Thread: 2003 E39 Touring occasionally won't start, starter just clicks

My Cars
    94 740i, 03 525iT, 86 VW

2003 E39 Touring occasionally won't start, starter just clicks

The title pretty much sums it up... occasionally when turning the key to start the engine, the starter just clicks like the battery is dead. Wait a few seconds, try again, and voila! She starts as if the battery is fully charged, which it is. What's up with that?!? TIA!

My Cars
    Too many
    Check your battery connections. I had a similar problem with my 740iS. Turns out the positive battery connection was loose.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    00 740iS
    84 635 (euro)
    88 M6
    84 745i
    88 325iX
    92 850i (6 spd)

My Cars
    BMW
    When the car doesn't start can you hear the fuel pump priming?

-James

My Cars
    E39 535i
    That was the first signs of my battery beginning to die. Have it load checked to be sure.

Absinthe makes the tart grow fonder

My Cars
    94 740i, 03 525iT, 86 VW
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupenut View Post
    Check your battery connections. I had a similar problem with my 740iS. Turns out the positive battery connection was loose.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    I was thinking that as I typed my post, but the car isn't nearby at the moment. I will check it and report back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
    When the car doesn't start can you hear the fuel pump priming?

-James
    Not sure, but if the problem persists after checking the battery terminals I will pay closer attention to other noises such as this.

My Cars
    740i, 330i, A6
    I would add the starter to the list of what could cause this. I have seen the symptoms that you describe for a starter that is going bad.
    2001 BMW 740i - Anthracite Gray - Style 32 Wheels --------- 2004 BMW 330i - Silver Grey Metallic
    Convenience Pkg - Cold Weather Pkg - PDC ------------------- Sport Package - Auto - Mroof - Hseats

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    test do not guess
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    94 740i, 03 525iT, 86 VW
    So the positive battery terminal was loose, but after tightening it the problem remains. The battery is the correct Bosch unit installed within the past few months and voltage is about 14v at idle.

Is there a way to test the starter other than replacing it with a new one?

My Cars
    E39 535i
    Have you had a load test done on the battery?

My Cars
    94 740i, 03 525iT, 86 VW
    Quote Originally Posted by StRaNgEdAyS View Post
    Have you had a load test done on the battery?

Are these symptoms indicative of a bad battery? I can't imagine a battery going from too weak (starter just repeatedly clicks) to cranking right over in a matter of seconds, but maybe I'm wrong, it has happened before... ;-)

My Cars
    E39 535i
    They are the very same symptoms my battery showed before it died completely..

My Cars
    2001 530i/a Sport
    Back in my 60's pony car days: starter solenoid.

More recently, I had the same problem Strange is saying: dying/dead battery.

Don't know if starter solenoids are still relevant with these newer cars.

2001 530i Sport
    Alpenweiss III / Black
    ---------------------------------------
    I do so I can understand.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by LysanderSpooner View Post
    So the positive battery terminal was loose, but after tightening it the problem remains.
    Bad cable connection can be hard on a battery... adds resistance that reduces charging and also adds load when its trying to crank the motor. That might have caused your battery to have had a harder time of things.

Quote Originally Posted by LysanderSpooner View Post
    Are these symptoms indicative of a bad battery? I can't imagine a battery going from too weak (starter just repeatedly clicks) to cranking right over in a matter of seconds, but maybe I'm wrong, it has happened before... ;-)
    What Stranger said about load testing.

Because these cars take a big-ass battery, it can be near dead but still power stuff up in the car and look OK. It can even measure fine voltage wise when fully topped off, and give a strong start or two under ideal conditions, but then give it a little load or a few minutes of use and it drops right off again. Basically it can charge up to voltage but can't deliver amps when asked anymore.

That's for sure how my battery manifested when it finally needed replacement, and I've seen many similar reports here over the years. Another telltale on mine was it became super temp sensitive - when it was stone cold (early winter) then it wouldn't roll the starter, but if it was warm and toasty it seemed fine. Can be misleading because the voltage 'seems ok' after charging and with ignition on but not cranking everyting looks great... and maybe when its 100% topped off and warm it works fine but then it pukes again as soon as it drains at all or the temp drops....

Doesn't mean the starter can't crap out either however. Just sayin' that's a common pattern for the batteries in these cars it seems.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    94 740i, 03 525iT, 86 VW
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Bad cable connection can be hard on a battery... adds resistance that reduces charging and also adds load when its trying to crank the motor. That might have caused your battery to have had a harder time of things.

What Stranger said about load testing.

Because these cars take a big-ass battery, it can be near dead but still power stuff up in the car and look OK. It can even measure fine voltage wise when fully topped off, and give a strong start or two under ideal conditions, but then give it a little load or a few minutes of use and it drops right off again. Basically it can charge up to voltage but can't deliver amps when asked anymore.

