Thread: Only 4L of Coolant

My Cars
    '13 328i E93; '99 528it

Only 4L of Coolant

Long time lurker first time post here. I've read thru countless DIY posts on coolant flushes and watched dozens of YT videos that I could walk thru the process in my head.
    Then I finally went for it and attempred a coolant flush on my daughter's 2003 E46. I never could crack the engine block drain plug so I just flushed the system a couple times and drained thru radiator petcock valve until it was mostly distilled water coming out. I ran the engine and heater during the flush so that the water pump would force water/old coolant thru the system esp from the engine block.
    When I saw that it was finally draining mostly distilled water I began to fill with premixed BMW coolant (1 gal or about 4L). I was planning to add 2L of pure coolant then top the rest (about 2L) with distilled water to try to get 50/50 mix as much as possible. I may have underestimated how much water was left in the block/system because it would not take any more than the first 4L of premixed coolant I put in. The system coolant capacity is 8.8L.
    I bled the system anyway then drove it around till it reached operating temp. Now waiting for it to cool down. Im hoping coolant would have settled and then I can add more pure coolant to balance out 50/50 mix.
    So did I screw up somewhere here and need to reflush the whole system again? At least Im finding no apparent coolant leaks.
    Thanks for your help!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The block holds a lot of coolant. Not getting the block drain out prevents that coolant from draining. It sounds like you did a good job replacing the coolant. I would keep an eye on the coolant level for a week or so just to make sure that all of the air is out of the system.

My Cars
    '13 328i E93; '99 528it
    Thanks Marco. After it cooled down last night the coolant level settled and I was able to add a little more coolant. I checked again this morning and while the coolant settled some more the level indicator is at max. So it sounds like the block holds about 45-50% of coolant? I'll have to remember that for next time around.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    You’re welcome.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    If you were adding premixed 50/50 coolant then you have a problem. You added 4L of premix so now your concentration is only 25% coolant. If you can't get the block drain plug out then you'll have to repeat your process and add a gallon of full strength coolant.

My Cars
    '13 328i E93; '99 528it
    Thanks, Fly! I considered that. I wanted to use up the pre-mix before I cracked open a new bottle of coolant. Anyway, after the cool down I continued bleeding the system and added pure coolant until all of the air was out. I'll continue to check thru the week.