Thread: 1993 525i California emissions car - idle issue

My Cars
    1993 525i

1993 525i California emissions car - idle issue

Hi guys/ladies,
    this forum has saved me so much time and money I will be eternally grateful. I’ve been reading hundreds of posts here before asking this question I have. The information I have read actually solved my problem but two new ones popped up as a result, may you have some ideas.
    So here we go, initial problem was that the car would barely idle and then stall if I touched the gas peddle. The reason this happened was because while I was at the store one day getting in my car to leave, my fingers slipped a little while I was turning over the engine to start it. When the starter disengaged I immediately turned the key again to start it and I heard a little poof sound. What had happened was that little poof sound pressurized the intake system and blew some the hose off slightly off the idle control valve. With the help of these forums I was able to finally get to that area to find what had happened, but not before unplugging and replugging everything I could. I should say that the car was perfectly fine when I got to the store, no idiot lights or flashing cel’s or Srs lights. The problem I now have is that the cel light and srs lights are on and the idle is low and rough. So I just need to keep my foot slightly on the gas or it seems like it wants to die and idle roughly. I did the stomp test and got 1215, mass air flow sensor, but that was only because I had unplugged and plugged back in anything I saw under the hood. The srs light was never on either before getting to the store. So, I did something along the way while fixing the initial problem to cause this new bad idle, cel and srs light problem. I have read that unplugging the battery for about 10 minutes will fix the cel and I found information about fixing the srs light problem, my only issue will then be finding the cause of the new bad idle condition.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    1993 525i
    Hmm, yes, that makes sense. I did have to crumple it up quite a bit to get it off. One other question if anyone knows.
    Is the srs light being on going to be a problem when I go to get it smogged next month? I don’t have the money to spare to pay a bmw dealer an hour to reset it if the ground hack doesn’t work.

thanks!

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    It doesn't affect emissions so I don't see why it would matter, but you might have to argue with the smog tech if they want to give you a hard time. I got mine smogged with no airbag and the light taped over, and the matter never came up.

My Cars
    93 525i touring
    Ardvaark, if you need help im close by and familiar with your engine. I have a scanner that can find what code you have and erase srs if there is no other problem. Message me...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1993 525i
    Pm’d, thanks!