That's for sure how my battery manifested when it finally needed replacement, and I've seen many similar reports here over the years. Another telltale on mine was it became super temp sensitive - when it was stone cold (early winter) then it wouldn't roll the starter, but if it was warm and toasty it seemed fine. Can be misleading because the voltage 'seems ok' after charging and with ignition on but not cranking everyting looks great... and maybe when its 100% topped off and warm it works fine but then it pukes again as soon as it drains at all or the temp drops....

Doesn't mean the starter can't crap out either however. Just sayin' that's a common pattern for the batteries in these cars it seems.
    Now that's the kind of response I was looking for. Now I am tasked with having Pep Boys replace the battery since they left the terminal loose in the first place. I will report back with the results in a few days.

- - - Updated - - -

I should also mention that last night when it did it I noticed that the headlights and dash lights flashed on and off in unison with the clicking sound, which now that I think about it isn't as heavy of a sound as I've heard from most starters when they're going bad and making a mechanical solenoid sound. This is more like a relay rapidly switching on and off. Anyhow... onward.

My Cars
    528iT
    That battery definitely sounds a bit weak. If all the lights flash in unison with the clicking it's showing signs of a battery not doing it's thing.

Mine did that when the battery was borderline dead. Charging it with the X5 alleviated that issue.

My other issue stemmed from the actual 12v starter solenoid wire was physically loose on the starter. Fixed the battery and two days later it went back to clicking and then nothing at all. Pulled the intake boot back and low and behold, the wire was just wiggling about. Tightened the 8mm (or was it 7) nut holding the wire on and haven't had a problem since.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I forgot, check your grounds. The one from the engine block to the frame of the car especially as that one can cause all sorts of issues if it's missing or even just corroded.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    more good stuff right there.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    94 740i, 03 525iT, 86 VW
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
    That battery definitely sounds a bit weak. If all the lights flash in unison with the clicking it's showing signs of a battery not doing it's thing.

Mine did that when the battery was borderline dead. Charging it with the X5 alleviated that issue.

My other issue stemmed from the actual 12v starter solenoid wire was physically loose on the starter. Fixed the battery and two days later it went back to clicking and then nothing at all. Pulled the intake boot back and low and behold, the wire was just wiggling about. Tightened the 8mm (or was it 7) nut holding the wire on and haven't had a problem since.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I forgot, check your grounds. The one from the engine block to the frame of the car especially as that one can cause all sorts of issues if it's missing or even just corroded.
    Thanks for those tips, I will definitely check those things out.

The store where we bought the battery is so far refusing to give us a new one. If after checking the above I will really be pressing them to replace it. This issue only arose some time after replacing the battery. Prior to that, the old battery was just losing charge quickly when leaving doors open for a while, lights on, radio playing, etc., without the engine running. It never did this clicking thing with the old battery. Now I suspect that the loose battery terminal has caused some dead spots in the starter armature due to arcing. I hope that's not the case, and that a new battery is all that's needed. I certainly don't want to have to go after them for a new starter as well.

Then again, if I find a loose terminal at the solenoid and that fixes it, Bob's your uncle...

My Cars
    94 740i, 03 525iT, 86 VW
    So long story short, the battery was toast. I guess driving around for three months with a loose positive terminal is plenty of time to do major damage, even to a brand new battery. The starter now spins like the Tasmanian Devil, the lights are nice and bright, and the car even seems to run better!

Thanks for all the help. Having a ten page printout of this discussion in hand certainly had an effect on the manager's decision to replace the battery at no cost.

My Cars
    E39 535i
    That's excellent

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    08' E60, 01' E39it,99E39
    Like everyone above says, check the cables; we just went through a scenario where the negative cable end was not tightening up on the battery terminal; we purchased new one, properly put car to sleep etc etc, reconnected new cable to car & battery and the car started right up.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA
    My 2003 540iA will do this sometimes. It will click on the first key turn but not start. Turn the key off then try again, and it starts just fine. Battery is newer, but the car does sit a lot between drives. Battery connection is solid, started connection has never been touched in the 8 years I've owned it.

I plan to pull the starter one day and check the solenoid operation and starter bearings. The grease is 17 years old now, so things are getting sticky in there.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    When the car sits between drives for more than a few days , it is best to hook up a battery / trickle charger to the posts under the hood, to recharge the battery. That should fix the click-no-start on the first key turn, and prevent a few other possible problems.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by ElleShooTiger View Post
    My 2003 540iA will do this sometimes. It will click on the first key turn but not start. Turn the key off then try again, and it starts just fine. Battery is newer, but the car does sit a lot between drives.
    How long does the car sit for, days or weeks?
    If it starts just fine on the second try the battery should be fine, look for a bad/dirty connection somewhere, possibly at the starter like you said. Your battery connections may be tight but are they clean?
    Might be good to read the voltage at the battery in the AM before you start in.
    My car (11 year old battery) just sat for 16 days while we were on vacation, I purposely didn't connect my smart charger.
    It started up just fine when we returned.