Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Z3 CSL Build...

My Cars
    z3

Z3 CSL Build...

AKA "When a dream becomes a nightmare"
    This is not a "build" thread so much as it is just a reminder to myself to finish this up already as well as a brief history on the project...

I think the E46 M3 CSL is one of the most beautiful BMW's ever made, so in 2013 I started a project with the goal to make CSL-inspired parts for the Z3. First up was exhaust accent pieces, similar in a style to the CSL diffuser but without the horizontal part joining them. I paid some reasonably big bucks to have them reproduced, hoping I'd be able to sell enough to offset production costs... mid 2014 the person helping me sort of just washed their hands of the project and sent me what was left...

1016170820.jpg

This is what I got, 2 3d printed moulds and 10 sets of unfinished exhaust accents.
    The cosmetic goal with these was simple, but execution was incredibly complex. The bumper always felt "bare" around the exhaust cutouts. Other BMW models like the E60 550i have little "humps" around the exhaust, it's a small detail that makes a big visual impact when looking at the car as a whole. What made it complicated was the dips and peaks and valleys all around that area... the horizontal design line BMW added just above the exhausts made it hard to contour smoothly around it without having weird visual artifacts. It would have been a lot easier had I not insisted they look good as a contrast color (I figured not everyone would paint them)

1016170803c.jpg
    1016170825.jpg

These parts did give me the look I wanted (they look really cool in person imo), but I didn't have the means to finish the 10 sets to make them sellable so I ended up being very demotivated from this, as it was essentially a box of wasted money...

Giving up on the exhaust accents, I looked to make a CSL style spoiler. It was designed just like the OE E46 M3 duckbill trunk, a slow gradual slope up to the center

1508168132660.temp.jpg

This is an easy part to make, I will document the process as I make another... this time I'm just going to finish it. Have made 3 clay mockups for 3 different people who said they could help reproduce it at various times so never "finished" one but whatever. Enough waiting!

This is basically my "I give up on reproducing these!" thread and I will document my progress from here as I strive to apply the CSL philosophy to the Z3 chassis...
    First "new" project
    CSL diffuser
    1016170803d.jpg

This is going to be pretty straight forward - I bought an eBay E46 M3 CSL diffuser
    First things first I will cut in the "valley" around the perimeter of the diffuser to separate it from the bumper piece around it
    Next step will be to split it in half - the E46 M3 exhausts sit a tad closer to eachother, so I will have to cut in the middle and widen just a hair
    It will then be moulded to the shape of the bumper and I will either add studs to the diffuser and drill holes to the bumper and attach it with nuts, or design recesses for double sided tape (or both)

I also have E46 M3 front splitters coming in. My inspiration is more from the CSL concept which had MUCH more aggressive splitters than the production versions came with. As such I will be modifying the splitters I bought to be closer to the concept version.

I'm also planning on painting the car Velvet Blue
    Just putting that out there for posterity's sake

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    z3
    Trimmed diffuser free from panel and test fitted

1016170914.jpg
    1016170914a.jpg

I like the way it looks. Had a second thought about cutting it in half for a second, considered just running an E46 M3 muffler back there... but nah...

Gonna cut it in half later today, get it the right width then start making it actually fit to the bumper. I will re-skin it in CF after it is reshaped, at least around the diffuser, like the original CSL.

I think I will end up reshaping the bumper slightly - getting rid of the lower/outer design line. It seems to interfere with the design of the diffuser and it doesn't need to be there visually for the diffuser.
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 10-16-2017 at 12:21 PM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Thoughts & prayers!

Looks pretty nice.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2006 M3
    Cool project. I have to say, I always thought that the real problem with the z3m is the weird looking front bumper. Wish there was a csl style front bumper, like the aerokit with a "upward smile" grille opening would probably look sweet.

Looking forward to see your splitter.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by LannVouivre View Post
    Thoughts & prayers!

Looks pretty nice.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by lapoune View Post
    Cool project. I have to say, I always thought that the real problem with the z3m is the weird looking front bumper. Wish there was a csl style front bumper, like the aerokit with a "upward smile" grille opening would probably look sweet.

