Thread: How do you get the most from your Solo?

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3

How do you get the most from your Solo?

Picked up an AiM Solo about halfway through the season and am absolutely in love with it. Use it every session and frequently review the data between sessions. In addition to the basic features of the device (lap timer, reviewing speed and G traces), I've started playing around with the math channels. Thus far I've programed in GSum, corner radius, curature and VMax/VMin. It was a little overwhelming at first but i've started to get the hang of what the data is telling me.

That said, I am interested in hearing how others are getting the most out of their Solo and features you find to be the most helpful. What and how are you looking at the data? Are there any interesting views you use that you?

On a semi-related note, has anyone taken one of the seminars with Roger Caddell? Interested in to hear your feedback on the seminar and if you help it was helpful.

My Cars
    German ones
    I'm really interested to follow this, good topic!
    Dave
    '18 RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins
    '15 Pure White VW Touareg TDI
    ///'95 Avus M3 S54B32 Race car -- 2022 ProAutoSports PS1 Champion
    ///'72 Chamonix 2002 (Restoration project)

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    I've done a seminar with Roger, it was very helpful to see and learn some of the tips and tricks and keyboard shortcuts. The software is so clunkily designed that learning the shortcuts is hugely helpful.

As strange as it sounds, the most useful thing about the Solo is A) having faster codrivers than me and B) hopping in other similar cars with the logger. Comparing the data after the fact is super useful, especially if you have usable steering angle, throttle position, and brake switch/pressure.

Beyond driver comparison, I've used the Solo (DL + can) data output to diagnose a failed differential and to spot when the car went into ice mode and why (hard brake and turning and the car said NOPE). I haven't delved into the math channels too much, but one I know is useful is brake switch combined with negative longitudinal g as a stand-in for brake pressure. You can also combine clutch, brake, and throttle signals into a gas/coast/brake channel to better understand what your feet are doing.

I'm working on a side project to take analog inputs that the Solo DL doesn't normally get over CAN (brake pressure, oil pressure, etc) and send the data to the Solo for analysis. Very early stages but I'm pretty confident it's doable. The idea being you can add in a few extra sensors without buying the $$$ logger units.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post
    I'm working on a side project to take analog inputs that the Solo DL doesn't normally get over CAN (brake pressure, oil pressure, etc) and send the data to the Solo for analysis. Very early stages but I'm pretty confident it's doable. The idea being you can add in a few extra sensors without buying the $$$ logger units.
    This might be a good start. It's open source so you can hack it into submission if necessary. It claims to already work with Aim stuff.
    https://www.autosportlabs.com/produc...can-interface/
    Last edited by TXBDan; 10-17-2017 at 04:14 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    This might be a good start. It's open source so you can hack it into submission if necessary. It claims to already work with Aim stuff.
    https://www.autosportlabs.com/produc...can-interface/
    Whoa, that's a great idea-- I am using an Arduino so far.

The issue with the Solo DL specifically is that you can't configure the canbus easily, so I'm having to spoof channels that the Solo looks for on all BMW canbus which specifically don't exist on the E46 M3 for my application (i.e., brake pressure, gearbox temp). I'm going to dig into this a bit more, and ask the ASL folks.

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Semi-related: I've been thinking about this for a while- I'd like an AIM device, but my car is OBDI so I feel like I may not be able to use it to its fullest potential. I'm currently considering/kinda working on my own Arduino-based datalogger, but any input from someone in the same situation?

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Quote Originally Posted by mslevin View Post
    Semi-related: I've been thinking about this for a while- I'd like an AIM device, but my car is OBDI so I feel like I may not be able to use it to its fullest potential. I'm currently considering/kinda working on my own Arduino-based datalogger, but any input from someone in the same situation?
    The non-DL Solo is still very useful even without analog inputs, though the smartphone apps are really just as capable. I haven't looked into other options in great detail.

Autosport Labs Racecapture systems are another option if you want to input your own sensors and are comfortable with DIY coding/scripting/troubleshooting. I personally far prefer the AiM software (vs Racecapture) and bought the hardware based on that-- to my mind the hardware is only as good as the analysis software. Having said that, a lot of people are happy with Racecapture, and we use it for telemetry and limited analysis on the Lemons car. I use Aim on my personal car.

It depends on what you want to get out of it-- lap timing and predictive timing for driver development? Aim Solo without question. Got a canbus enabled car? Go with Solo DL or Racecapture Pro. Have a bunch of analog sensors you want to log data from? Racecapture or the pricey AIM units (or other makes). If all you want is to log data channels, and don't care about a display or predictive lap timing, that can easily be done with an Arduino and some basic excel/matlab wizardry, for far cheaper than the other options.
    Last edited by Bimmerman535i; 10-17-2017 at 05:29 PM.

