in there?

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Good stuff and congrats on keeping the car!

Also you either stay up pretty late or wake up pretty early
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325i Vert

Post 1987 Vert - Instrument Cluster - Odometer Gear Replacement Work - Circuit Board Batts

Quote Originally Posted by sienayr View Post
    Nice write up! Did you change out the SI board battery while you were in there?
    I do own a brand new high end (Quality) Hakko FX-888 Soldering Station (discontinued), however, the removal of the Batteries Ni-Cd's require intricate De-solder & re-solder work of which I didn't plan for any time to replace them and I believe these batteries have been replaced once before during the Life of this vehicle as I noticed one missing tiny screw that holds the front bevel frame towards the Instrument Cluster and let's not forget the NO Cruise Control. My main goals were to fix the Odometer and the Cluster Lighting Lamps and not concern myself with Circuit Board Batteries that are functioning correctly as the Lamps are turning OFF for those items that are not Off-Limits.

In the "B" Manual under Electrical Section, (7.2) it states: ( Didn't take it from exact wording to avoid copy-right issues)

The service interval indicator board needs voltage to maintain the board's stored memory and to keep its internal Ni-Cd Batteries charged. This voltage is supplied to the board directly from the vehicle's battery via FUSE no. 21 (7.5 Amp). If the car's battery is disconnected OR becomes discharged, the Ni-cd cells are designed to hold the board's memory for up to four months. Over time, these batteries may become faulty or dis*charged if the correct voltage supply is not present (i.e., missing or blown fuse, broken or damaged wire to the instrument cluster). Discharged (Ni-Cd batteries will cause all of the interval lights to come on at the same time. In addition, the lights will not will not go out after doing a reset. If this happens, check that the board is receiving the voltage and ground at the instrument cluster harness connectors. If no faults are found using the Trouble-shooting steps then, Ni-Cd batteries on Instrument Cluster Circuit board maybe faulty and the complete board needs to be replaced as an entire assembly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVA164 View Post
    Good stuff and congrats on keeping the car!

Also you either stay up pretty late or wake up pretty early
    I get cat naps! Sleeping too much wastes too much valuable time from fixing!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks all who have replied, much appreciate!
    Last edited by guapoman2000; 10-17-2017 at 06:51 PM.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325i Vert
    Okay, an UPDATE!

Finally had an opportunity to capture a better VIDEO of the inner workings of my Instrument Cluster / Odometer and other Gauges!

<a href="https://vimeo.com/242116311" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

Last edited by guapoman2000; 11-09-2017 at 11:55 PM.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325i Vert
    Just a quick UPDATE:

The 1987 BMW 325i Vert was taken out for a good drive and Odometer and ALL other gauges worked flawlessly!

Amazing!