Looking forward to see your splitter.
    Thanks. The front bumper as a whole will be getting some lovin too... I don't know what happened to my final rendition of this, but I have an earlier (MS Paint) mockup I did.

unnamed.jpg

All it needs to look more "CSL"-esque (beyond the obvious shaving the brake ducts) is a minor reshaping of the upper corners of the radiator opening. I will also be adding in some little "scallop" lines in the negative space (like the E46 M3 bumper shows below)

13701_1024.jpg

Cut the diffuser in half. Sucks cutting such new, nice carbon fiber but the deed must be done...
    When I went to test fit I also realized the CSL exhaust openings are a little wider than stock. I cut the lower diffuser piece on the stock bumper due to interference and placed the CSL halves snugly against the outer part of the stock exhaust opening. This will keep the openings in the stock location, and the slight added width will be added to the "insides" of the opening

1016171033.jpg

Now I measure how much width is needed to make it fit and fiberglass it together. The contour of the Z3M bumper in this area means I will also have to add some material to the edges to be able to trim it all flush in the next step, so when I fiberglass the two halves together I will also be adding some material to certain edges.
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 10-16-2017 at 02:15 PM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    BMW
    This is going to be pretty wild, I can't wait to see more!

My Cars
    S54 Roady, LS1 & LS2 E36
    looks pretty sweet!

My Cars
    Z3 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post

Cut the diffuser in half. Sucks cutting such new, nice carbon fiber but the deed must be done...
    When I went to test fit I also realized the CSL exhaust openings are a little wider than stock. I cut the lower diffuser piece on the stock bumper due to interference and placed the CSL halves snugly against the outer part of the stock exhaust opening. This will keep the openings in the stock location, and the slight added width will be added to the "insides" of the opening

1016171033.jpg

Now I measure how much width is needed to make it fit and fiberglass it together. The contour of the Z3M bumper in this area means I will also have to add some material to the edges to be able to trim it all flush in the next step, so when I fiberglass the two halves together I will also be adding some material to certain edges.
    I'd prefer an ACSchnitzer Diffuser fitment as a diffuser. This is a cool project BTW !
    @Tripfcr
    1998 M Coupe
    : (Euro S50B32), Estoril/Estoril/black, B&M SSK, 6Spd S6S-420G, Strong Strut, R.Forbes sub-frame kit & RE dual ear diff cover, Pro Ramp Variable Lock %75 LSD, Supersprint Race Headers & Resonators & DTM Cat-backs, Bilstein B6 Sport, BBS RC 301 & 303 8.5/10x18" wheels, Alcon Mono6 355x32mm Front & Mono4 332x32mm Rear Full Floating BBK

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    I would go with ACS one too... Though your's will be quite similar once done.
    Cudos for trying to archieve that look!

Funny that these are even called diffusers, none of these are really diffusers to begin with. But then Coupe, Sport, Lightweight says nothing about how the car should look, it tells more about ethos and purpose.

I have currently carbon fiber flat rear floor with adjustable rise angle coming to my coupe... Wont cut the bumper yet because that pearlescent paint is impossible to fix but the floor has possibilities for that in adjustment range.
    Last edited by Remotion; 10-25-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    really awesome

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Thanks. The front bumper as a whole will be getting some lovin too... I don't know what happened to my final rendition of this, but I have an earlier (MS Paint) mockup I did.

unnamed.jpg
    Looks like a mix of ACS with Aero bumper.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    in for more. Love to see custom projects of all sorts.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2006 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    Looks like a mix of ACS with Aero bumper.
    Someone really needs to make a mold of these...

How's progress on your diffuser BimmerBreaker?

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Remotion View Post
    But then Coupe, Sport, Lightweight says nothing about how the car should look, it tells more about ethos and purpose.
    Well, I think a Coupe, Sport, Lightweight should look coupe-y and sporty at a minimum.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3
    I'll be down for this. Props to you OP.
    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6 SPD Manuel

My Cars
    z3
    Progress has been slow but my buddy who will be painting this bumper (and my front M bumper and M side mirrors) rented a paint booth the 18th and 19th so the rush is on to get it ready before then...

