Thread: Looking at this E34 and need some input

My Cars
    90' 735iL, 90' 535i, 93'

Looking at this E34 and need some input

I found this e34 on Craigslist for pretty cheap. I currently own a e32 735il and have noticed plenty similarities (differences) between the two. I would be getting it for my girlfriend to replace her 03 hyundai. If anyone has any experiences dealing with a vehicle in this situation I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and advice. I won't paste the whole ad but here is the jist.

This car has been sitting under a tarp for the past 5 years.

The car is a 1994 and before parked the M50b25 was running very smoothly. Same with transmission.

Car was stolen many years ago and taken on high speed chase, hence the damage to the body. Was also in another accident before that which caused frame damage. Shortly after the frame was professional repaired and straightened and painted original color back in 2007.

The car was parked 5 years ago because the battery died.
    It stopped starting because of a dead battery I believe the battery was just dead because it was old. Either way you will need to tow it out.

I do not have an ODO reading as the battery is dead and ODO display on these cars are digital. I do know that it is really not a high mileage car I would say around 140k or less

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/1994-bmw-e34-525i-mechanics/6342056968.html

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    I smell BS. Someone has the money and motivation to straighten the frame, but not replace the battery?

Bring a battery - for testing purposes just about any healthy 12V will do, just leave the rear seat bottom off and don't throw it into corners - and go from there.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    It looks to be in decent condition considering the history but the "flat battery" story seems really off. Batteries aren't exactly dirt cheap but who wouldn't replace it in the last 5 years if that's the only problem?

You can fix it up but it'll be a bit of work. Every hose will need to be replaced for a start.

My Cars
    Mostly in one piece.
    If it's not too far of a drive from you, can't hurt to check the car out!

Yeah, some questionable logic can be seen there will the "car ran smooth when parked, but flat battery now, oops" Or the guy just simply doesn't want to invest a dime and the time in it, and sell it as is.
    If you will be going to check it out, you MUST bring a battery along with you!!!
    Also, if possible, get it on the street, check how to engine responds...is there any lumpyness, stuttering, anything that might point to immediate engine problems. Definitely go thru the paces with trans, see whether it operates alright.
    Suspension is a no brainer, if it isn't any noticeable rattles, brakes alright and it's not all over the road. You'll be fine.

Would be nice to know some more about the frame damage, since it might be the biggest lemon, besides the pass side door damage.
    But given the damage was not severe and, was repaired by responsible professionals and not some hack-a-jobs. I wouldn't really see a problem there.

Were you pick the car up, prepare to shed some $$$ on all the serviceable items like Spark plugs, fluids (trans, engine oil) filters etc,etc. The time can be harsher on the components of an untouched vehicle more than were the car actually driven daily.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    [QUOTE=moroza;29856831]I smell BS. /QUOTE]

Me too. This car was parked cuz it's a turd. Keep looking. Still probably better than that Hyundai though.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    95 530i (M62B44)
    “Car was stolen many years ago and taken on high speed chase, hence the damage to the body. Was also in another accident before that which caused frame damage. Shortly after the frame was professional repaired and straightened and painted original color back in 2007.”

Huh???

Walk away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk