Thread: Original rear radio support on non-AC car...

My Cars
    1981 318i Baur

Original rear radio support on non-AC car...

Hi, I run a restoration shop for vintage Blaupunkt radios and pride myself for knowing these radios extensively. I also own an e21 with no AC. Only problem is I have no idea how the rear of the radio is supported on the original radio installation. I have the e21 front bracket that fits perfectly, but without the rear of the radio supported, my NOS plastic around the radio will warp and crack. Yes, I could use generic "plumbers tape", but the correct mounting method would be preferred. Now, if I could only locate a correct lighter socket as well!

My Cars
    1977 320i
    My 77 non A/C has a simple small tab that gets a stud from the back of the head unit passed through. Then a nut get threaded on. This is a terrible description, but I can try to snap a picture tonight as I just have a block off plate installed now.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintageblau View Post
    Hi, I run a restoration shop for vintage Blaupunkt radios and pride myself for knowing these radios extensively. I also own an e21 with no AC. Only problem is I have no idea how the rear of the radio is supported on the original radio installation. I have the e21 front bracket that fits perfectly, but without the rear of the radio supported, my NOS plastic around the radio will warp and crack. Yes, I could use generic "plumbers tape", but the correct mounting method would be preferred. Now, if I could only locate a correct lighter socket as well!
    I have an extra lighter socket I'll sell cheap if it's the right one, I'll send u a PM with the details.

BTW, what are the "correct" radios for E21s anyways? BMW Bavaria cassette?

My Cars
    1977 BMW 320i
    The rear support of the radio (in my AC-free pre-facelift) is something on my "to-do" list this winter, but I was just planning on fabricating a little bracket. The Haynes manual shows a rear bracket, but there is no such object in my car, possibly because the PO had put in a modern stereo, which I replaced with an old Blaupunkt. From what I remember of the inside of the dashboard, any bracket will have to have a fairly long reach - maybe to the upper firewall.

My Cars
    E21, E30, E91
    Quote Originally Posted by cgifool View Post
    I have an extra lighter socket I'll sell cheap if it's the right one, I'll send u a PM with the details.

BTW, what are the "correct" radios for E21s anyways? BMW Bavaria cassette?
    I installed a Bavaria III cassette unit in my '80 euro:

bavcass3.jpg

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

I think it varies.. I have the original in and its a Blaupunkt CR-2002 am/fm fm-stereo with 4 track cassette player and the original schematic wiring diagram -Blaupunkt-Bosch Gruppe.

The Back support item is called a support strap,, looks like plumbers tape,, soft metal strip with holes in it. I have a diagram of it too with bolt size and so forth.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 10-17-2017 at 10:03 PM.

My Cars
    1981 318i Baur
    My '81 has the original single speaker in the dash, requiring a mono single channel radio. A Bavaria (mono Frankfurt) would be appropriate. A tape deck unit would be ok as well, but those are usually stereo models. I have seen OG speakers in the kick panels though making a stereo unit usable. Unluckily someone cut holes in my nearly perfect door panels and installed speakers there. Not a good choice.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

This one has 4 speakers two on the back shelf and two in the front in the legroom area on the sides and has a adjuster for front speakers or back speakers only and in the middle 4 speaker surround sound. It has a place for the speaker in the dash, yet none was there, all original surround sound.

If I need to get my Blaupunkt CR-2002 rebuilt I drop you a line, it works well, yet new goodies inside are always a welcome addition, I have the original wiring diagram of it that came with the car, showing all the resistors and there codes and so forth and other original documentation.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 10-28-2017 at 10:39 PM.