Thread: Do you have a Clutch Return Spring in addition to the compression spring?

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5

Do you have a Clutch Return Spring in addition to the compression spring?

RealOEM lists two springs for the clutch assembly, but I only have the one (though it does look like there are unused mounting points for the spring).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...54#35211158489

Am I missing this spring?

On a side note: my brand new UUC clutch bushings, arm, pedal, compression spring, stop pad, feel amazing! Totally worth the $100, bruised back, and sore neck from the install!

My Cars
    1999 M3 5spd
    I have only had my old 95 apart, not my 99, but I am pretty sure that it only had one spring that was in the over center mechanism. So I'm not sure if they changed that for the 96+ cars. I ended up pulling the driver's seat to be a little more comfortable upside down with my head jammed under the dash when I did that one.
    95 cosmoschwartz M3/2/5 : 2012-1/1/2014 (worn rtab's and bald rear tires in the rain)

98 cosmoschwartz M3/4/5 : 2016-3/10/2017 (understeering SUV)

99 Estoril M3/2/5: 6/16/2017-current

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    Looks like this spring type was on non-M cars, according to http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79181

Relevant part copied, since the Internet is not forever:

> The non M's use an extension return spring. My ti uses the same spring.

Also from that thread, it looks like you can convert to the non-M return spring (over the M "compression" spring). It might even prevent the left-tilt our pedals like to take (which I'm still getting even with my brand-new OEM clutch pedal setup -- the only thing I didn't replace were the compression spring's pins).

> Extension spring part number is 35 21 1 158 489. You also need two grommets 35 31 1 113 725

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicisair View Post
    RealOEM lists two springs for the clutch assembly, but I only have the one (though it does look like there are unused mounting points for the spring).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...54#35211158489

Am I missing this spring?

On a side note: my brand new UUC clutch bushings, arm, pedal, compression spring, stop pad, feel amazing! Totally worth the $100, bruised back, and sore neck from the install!
    You're mis-reading the diagram. You have one style or the other, not both. They function in the same way, they just connect slightly differently on the top end. You either have the 10/12/13 parts, or the one with two 14s. Part 11 is the spring and is the same for both. I had the pair of 14s, you likely do as well.

And I'll repeat - they function in the same way. There are people who prefer to have NO spring at all, but I can see no benefit of switching to the OTHER from whichever you have.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    You're mis-reading the diagram. You have one style or the other, not both. They function in the same way, they just connect slightly differently on the top end. You either have the 10/12/13 parts, or the one with two 14s. Part 11 is the spring and is the same for both. I had the pair of 14s, you likely do as well.

And I'll repeat - they function in the same way. There are people who prefer to have NO spring at all, but I can see no benefit of switching to the OTHER from whichever you have.
    I'm talking about spring 6, it should be highlighted on the realoem.com page i linked to.
    Last edited by Musicisair; 10-16-2017 at 12:01 PM.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Ah- my bad.

I'll go look. I don't think we have that. When my spring (#11) broke earlier this year it just didn't return at all past the point where the slave pushed it back out.

I'll go see if I can take a picture.

[Edit] I didn't take the lower dash out, but I took several pictures and couldn't see anything. From that Bimmerfest link I DON'T have the bracket the spring mounts to. In that picture it is part of the brake light sensor bracket, and what I have differs from that - it's just for the brake light sensor. The pictures weren't worth posting, but I have nothing there.
    Last edited by blckstrm; 10-16-2017 at 05:39 PM.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    Ah- my bad.

I'll go look. I don't think we have that. When my spring (#11) broke earlier this year it just didn't return at all past the point where the slave pushed it back out.

I'll go see if I can take a picture.

[Edit] I didn't take the lower dash out, but I took several pictures and couldn't see anything. From that Bimmerfest link I DON'T have the bracket the spring mounts to. In that picture it is part of the brake light sensor bracket, and what I have differs from that - it's just for the brake light sensor. The pictures weren't worth posting, but I have nothing there.
    Awesome. Confirmed on m3forums as well. Seems to be another realOEM typo.

ECSTuning, if you are reading, it seems your clutch pedal kit for the e36 isn't entirely accurate; realOEM might just be wrong.