Thread: 95 E36 Front wishbone bushings problem

My Cars
    1995 325I

Angry 95 E36 Front wishbone bushings problem

Took it to a shop to have new bushings installed. One the way home I hit the brakes and thought the wheels were going to fly off the car. Turns out the shop put the bushings on, but put them on the wrong sides. (left on the right etc). This is what im assuming broke the welded nut plates (on the inside of the frame channel) loose. Got the passenger side done, no problem. Went to do the drivers side, and the nut plate dropped into the frame. Anyone know how to access this section of the frame without cutting into it? bolted on access panel? Rubber Plug? Any help would be appreciated as were building this for my daughters first car.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Can you upload a picture? There are a couple bushings in the front

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    I'm assuming you're talking about the LCAB lollipops? Every other bushing isn't side specific (and technically the LCABS aren't either, just the lollipop). But I'm not really following the welded nut plates part.

Either way never take your car to that shop again. They should test drive the car, particularly after suspension work.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper1977 View Post
    Took it to a shop to have new bushings installed. One the way home I hit the brakes and thought the wheels were going to fly off the car. Turns out the shop put the bushings on, but put them on the wrong sides. (left on the right etc). This is what im assuming broke the welded nut plates (on the inside of the frame channel) loose. Got the passenger side done, no problem. Went to do the drivers side, and the nut plate dropped into the frame. Anyone know how to access this section of the frame without cutting into it? bolted on access panel? Rubber Plug? Any help would be appreciated as were building this for my daughters first car.
    Are you saying the lollipops were installed on the wrongs sides?

I don't know if those are nutserts like some of the other hardware in the frame (like the x-brace holes), but that would be a best-case outcome - relatively easy to fix (in theory).

But this could be a MAJOR problem. I've never heard of the lollipops breaking loose from the frame. People have broken the bolts themselves lots of times, but this is the first I've heard of your problem.

I won't start dispensing legal advice here, but if this was my car I'd be taking it somewhere else to get fixed and sending them the bill for it...

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1995 325I

Yes, the lollipop bushings. They are side specific, shop didnt know that, aparently the guy was sick on part number day. My best guess, the rattleing around because they wouldnt tighten caused the "nut Plate" to pop loose. I fixed the passenger side, took the driver side off, and bam...the plate slides down in the frame. Anyone have ANY idea on how to access this part of the frame to retrive it and get it back inplace to I can remount the lillipop?

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper1977 View Post

Yes, the lollipop bushings. They are side specific, shop didnt know that, aparently the guy was sick on part number day. My best guess, the rattleing around because they wouldnt tighten caused the "nut Plate" to pop loose. I fixed the passenger side, took the driver side off, and bam...the plate slides down in the frame. Anyone have ANY idea on how to access this part of the frame to retrive it and get it back inplace to I can remount the lillipop?
    There's no access. Guys with stripped threads or bad broken bolts cut holes in the side of the rail, weld in new nuts, and then weld the rail back together.

I wouldn't go down that path. I'd probably try to use a magnet on a piece of wire to fish the plate out.

You could get one of those cheap phone bore scopes if you have trouble getting it. https://www.amazon.com/BlueFire-Andr.../dp/B013HZCYXK

It probably hasn't slid past the brace bolt below it, so it shouldn't be too hard to do this. Especially if you get the bore scope - you should be able to see it.

Also, it may be a tight pressure fit - once you tighten it back down it may not move again. But if it does move, I'd consider throwing some kind of adhesive on the plate to keep this from happening again (now that it's been broken loose).

I'd say things aren't quite as bad as I'd originally envisioned. You should be able to fish it out with a magnet.

Removing the bolt from the brace below it could also provide another access point with the magnet.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1995 325I
    Yup, ended up cutting a hole in the fender well. Fished it out, got it back in place and bolted up. 10 minute fix for a 3 day issue, lol.
    The shop I took it to refunded my money and got a pretty colorful talk to go with it. Thanks for the help guys, we're back on track.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    I hope you found a way to hold that piece in place.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.