Thread: New Member, New E36 M3 Sedan owner.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan

New Member, New E36 M3 Sedan owner.

Hey there,

I just recently sold my '08 WRX Hatch and picked up a E36 M3 for around 3k with 160k miles. Nothing mechanically wrong (PS leaks, and sunroof doesn't work but that's typical.)
    I very much enjoy this car and intend on making it a grip event car as well as some weekend entry drifting events.
    It's got some M Concaves and it's overall just stock. Dove grey interior.

Little about me:

I live in Colorado Springs, CO, transplant from Atlanta, GA.
    Electrical engineer and dabble in personal custom taillights.
    I started a small clothing company for fun called "Always Hungry."
    and I'm 24.

Questions:

I guess these cars are notorious for having bad interiors, my A and B pillars (I believe they're called?) have broken tabs, and pillar C. As well as my headliner is starting to fall down. My door cards rattle around, I believe the tabs are broken but I'm unsure. Is there aftermarket replacements for the pillars or interior in general. I've went to a few pull yards to see what I could manage but honestly the pillar clips are usually always broken. I was considering sanding down the old clip area and just putting double sided tape. I don't want it to be tacky, I want the car to overall keep it's integrity as far as interior goes- But if there's ways to improve it I'm thirsty to know what they are.

Also should I upgrade my intake manifold to an M50? It's been suggested to me but without a real reason or purpose, I've peeked around and haven't really been solidly explained as to why I should or if it's worth it.

Any suggestions or aid would be great! Also looking into some entry track level suspension, would love some feedback. Not looking to spend an insane amount until I am more comfortable with the car on track.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Last edited by AlwaysHungry; 10-14-2017 at 09:46 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysHungry View Post
    my A and B pillars (I believe they're called?) have broken tabs, and pillar C. As well as my headliner is starting to fall down.
    I repaired the clips on A,B,C pillars with fiberglass and epoxy and reshaped the fiberglass accordingly. Most of the clips in the scrapyard cars are broken or will break. Here some sample pics from my E32 750, where I did the same
    http://produkte.bilder-speicher.de/0.../cpillar2.html
    http://produkte.bilder-speicher.de/0.../cpillar1.html
    Headliner you can DIY, needs new headliner material as the foam behind the headliner material disintegrates. Have done my one last year. youtube example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv7J4B6Xcyk
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...-Headliner.htm
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...r-DIY-re-lined
    Last edited by shogun; 10-14-2017 at 10:07 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    The M50 manifold is good for ~10HP at redline. There should be some youtube vids with dynos.

Make sure your cooling system is up to date, if you ever spring a leak it can overheat before you know it. The head will warp and can crack. Take even the slightest leak seriously, never drive if the temps are above normal (something is wrong).
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    if you do the m50 manifold get a custom tune for it. As for the pillars there might still be some new dove grey pillars you can get from the stealer but I doubt that the black ones are still available. I suggest you replace every bushing and ball joint on the car if they haven't been done recently. Will improve handling a lot. Then you can decide on dampers and springs. Is this going to be a DD with some track time or dedicated drift mobile? Seems too nice of a car for something that will meet its demise really soon...

Hada peko desu... Okashi-na!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Learn to check all the ball joints instead of prematurely changing them.

Definitely change all the fluids.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1999 M3 - 2013 GSXR 600
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysHungry View Post

Any suggestions or aid would be great! Also looking into some entry track level suspension, would love some feedback. Not looking to spend an insane amount until I am more comfortable with the car on track.
    I would suggest that you do the suspension just once. It’s logical that way. Why would you spend 500 on cheap suspension when you are going to eventually upgrade to coil overs or something along those lines?. The stock suspension will last you a good while. I’d hold out on that and spend the money elsewhere. Just my 2 cents. Beautiful car by the way. Love the contours!

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Thanks all for your aid, I will go through the suspension and check it all before I start replacing.
    It will more than likely just be a DD with some track time on it.
    Interior will probably be first, as it's a QoL thing that bugs me. Then power steering.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    This was short lived, someone totaled my m3.

My Cars
    325is
    Totaled? That means someone bent your fender on a $3000 car.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by gc325is View Post
    Totaled? That means someone bent your fender on a $3000 car.
    Seriously - I got rear-ended and you couldn't even tell the car had been hit. I narrowly escaped that once with a full list of receipts, lots of threats, and letting the odd thing or two go (that I claimed was pre-existing and then to pay out of pocket for later).

The second one was even more minor - hit in the rear wheel, broke the trailing arm and bent the control arms. Since just a new trailing arm was $1000, the insurance company wanted to total the car. Luckily (again) the guy who hit me owned a body shop, I found a trailing arm for $50 at a pull-a-part, and he just did the work rather than go through the insurance company.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Bummer! Pics?