Today I got the donor CSL diffuser trimmed to fit neatly, set it in place and fiberglassed it in. I have some pictures detailing more of the process I can share eventually (such a pain uploading stuff) but it took about 4 stages of fiberglass and is looking pretty good now. The hard work is done

From here it will basically be finish sanding it back to 320 grit and applying more fiberglass as needed. The bulk of the contouring and shaping is finished though which is awesome to see. I can't wait to get some primer on it soon to get an idea how it's going to look when painted.

Going to be all jet black for now, in the future I will repaint the car purple and at that time lay some carbon fiber weave over the diffuser to give it a carbon fiber look. Once sanded back down the carbon fiber can be applied directly to the bumper with the proper preparation and resin used.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    Deni2s, do you have any further info on the sexy orange Roady? I'm asking, uh, for a friend.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by LannVouivre View Post
    Deni2s, do you have any further info on the sexy orange Roady? I'm asking, uh, for a friend.
    Some pics here: https://www.drive2.ru/l/9005538/

ACS made first V8 swap into z3 in 1997, 4,4L engine, brembo brakes, 6 speed manual, 310 HP / 228 kW / 440 Nm / 5,4 sec. 0-100 km/h / Maximum speed 265 km/h.

Some specs (check the info under other tabs too on that page): http://www.ac-schnitzer.de/en/bmw-ca.../general-info/

Some quote from someone from ACS:
    We have made the development based on a Z3 2.8i — that was the strongest engine at that point of time. At the end the brake cooling tunnels in the front bumper of the V8 roadster were smaller than the ones of the M roadster but we did not have any problems with cooling the front brakes. To have always safely control we mounted a special high performance brake system for the front axle. The ventilated and grooved brake discs had a diameter of 334 millimeters and were 32 millimeters thick. The special calipers were equipped with two pistons with 42 millimeters diameter each. The standard ABS of course worked with this brake system, too. -> No thermal problems at all!
    P.S. I have those ACS mirrors, and that ACS bumper was for sale in Germany a year or two ago.
    Last edited by deni2s; 01-16-2018 at 03:10 PM.

My Cars
    bmws ;)
    Sub'd very nice man!

My Cars
    z3
    Bodyshop ended up being a trainwreck (long story short, my buddy had to get the local Sheriff's office involved to sort it out and get his car/my bumper back) and in the meantime I got a flat tire, but at least on the bright side I can finally get tires for and mount my Z4M Style 224 wheels on the z3 coupe. Of course, go figure, on the way home I get a speeding ticket... I was flowing with traffic but my car is loud, stands out... cop was at least nice about it

Anyways. Before, stock Style 32's (also, I really REALLY pushed my luck on the old tires... not proud but am amazed)

After on Style 224 Z4M wheels. After driving the rear did settle down a bit, but still sits a bit higher than I want. I have bilsteins/H&R's waiting to go on but first I need to sort out my tires rubbing at stock height!

Love the look and fitment of these wheels. In some pictures online I was afraid the rear would poke. It doesn't, spaced the perfect amount IMO

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Plz do M side mirrors and a ridiculous spoiler/wing.

Oh, also, I want a heather grey M rain hat. Do you only do snap backs or can you get a sized cap?
    Last edited by JWin; 01-23-2018 at 02:27 AM.

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    Interesting..... always loved that ACS rear diffuser that is impossible to even see on a car, let alone find for sale

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by JWin View Post
    Plz do M side mirrors and a ridiculous spoiler/wing.

Oh, also, I want a heather grey M rain hat. Do you only do snap backs or can you get a sized cap?
    It will have M mirrors and a CSL style rear spoiler. "Wings" are ugly IMO.

Hats are back in stock right now in very limited supplies, only snapback right now, I am considering expanding to other types: www.ascfabrics.com under Apparel
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3speed4me View Post
    Interesting..... always loved that ACS rear diffuser that is impossible to even see on a car, let alone find for sale
    I don't see any similarities between the CSL design and the ACS rear diffuser other than both being installed in the same general area

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    z3

Seriously...

seriously?

seriously.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    There are a few tricks I learned to take pictures of black car - never do it on sunshine and try to use dark backgrounds. Otherwise it looks just like big black something. Quite hard to understand how those wheels actually look as there is not enough contrast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast