RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Engine Explosion at 63K miles - Goodwill repair eligible?

My Cars
    2010 335D

Unhappy Engine Explosion at 63K miles - Goodwill repair eligible?

Hello all,

I am a first time BMW owner (2010 335D, bought new). Last Thursday I suffered a major engine failure while driving on the highway and I am curious if I would be eligible for a goodwill repair/ looking for advice.

Detail of failure: As I was entering highway from the on ramp and accelerating through 50-60 mph there was a loud bang, white smoke, and repeat thumping from the engine block. I immediately pulled over, stopped, and shut down, and called AAA. After being towed to BMW dealership in Colorado Springs the techs discovered that the #6 injector was leaking/ and or just malfunctioned. This caused an explosion that launched the injector up through the intake cover and bent the strut bar. Had the strut bar not been there it would have blown clean through the hood according to the tech. The number 6 cylinder is also damaged and the #6 piston also destroyed. The smoke was fuel that was on fire. The gentleman told me if I had continued to operate the fire could have consumed the vehicle.

So I bought this car new in 2010 and have loved every minute of driving it. I am active duty Air Force and have taken this car to 4 different states yet still have less than 64,000 miles on it because I have spent so much time out of the country these past 7 years.

I felt a goodwill repair was more than justified in this case for the following reasons:

1) I have only ever taken this car to certified BMW service centers and have been faithful in the maintenance thereof.
    -Rick Hendrick BMW, Charleston SC
    -Newbold BMW, O Fallon, IL
    -Jackie Cooper BMW Mini, Oklahoma City, OK
    -Princeton BMW, Hamilton Township, NJ

2) Despite faithfully maintaining the car, its engine destroyed itself after only 63K miles.

3) My extended warranty (80k miles and 84 months) expired in this past spring yet I am now faced with a repair cost greater than the value of the car itself (estimate repair cost $14,000).

4) From my conversation w/ the tech I understand that the white smoke billowing out of the engine / burning smell was caused by a gasoline leak, which if I had not stopped immediately could have caused a wider fire. This is very concerning to me as this is the car with which I drive my family.

As a first time BMW owner I have loved my 335D and have been incredibly impressed with the customer service rendered over these past 7 years. I know I am new to this dealership as I was only stationed in Colorado Springs this past May. However, I had every intention of driving this car until 2020 when I planned to buy another one. I requested a goodwill repair from the dealership and they referred me to BMW NA. However after I called BMW NA customer service told me they could make the request to the dealership but there was no guarantee they would offer assistance since dealerships are independently owned. BMW NA customer service also told me that it was unlikely that I would receive any help since my warranty had expired March 1st, 2017.

Do you guys/ gals have any advice?

-T it up.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Of all the cases I have seen for goodwill repairs, they were mostly loyal original owners that had their car dealer maintained. I do wish you the best, and I'm curious of the outcome.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2010 335D
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Of all the cases I have seen for goodwill repairs, they were mostly loyal original owners that had their car dealer maintained. I do wish you the best, and I'm curious of the outcome.
    M.D: thank you for the response. I hope you are wrong, but sadly I have a hunch you are correct... As a matter of safety I would think BMW NA would have a vested interest in making this right. Ill keep you posted.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by TITUP View Post
    ... the white smoke billowing out of the engine / burning smell was caused by a gasoline leak, which if I had not stopped immediately could have caused a wider fire... I have loved my 335D...
    Do you mean diesel? Diesel is not considered flammable, is hard to ignite. Though diesel spray that reached a hot manifold probably would.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 10-16-2017 at 11:56 AM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    M.D: thank you for the response. I hope you are wrong, but sadly I have a hunch you are correct... As a matter of safety I would think BMW NA would have a vested interest in making this right. Ill keep you posted.
    Well you don't seem disloyal at all, and only BMW dealers have serviced your car...
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2010 335D
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    Do you mean diesel? Diesel is not considered flammable, is hard to ignite. Though diesel spray that reached a hot manifold probably would.
    Thanks vintage, for the response. I am only going off what the techs told me (and yes it is a diesel). They stated the white smoke was most likely fuel burning off as it poured down the hot engine. I never saw any actual flames, only white smoke and smell of burning coming from engine block and into the cabin. When they started the engine up again in the shop after it was dropped off by AAA they said fuel immediately started leaking from the engine.
    Last edited by TITUP; 10-16-2017 at 12:14 PM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Yep, if the injector went flying out of the engine into the strut brace, I can imagine that you'd have fuel spraying everywhere.

You're the original owner, therefore you are EXACTLY the customer whom BMW wants to please. You've had the car serviced only by dealerships, so there's no question of whether an Indie shop might have done something wrong.

You even purchased an extended warranty, which had very recently ended.

Personally, like Abel (328Power04), I think you have an excellent chance of convincing BMW NA to consider a goodwill repair for you. Be nice, and be persistent.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Talk with the service manager, bmwna talks to him. Don't waste your time with the sa, they have no authority and good luck.

My Cars
    2010 335D
    Hey all, thank you for advice.

Update: I did speak with the service manager and I also contacted BMW NA directly. Local BMW quoted me a new engine at $22,000 which I was not going to be able to pay. However, BMW NA did respond and following engagement of local BMW dealership they agreed to split the cost of the new engine with me and cover labor and taxes. The new engine has to come from Munich so they estimate a 20 day shipping but I agreed to their offer and we are moving forward with repairs.

Again, thank you for all the feedback!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Hey all, thank you for advice.

Update: I did speak with the service manager and I also contacted BMW NA directly. Local BMW quoted me a new engine at $22,000 which I was not going to be able to pay. However, BMW NA did respond and following engagement of local BMW dealership they agreed to split the cost of the new engine with me and cover labor and taxes. The new engine has to come from Munich so they estimate a 20 day shipping but I agreed to their offer and we are moving forward with repairs.

Again, thank you for all the feedback!
    Well, that's better than paying full price I suppose but you may wish to investigate what the car is worth. looking at KBB $11k is what they say is trade value for the car. Net, zero.
    I'd be hard pressed to invest in this car that has already once so spectacularly failed at an early age.
    Might be better off taking your lumps on this one, bail out for a few Gs to someone that will DIY repair it and start over with some cash in hand.
    Good luck!

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2010 335D
    Ross, thank you for the note. I certainly have given it some hard consideration. I have actually priced it out with a couple dealers and 2 private buyers and I've gotten offers in the 13k-14.5k range once the new engine is installed. While the car is not in KBB 'excellent' condition (minor rock damage to front bumper) it is is very, very good shape. The interior can pass for show room condition as I've not in 7 years allowed food or drink in it and regularly keep up with leather care not to mention exterior waxing. The transmission would be my next concern but it only has 63k miles on it and I don't drive aggressively. Needless to say scrap yards in CO have offered me between $50-100 dollar per ton with highest offer being $1,500 for parts. Even if my total bill comes out to slightly over 10k I should be able to make a small profit I reason. On the other hand I am emotionally invested in the car, and with the old hydraulic steering and 425 ft/lbs of torque it is still a heck of a lot of fun to drive! So is 10k worth having that again? Still undecided but leaning towards "yes"

Again, thank you for the advice!

T it Up
    Last edited by TITUP; 10-28-2017 at 09:42 PM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    MAYBE, since the diesel fuel was on fire, the insurance company would call the whole episode "fire damage", and pay for your repairs.

Every few months, I see a car with a hydrolocked engine from driving into a flooded street, and the insurance pays for these.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2010 335D
    I like where your head is at. But I tried that and failed. I filed a claim with USAA (my insurance) the day after the event and they sent an inspector to come look at the vehicle. The report he filed stated that it was mechanical failure and thus not covered by insurance. The fire damage was limited to engine manifold and block, all of which will be replaced with new engine. Had they offered me replacement value I would have 100% taken that option.

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    crazy to pay 11k for new bmw engine. Can purchase this engine for 3500 or less with 70-80k do some work and drive the car again. If you were still stationed in NJ we would of been glad to help you with this
    Last edited by Driiven; 10-29-2017 at 01:36 PM.
    Buy my native installed ISIS ISTA-D/ISTA-P bmw diagnostic laptop. More Info Here!

My Cars
    2010 335D
    Quote Originally Posted by Driiven View Post
    crazy to pay 11k for new bmw engine. Can purchase this engine for 3500 or less with 70-80k do some work and drive the car again. If you were still stationed in NJ we would of been glad to help you with this

Driiven, thanks for the response. If you let me know where i can find a twin turbo 6 cylinder for $3,500 with less than 70k please let me know and Ill buy it tomorrow! Having said that I found two used engines identical to mine (one had 45k miles, the other 88k). The first was in Cali and they wanted $14,000 for it, the second was in Texas and they were asking 6k. Neither seamed like a very good deal. BMW NA also would not help with goodwill repair on anything but a new engine.

Also, for what it is worth the new engine will come with 2 year, unlimited miles warranty. I'm hesitate to buy a used engine with no assurance of quality when my current engine blew up at 63k miles.....

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Don't forget to add 36 hours install time (per Alldata). That's somewhere around $3500 to 4 grand.

Yes, you can find salvage 335D engines with ~70k for ~$4,000 through Car-part.com ....but, well, you're dealing with a salvage engine, which I've done on numerous occasions.

Most of them even come with a warranty....oh boy, they'll replace it, or refund me, if it's bad. That seems to be a relief - until you consider that you now have to pay a shop for TWO engine R & I. There's always a chance that you'll end up paying MORE than that $11k, and still end up with a 70k mile engine that's been subjected to water for a year or two, then some moron with a prybar and a bolt cutter, to remove it and pack it.

