My Cars
    '02 BMW X5

Question '02 X5 Locked out, help much appreciated.

If anyone has any idea of how I can enter/unlock my 02 X5 without the key I'd appreciate. I have wedged open the driver's door with an air shim in order to hit the center console lock button but couldn't reach. I've heard about rear entry but I'm hesitant to shim the back window. If anyone has any helpful info please PM me & I will explain the whole situation & provide proof of ownership if necessary etc... Also I'm not sure but I think the battery is dead. It has been sitting for over a month. Thank you in advance.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6

My Cars
    '02 BMW X5
    I'll be ordering a key ($260) in a couple of weeks because dmv said the duplicate title will arrive then. But I'm like 94% positive that my now ex husband left the original in the glove box. He refuses to give me back the key which is why I will be getting a new one anyways. Just thought to expedite it. To prevent him from coming & taking it (which he threatens) I've currently run thick chain thru the tires & locked it. He could cut thru eventually but hopefully by then someone would see or hear him.

My Cars
    1997 m3
    You can call a locksmith or tow truck operator and ask for a lockout. They can get it open for you for a reasonable price. The tow truck operator might be cheaper than a lock Smith. Call around and get a few prices, usually the closer they are to you, the cheaper they will charge.

My Cars
    '02 BMW X5
    Ok thanks! I didn't even think of that. Lol. I have the current registration printed the other day from the DMV will the locksmith accept that as proof of ownership do u think?

My Cars
    1997 m3
    Honestly most of them probably won’t even bother you for a proof of owner ship.

My Cars
    '02 BMW X5
    Oh wow no way. Ok thanks again very much! I appreciate your reply. I've been a "lurker" (that sounds so funny) for awhile looking at other info, but decided to join to ask the question. Again I appreciate your reply! Have a great evening.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaellis View Post
    If anyone has any idea of how I can enter/unlock my 02 X5 without the key I'd appreciate. I have wedged open the driver's door with an air shim in order to hit the center console lock button but couldn't reach. I've heard about rear entry but I'm hesitant to shim the back window. If anyone has any helpful info please PM me & I will explain the whole situation & provide proof of ownership if necessary etc... Also I'm not sure but I think the battery is dead. It has been sitting for over a month. Thank you in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaellis View Post
    I'll be ordering a key ($260) in a couple of weeks because dmv said the duplicate title will arrive then. But I'm like 94% positive that my now ex husband left the original in the glove box. He refuses to give me back the key which is why I will be getting a new one anyways. Just thought to expedite it. To prevent him from coming & taking it (which he threatens) I've currently run thick chain thru the tires & locked it. He could cut thru eventually but hopefully by then someone would see or hear him.
    Just in case you didn't know...your BMW's remote key involves multiple systems...and perhaps this will help you not make things worse...and may also help you with some peace of mind. And if the battery is dead or deeply discharged and the electronic actuation of the door locks won't work...you can MANUALLY UNLOCK the vehicle:

All BMW keys (remote & non-remote keys) since Jan 1995 have EWS (an immobilizing feature that shuts down fuel/spark/ignition) if communication of an ISN (individual serial number) burnt into a transponder embedded in the keys, the EWS control module, and DME/ECU is not the same. And the remote keys not only operate central locking (FZV)...it also initiates an anti-theft alarm siren system (DWA) when the buttons on the key are pressed...and it can be used manually like the non remote keys in the driver's door lock cylinder.

You don't indicate which model e53 X5 you have (3.0, 4.4, or 4.6is)..but if you have one of the V8s...or if you do have the 3.0 but you have the Nav screen...then you have the high instrument cluster which also means you have the expanded OBC (onBoard CPU) which has an additional anti-theft lock-out CODE feature.

Hopefully your ex hasn't screwed you by setting a CODE, then locking the key in the glovebox. If so, even when you get your new key...if you don't know the CODE he set...the car still won't start. But on the reverse...if he didn't...then you can make it difficult for him to retrieve the vehicle by setting your own CODE.

You will also want to initialize all the remote keys you have in your possession...because if he has a "remote key"...when you reinitialize the keys...his will no longer be able to lock/unlock (FZV) & arm/disarm (DWA) the vehicle "remotely". But he can still stick the key into the driver's door lock cylinder. This is where the "OBC CODE" feature can shut him down...the CODE feature will not allow anyone that has a working key to start the car UNLESS they can enter the correct CODE that was set (any number between 0000-9999)...and you only have 3 chances to get it right...on the 3rd failed attempt, the alarm goes off, and the head & tail lights begin to flash.

Follow the instructions below when you get your new remote key...this will prevent any other remote key you have from being able to lock/unlock your car remotely:

The instruction below are how you set a CODE that will prevent anyone with a working key from being able to start the vehicle (you MUST have the high cluster and extended OBC...the LOW cluster doesn't have this feature):

This is how you set the OBC CODE: WARNING!!! You MUST remember the CODE you entered...if not, you will NOT be able to start your car!!

{this is how to do it if you have the MID}

{this is how to do it if you have onBoard Nav Screen}

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-18-2017 at 05:11 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    '02 BMW X5
    It's a 4.6 and thank you so much. I'm pretty positive he hasn't set any code. But I certainly will. Thank you very much!