My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    If all you want is to log data channels, and don't care about a display or predictive lap timing, that can easily be done with an Arduino and some basic excel/matlab wizardry, for far cheaper than the other options.
    This is kind of what I was going for. I currently use Harry's Lap Timer which does a decent job, although I might buy an external GPS antenna soon to make it a little more accurate. I figured it can't be that difficult to pull throttle %/clutch/brake (not sure about pressure, but on/off is easy), some temps, maybe gear, etc.

Part of me wants to put it together to improve myself as a driver, and the other part of me just thinks it'd be a cool project.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    This is kind of what I was going for. I currently use Harry's Lap Timer which does a decent job, although I might buy an external GPS antenna soon to make it a little more accurate. I figured it can't be that difficult to pull throttle %/clutch/brake (not sure about pressure, but on/off is easy), some temps, maybe gear, etc.

Part of me wants to put it together to improve myself as a driver, and the other part of me just thinks it'd be a cool project.
    A DIY logger is pretty doable. I made a logger and dashboard, but abandoned it because i couldn't write good enough software to support it.
    http://www.projectsofdan.com/?cat=18

If you want the hardware you can have it.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    I just finished up a season with a RaceCapture Pro mk3. I'm running WT/OT/OP/TPS/tach/diffspeed sensors to it as well as using a Fire HD 8 tablet for a dash.

Great:
    Hardware
    Data logging
    Tablet as a dash
    ShiftX2 shift light
    Predictive lap timer

Less great:
    Fiddly scripting required for many things including ShiftX2 setup. I've overrun my LUA scripting memory causing lots of crashing until i fixed it
    Tablet based analysis software is too simple and a little slow/clunky to use (might be my tablet)

Lesser great:
    "real" software for analysis doesn't exist.
    browsing log files is a bear (i spent an hour trying to find my time trial log the other night)
    Data incompatible with other platforms so can't compare with friends on AIM

Conclusion: It's fun as a project/tinkering. Great hardware logger. Great dashboard. Not good at data analysis and thus driver improvement. I think i'm going to have to throw an Aim Solo in the car for next year just to be able to learn/compare with other drivers

My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    A DIY logger is pretty doable. I made a logger and dashboard, but abandoned it because i couldn't write good enough software to support it.
    http://www.projectsofdan.com/?cat=18

If you want the hardware you can have it.
    Wow, this is exactly what I was aiming to build! I'd be happy to do my best to continue your project. I'll PM you.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    I've done a seminar with Roger, it was very helpful to see and learn some of the tips and tricks and keyboard shortcuts. The software is so clunkily designed that learning the shortcuts is hugely helpful.

As strange as it sounds, the most useful thing about the Solo is A) having faster codrivers than me and B) hopping in other similar cars with the logger. Comparing the data after the fact is super useful, especially if you have usable steering angle, throttle position, and brake switch/pressure.

Beyond driver comparison, I've used the Solo (DL + can) data output to diagnose a failed differential and to spot when the car went into ice mode and why (hard brake and turning and the car said NOPE). I haven't delved into the math channels too much, but one I know is useful is brake switch combined with negative longitudinal g as a stand-in for brake pressure. You can also combine clutch, brake, and throttle signals into a gas/coast/brake channel to better understand what your feet are doing.

Unfortunately, I only have the normal Solo and can't take advantage of those features for my own use. My friend has his DL wired to the CAN and I've shown him around those items. Incredibly useful feature when you can highlight just how much time someone is spending off the gas/brake. In case anyone is interested, the first post in this thread has a PDF with a number of math channel formulae. Discussion in there is also very helpful. Hope the mods don't mind the crosslinking to a different board but I don't have a way to link to just the PDF https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...nel-video.html

I am in a similar position to you. While my car is OBDII, the DL features are worthless because the refresh rate is so bad. So bad infact that AIM doesn't even make a DL harness for the E36. That said, it is still a VERY useful tool and is 100% worth the price of admission. The power of the most basic features has really helped me understand what I am doing, what I am doing wrong and helped to improve my driving. The hard part is figuring out how to use the interface and interpreting the data. The AIM videos they have online are very helpful, (here - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...B26qr4oCzumQnj and here -https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPfId_Ovu_d_USpk-ii0bEOfnU6wQT9fm) as well as James Colborn's videos (here - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...8iHBjjNDnCNCTf) One downfall of the device is that you have to sync your own videos to the data vs harry's does it automatically. If you have the $$$ you can always just get the DL and the AIM Smartycam but the smartycam is another $1000 on top of the $700 Solo DL. If you have any question on the device I am happy to answer them.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    TPS and other sensors are helpful, but you can still get a ton out of a comparison between two regular Solos. A simple time delta vs distance plot shows you where you're losing time and then you can simply compare speeds through that area to see at what point you're screwing up. The most important things are having a good car/person to compare with using the same system and software that makes comparison easy so that you actually do it.