Thread: Broke New Fuel Level Sensor Carrier

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633

Broke New Fuel Level Sensor Carrier

Any advice on installing fuel level carrier? I kept trying to keep float rod from getting tangled up with fuel tubes and broken the darn plastic bracket that retains the spring. Guess I will need to order another carrier.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    The one on the driver's side?

It is a bit tricky...
    First, install the rubber gasket on to the tank. Lubricate the inner part of the gasket where the carrier slides in with a little bit of motor oil. Trust me, you won't get that gasket to seat on the tank if it is already on the carrier, so just don't try it that way...
    Next, on the level sensor on the driver's side, you need to start with it rotated a bit clockwise from where it is supposed to sit, so you can angle the whole foot of the contraption into the tank. Once it is 1/2 way in, rotate the unit counter clockwise so the foot actually lands back into its proper position... if I recall, that's approximately pointing back towards the left tail light. It is way more of a pain in the butt to put this one in correctly compared to the pump carrier on the other side, but the above should help you.
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonz View Post
    The one on the driver's side?

It is a bit tricky...
    First, install the rubber gasket on to the tank. Lubricate the inner part of the gasket where the carrier slides in with a little bit of motor oil. Trust me, you won't get that gasket to seat on the tank if it is already on the carrier, so just don't try it that way...
    Next, on the level sensor on the driver's side, you need to start with it rotated a bit clockwise from where it is supposed to sit, so you can angle the whole foot of the contraption into the tank. Once it is 1/2 way in, rotate the unit counter clockwise so the foot actually lands back into its proper position... if I recall, that's approximately pointing back towards the left tail light. It is way more of a pain in the butt to put this one in correctly compared to the pump carrier on the other side, but the above should help you.
    Thanks, cartoonz! I was able to take the nylon bracket that supports the spring-loaded rod off the old carrier and refit it onto the new carrier to replace the one I broke. I was having trouble rotating the assembly and keeping the float rod out of the way but i soon realized that float will clear the fuel tubes once the assembly is pressed in place.
    I had the gasket on carrier to give me a bit more clearance to insert assembly into tank then I pressed seal onto tank before setting carrier into seal. Lube did help!