Thread: Rear wiper/washer inoperable

My Cars
    1999 540iT

Rear wiper/washer inoperable

Hi Guys -

So the rear wiper and washer haven't worked since I got the wagon 6 months ago. All rear lights function fine and I can unlock the rear window with the button inside near driver. I've checked the usual suspects and even replaced most of the wiper components, but can't get any engagement. Front window washer works fine (but headlight washers are intermittent). The right control stalk functions fine with everything else but the rear wiper/washer.

I havent tested or replaced the rear wiper motor, but wouldnt the washer still function even if the wiper doesnt?

What else is left to check - and repair - to get the rear wiper and washer going again?

Symptoms:
    Rear wiper inop
    Rear washer pump inop (don't hear the motor when engaged on stalk)
    "Trunklid Open" warning OBD during each drive (when it's closed)

Action taken:
    checked all fuses and even replaced some that tested fine
    checked all wires going into rear hatch, none worn/broken
    replaced all rear wiper components/arm

Thank you!

My Cars
    2003 525iT, 2008 328xiT
    Headlight washers should only activate every 5 times the window washers are sprayed. Or at least that is how they work on my 525iT.

I dont hear either of the washer motors when they are sprayed. I have to have the hood open and someone in the car move the stalk while my head is down in the engine compartment. You may want to check that way.

As for the wiper motor you will need to check to see if you have power there. If not it is probably the wires going thru the hinges. It is common to have them break on these cars this old. I know i have a couple that have broken in the past three weeks. If you do have power getting there it would be the wiper motor. If no power getting there, either broken wire or bad module. Wire most common problem.

Trunk open message can be broken wire, bad switch in the latch mechanism, or it is not fully closed properly. There is a soft close funtion that should work just the last inch of the close.
    2003 525iT Automatic, Topas Blue Exterior, Gray Leather Interior, Sports Suspension, Sports Seats, M 3 spoke Steering Wheel.
    2008 328xi E91 (wagon) Automatic, Barberatot Metallic Exterior, Terracotta Leather Interior.

My Cars
    1999 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by schatzy62 View Post
    As for the wiper motor you will need to check to see if you have power there. If not it is probably the wires going thru the hinges. It is common to have them break on these cars this old. I know i have a couple that have broken in the past three weeks. If you do have power getting there it would be the wiper motor. If no power getting there, either broken wire or bad module. Wire most common problem.

Trunk open message can be broken wire, bad switch in the latch mechanism, or it is not fully closed properly. There is a soft close funtion that should work just the last inch of the close.
    Yes, thank you. I've checked the wires thoroughly on both sides of the lid, didnt find any issues.

And yes I'm heading out now to verify power at the wiper motor itself.

I have Touring - for "Trunk Lid Open" message, does that refer to my rear glass latch or the separate rear hatch door latch? Is the switch in either latch mechanisms notoriously bad or easily repaired? I can't find info on it on the boards.

Thank you!
    Last edited by 01din; 10-15-2017 at 06:52 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525iT, 2008 328xiT
    Quote Originally Posted by 01din View Post
    Yes, thank you. I've checked the wires thoroughly on both sides of the lid, didnt find any issues.

And yes I'm heading out now to verify power at the wiper motor itself.

I have Touring - for "Trunk Lid Open" message, does that refer to my rear glass latch or the separate rear hatch door latch? Is the switch in either latch mechanisms notoriously bad or easily repaired? I can't find info on it on the boards.

Thank you!
    I have replied to you over on bimmerfest.

But to answer one question specifically on the touring both the window and hatch produce the same message on the dash.

Long post on bimmerfest from me about the switches and control.
    2003 525iT Automatic, Topas Blue Exterior, Gray Leather Interior, Sports Suspension, Sports Seats, M 3 spoke Steering Wheel.
    2008 328xi E91 (wagon) Automatic, Barberatot Metallic Exterior, Terracotta Leather Interior.