Thread: Suggestions for Subframe Reinforcements

My Cars
    1994 325is M3 Clone

Cool Suggestions for Subframe Reinforcements

Just purchased the AKG front subframe reinforcements for the motor mount area. This is the current status of mine...
    IMG_0640[1].jpg
    Just curious as to what people find more functional, welding the plates to the bottom; inside part of the subframe; or just right on top of the subframe? Looking forward to your feedback!
    P.S. Any suggestions for front control arm replacements? Looking at:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...31126758513kt/

Thanks a ton guys!

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    I recommend replacing and pressing new OEM bushings into your existing arms.

As for the plates I'm also interested as I'll be doing these soon. I think akgs site shows you where to put them.
    Last edited by M52 POWER!; 10-14-2017 at 08:22 AM.

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by probioticx View Post
    Just purchased the AKG front subframe reinforcements for the motor mount area. This is the current status of mine...
    Just curious as to what people find more functional, welding the plates to the bottom; inside part of the subframe; or just right on top of the subframe? Looking forward to your feedback!

Thanks a ton guys!
    AKG has installation guidelines for these. Why would you deviate from their spec?

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    Looks like AKG recommends putting the 2 holed plate inside the ear, then cover the ear with the single holed plate. Turner recommends the same thing for their kit.

For the control arms, if you have access to a 15+ ton press, you can press in new ball joints, and your control arm bushing too of course. Otherwise, just get new ones if it's not worth the hassle, or you actually need the new control arm itself.
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by probioticx View Post

Thanks a ton guys!
    Personally, I wouldn't use that subframe anymore. It's torn (and missing) where the motor mount bolts to (which means you probably need new motor mounts as well). I would get a new subframe and then weld in the plates as recommended by AKG/Turner. With the subframe out it's actually fairly easy if you know how to weld.

As for control arms... I see you list your car as a "True M3 Clone". Does this include ALL suspension components as well, including the control arms, sway bars, end links, etc? If so, you'll have to purchase pre-built M3 control arms, UNLIKE the ones you linked or press out/in new ball joints. Beware though, if you plan on doing them yourself it's a little scary to press them out and you'll need a 20 Ton press. People have got away with using a 12 Ton in the past but the jack/press was really pushed to its limit.

The reason I ask if you have a "True M3 Clone" including ALL suspension, is because if you're still using Non-M control arms then you can use aftermarket arms. I believe Mood and FebiBilstein make them. Not the best, but will do fine for a while. If you have M3 control arms, you're much more limited.

My Cars
    1994 325is M3 Clone
    IMG_0693.jpgIMG_0696.jpg
    So this is the current state of the subframe after prep and welding in the plates. I dont see any reason to replace the entire subframe as I easily welded the cracks in and reinforced the broken spot. I welded them on the inside as AKG recommended and it worked well. If anyone see's anything wrong with this setup or wants to see more pictures, let me know.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I've looked into this a bit recently and for anyone who'd rather throw money at this than do it themselves Garagistic will sell you powdercoated reinforced front/rear subframes for a reasonable price with a core charge/refund.

https://store.garagistic.com/BMW-Sub...front-subframe
    https://store.garagistic.com/BMW-Sub...-rear-subframe
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1994 325is M3 Clone
    If this ends up failing which I dont see why it would Ill look into getting a new subframe and reinforcing it. This costed me $20 for the plates and a 6 pack for the guy who sandblasted the ends for me. The welds on their website look a little shotty to me though.