With the dealer/BMWNA option, the vehicle might even gain value, and maintains the benefit of complete dealership records, and that 2 year warranty.

I agree with your decision, T it up.

(If you want to check out Car-Part.com, enter the car as a 335i, then enter "Diesel". You'll then have to make phone calls on a few of them to make sure whether it's really a diesel) There's one on there that says 26k miles, $5k...but is is a diesel? And when the car was crashed, did the engine suffer structural damage, like a crack at the motor mount points? Had it ever been overheated?

Oh, T it up, you do need to consider that the factory new engine is not going to come with the fuel injector and some other parts that went boom, so get clarification on that stuff early on. Work them: "This $11k is going to include everything, right?"

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Ross, thank you for the note. I certainly have given it some hard consideration. I have actually priced it out with a couple dealers and 2 private buyers and I've gotten offers in the 13k-14.5k range once the new engine is installed. While the car is not in KBB 'excellent' condition (minor rock damage to front bumper) it is is very, very good shape. The interior can pass for show room condition as I've not in 7 years allowed food or drink in it and regularly keep up with leather care not to mention exterior waxing. The transmission would be my next concern but it only has 63k miles on it and I don't drive aggressively. Needless to say scrap yards in CO have offered me between $50-100 dollar per ton with highest offer being $1,500 for parts. Even if my total bill comes out to slightly over 10k I should be able to make a small profit I reason. On the other hand I am emotionally invested in the car, and with the old hydraulic steering and 425 ft/lbs of torque it is still a heck of a lot of fun to drive! So is 10k worth having that again? Still undecided but leaning towards "yes"

Again, thank you for the advice!

T it Up
    Profit? That's an interesting viewpoint. You'll recover more by selling it off broken for a few grand. Junkyards aren't the way to go. Offering it here could be a solution.
    Another solution would be a used engine and labor by an independent shop which will probably be less than half what BMW is offering.

I was recently involved in a similar scenario with a Mini belonging to a friend who neglected to keep his crankcase full. I encouraged him to dump it and get another car. He was also "emotionally invested" so insisted on repairs.
    I used my relationship with the local BMW dealer to source him a new engine at a big discount, about two grand worth. Since I'd rather have venereal disease than do an engine swap on one of those turds he paid a local independent shop to install it. All in he was about 8 grand.
    Just last month he was discussing selling the car and discovered that it isn't even worth his recent investment. No surprise to me but shocking to him since my prior advice had fallen on deaf ears.
    There are plenty of guys out there who buy broken cars all day and repair/re-sell them. Yours is ideal for this as it sounds like an otherwise nice car.
    For someone paying another's labor it seldom makes financial sense to do big repairs like this. I say take your lumps and get out now while the gettin' is good(such as it is) rather than find out later you are upside down like my friend did.
    Again, good luck.
    Last edited by ross1; 10-30-2017 at 10:59 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Yup, Minis suck. No one ever thought to put an oil level sensor in them, so the first warning the owner gets is a red oil can. Then there's the failing timing chain and garbage plastic rails, spark plugs that come apart, and special codes just for Minis: "Superknocking" !

Clutch job takes ~12 hours (pays 9.7). Engine swap can actually be done in maybe 14. All you have to do is remove the front end.

Back to the X5 though: I don't think you're going to get a shop to buy and install a low mile salvage engine for anything like $5500. Alldata shows 37 hours; let's call that $3700. Plus, say, $4000 for the engine, except that the indie shop's going to mark it up significantly, to cover their risk....so, let's say $6000....because if the replacement engine IS bad, the shop has to install a new one for free for you. Oh, and don't forget to add shipping on the replacement engine, say another $400.

Which brings us very damned close to what BMW is going to charge you for a new motor.

I'd like to add that I have an E91 530i in the shop right now with 200k + miles, guy drove into a "puddle" (ahem). Car was towed to the shop, but is not hydrolocked, just has a cylinder 6 misfire....no maintenance on this poor thing, forever. The guy's insurance company paid for compression test and piston height check, and is buying the guy a new set of coils and spark plugs, for crying out loud ! I do not understand why they're paying for a damned thing, but c'est la vie.

If you're going to keep the car and enjoy it, T it up, I think the brand new engine is your best bet. But if you're already thinking about selling it, then ross1 is right, just sell it for whatever you can get, don't mess with the $11000 repair.
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 10-30-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    I guess we are just in two different markets... my book time is between 20.9 and 24 hours for this job remove and install depending on the book used .... redressing of damaged parts, swaps etc could bring it up another hour or two. We are in a competive market though so quoting 50 hour engine swap jobs are not going to fly
    Last edited by Driiven; 10-30-2017 at 08:01 PM.
    Buy my native installed ISIS ISTA-D/ISTA-P bmw diagnostic laptop. More Info Here!