Thread: Rocker Shaft Plugs

My Cars
    1986 325e

Rocker Shaft Plugs

Hey folks, need some forum advice. Car is stock 86 325e coupe. I removed the valve cover to do the gasket and replace the 4 shaft plugs. The 2 plugs at the front of the engine were very hard to remove, had to use a screw to get a grip. The new ones didn't slide in quite as well as those at the back of the engine. In fact they didn't seem to want to sit flush at all. I checked and cleaned all surfaces and even tried tapping them down with a small block of wood. They were't too bad, just not entirely flush, maybe .5 mm above the surface. I figured bolting down the cover would sort it out but now with the it all put back together the surging idle is worse than ever. Is there something I'm missing? Would a leak from the shaft plugs display a noticeable amount of oil? Thank for any advice. Pic is just for reference.

Rocker-shaft-plugs-E30-M20B25.jpg
    James Lewis 1986 325e

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Just wondering, did you make sure the plugs were indexed properly? There is an inside and an outside to them.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    1986 325e
    This rocker shaft plug problem is really causing me a lot of grief. I took the cover off again to try get those two plugs to sit properly but they won't. I've made sure that the area is free of debris but looking at it there just doesn't seem to be any gap at the end of the rockers shaft for slide the plugs down snug. The plugs slide in easily at the opposite end and I'm wondering does that whole shaft have any horizontal movement. Is it possible that the shaft has moved. I had a helluva time getting the old plugs out at the front too.

In the picture below it shows the two plugs which won't sit properly. I tried tapping them down and using oil. Nothings working.
    Second pic is looking straight down where the two plugs go and last pic shows overall

plugs2.jpgplugs3.jpgplugs.jpg
    Last edited by jimmyleg325e; 10-22-2017 at 12:22 PM.
    James Lewis 1986 325e

My Cars
    87 Cabrio & 87 ETA
    from your first pic it looks like the bottom lip on the plug may be catching at the bottom. Id try a small screw driver or a finger if you can get behind it and push. Keep in mind that the contour of the plug top does stick up above the top of the gasket surface.
    87 Zinno Cabrio 98k Barn Find. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=268987
    87 Lachsilber ETA Time Capsule. bought w 125k from 87yo original owner

Cabrio deck lid & hinge struts (w sleeves) now for sale. See the link below for more info

New "made in Europe" seat shocks. PM for details
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ot-Seat-Shocks

My Cars
    87 Cabrio & 87 ETA
    from your first pic it looks like the bottom lip on the plug may be catching at the bottom. Id try a small screw driver or a finger if you can get behind it and push. Keep in mind that the contour of the plug top does stick up above the top of the gasket surface.
    87 Zinno Cabrio 98k Barn Find. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=268987
    87 Lachsilber ETA Time Capsule. bought w 125k from 87yo original owner

Cabrio deck lid & hinge struts (w sleeves) now for sale. See the link below for more info

New "made in Europe" seat shocks. PM for details
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ot-Seat-Shocks

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    I just saw this isn't mentioned: What brand are the plugs? I can't comment on the rocker shaft question, though you could always try to wedge them backwards a bit and see if they move.

My Cars
    1986 325e
    Not sure of the brand but they came from Blunttech. Comparing them to the originals, the thicknesses look exact. I was aware there is supposed to be slight crown to the plugs. I very slightly shaved a bit of the width and they seemed to fit snug now. I dabbed a thin layer of sealant on them and buttoned it all up again. I've always had some idle issues but after my first attempt at the plugs and gasket it was the worst it's ever been. Surging from 700 to 1300 when warm. Hopefully this will do it. Thanks.
    James Lewis 1986 325e

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would try a set of factory BMW rubber plugs

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    I'd imagine blunt would send the good stuff, but if they were Uro brand it would explain it. Everything they make is absolute garbage and should be avoided at all costs. Hopefully you're good to go now.