RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Need new coil packs

My Cars
    1992 bmw 325is

Need new coil packs

Im looking to order new packs but cant afford bosch is there a coil pack i can buy that is good quality was thinking about a set calld ultra power from rock auto they are with in the price that i can afford but if someone knows of a brand that will last for a price around no more than like 30$ a pc the ones im looking at look like the ones that came in it stock but im not sure i just hope they will last anyone have any good brands for cheap that will be okay for a long while till i can get some good ones? Thanks

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    If the ones that you presently have show no signs of failure, stick with them,
    as cheap replacements will probably cause more problems. Since ca$h is a problem,
    replace only the ones tested as causing misfires, with OE or OEM replacements.
    Here are the options:https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/32...77&m=20&page=1

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bremi-pa...139066468~bri/

Note that you'll also need the coil boots (connect coils to spark plugs). These fail and cause misfires almost as often as the coils. And while you're there, of course you need to install a set of OE sparkplugs. I prefer NGK BKR6EK for your car, but this "KIT" may be your best bet:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...2137599218kt1/

Buying RockAuto chinese crap coils is a waste of money and time.

Unfortunately, Miky, the OP does not know which cylinders are misfiring.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Sorry Chris and Jason, for letting my assumptions get in the way.
    That kit does seem to be a cost effective option, but FCP prices equally,
    BREMI Coils plus connectors 45.79 x 6=274.74
    NGK BKR6EK 3.99 x 6=23.94
    Total =298.68
    including the preferred plugs, lifetime warranties,+free shipping.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Sorry Chris and Jason, for letting my assumptions get in the way.
    That kit does seem to be a cost effective option, but FCP prices equally,
    BREMI Coils plus connectors 45.79 x 6=274.74
    NGK BKR6EK 3.99 x 6=23.94
    Total =298.68
    including the preferred plugs, lifetime warranties,+free shipping.
    Three really good reasons to choose FCP !
    Two more:
    They're very pleasant to deal with, and
    They're a big supporter of BMWCCA racing.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Agreed with the suggestion to avoid cheap imports. If $$ is tight find the offending coil(s) and replace only what's needed. Used OE coils are cheap and would be my choice. Replacing all the connectors, the "plug wire" on this set up is a wise move at this age especially if there is or has been a rocker cover leak allowing these to get soaked in oil. Again, quality stuff only.
    I have a bunch of coils for your car and willing to offer them cheaply, PM if it interests you.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1992 bmw 325is
    Once i get back working im def going wit the best packs i can get i put ngk plugs n a set of packs seems to be firing a lil stronger im hoping it takes care of the little bit of hesitation it has i will let you guys know how it performs asap from the few things iv done so far has made my diagnoses a little easyer so if its still there ill move on to injectors and all wires heres what iv already replaced i baught a new air boot new plugs n packs iv checked for vacume leaks the best i could i tightend and loos nuts on intake i will procede a smoke down on it if its still there along with a good diagnoses on a good test tool hopefully during that time it will reveal any issues so i can fix the hesitation i hope im going about things in a good process but thats my plans for now i really hope im blessd with a fix i love this car like a child lol i just want it running as good as it can so thanks guys im looking foward to hearing any other advice and ill do my best to follow once i have money i def will be able to n btw sorry for spelling/punctuation

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Have you tried a stomp test for diagnostic codes on your vehicle?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason 31 View Post
    Once i get back working im def going wit the best packs i can get i put ngk plugs n a set of packs seems to be firing a lil stronger im hoping it takes care of the little bit of hesitation it has i will let you guys know how it performs asap from the few things iv done so far has made my diagnoses a little easyer so if its still there ill move on to injectors and all wires heres what iv already replaced i baught a new air boot new plugs n packs iv checked for vacume leaks the best i could i tightend and loos nuts on intake i will procede a smoke down on it if its still there along with a good diagnoses on a good test tool hopefully during that time it will reveal any issues so i can fix the hesitation i hope im going about things in a good process but thats my plans for now i really hope im blessd with a fix i love this car like a child lol i just want it running as good as it can so thanks guys im looking foward to hearing any other advice and ill do my best to follow once i have money i def will be able to n btw sorry for spelling/punctuation

Miky, Ross: I have exceeded my endurance. We have above ~240 words....well, sort of words. ZERO punctuation, 47 misspellings, 20 damned sentences in one big ball, with not a goddamned period in sight. I cannot stand it. Good luck.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Chris, totally understood,
    I can endure until all our suggestions/advice is ignored,
    then it becomes nil!
    Jason, waiting on your response to post #8

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Miky, Ross: I have exceeded my endurance. We have above ~240 words....well, sort of words. ZERO punctuation, 47 misspellings, 20 damned sentences in one big ball, with not a goddamned period in sight. I cannot stand it. Good luck.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Easy, professor.
    I have an issue with edited posts getting mashed up, losing paragraphs. Perhaps part of the OP's problem as well.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    BMW
    I've read through the thread twice and can't tell... Have you done the basic swapping of coil packs to help find the offending coil pack? Where I do normally suggest replacing all the coils, plugs, and boots at once; if you're in a pinch doing that little trick and only replacing the dead coil will at least get you down the road on all 6 cylinders again.

-James

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Easy, professor.
    I have an issue with edited posts getting mashed up, losing paragraphs. Perhaps part of the OP's problem as well.
    You're very kind, but you've not seen the OP's other dozen threads, including his many claims that he just really doesn't care, and thinks we should all suck it up and "deal with it".

240 words with zero punctuation? Nope....that's someone who really doesn't give a damn. And if he doesn't, why should we?

Here....I quote:
    " im not worried about my spelling and punctuation i suck at that stuff so if it matters to who ever then deal with it "
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 10-17-2017 at 09:13 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    Personally, I think if your coming somewhere asking for help and free advise you have to be on your best behaviour and as respectful as possible and also do as asked otherwise you go and pay to have your problem fixed.
    C217 S63 AMG S Cabriolet ( Daily )

E87 116i with mild cams, headers, cold air intake making 136 bhp Lol (My Learning Track Car)

E36 328i Sport ( Project in making and future race/track car )

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Yeah, I'm with Chris. I get paid to interpret and correct other people's writing - my tolerance for wading through it for free is essentially zero, especially when they willfully refuse to even attempt to communicate using the collectively agreed-upon linguistic conventions. To quote the late, great Barbara Billingsley in Airplane, "Chump don't want the help, chump don't get the help."

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    You're very kind, but you've not seen the OP's other dozen threads, including his many claims that he just really doesn't care, and thinks we should all suck it up and "deal with it".

240 words with zero punctuation? Nope....that's someone who really doesn't give a damn. And if he doesn't, why should we?

Here....I quote:
    " im not worried about my spelling and punctuation i suck at that stuff so if it matters to who ever then deal with it "
    I see. It's tough to help those unwilling to help themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
    Yeah, I'm with Chris. I get paid to interpret and correct other people's writing - my tolerance for wading through it for free is essentially zero, especially when they willfully refuse to even attempt to communicate using the collectively agreed-upon linguistic conventions. To quote the late, great Barbara Billingsley in Airplane, "Chump don't want the help, chump don't get the help."
    Also; "Ward, aren't you being a little hard on the Beaver?"

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    I foresee this thread rapidly going off the rails in a way that no one under a certain age will understand at all....

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    On that front, I've always found that it's beneficial to be a little hard on the Beaver.

Aw shucks, O2Pilot, I think I just made your premonition come true.
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 10-19-2017 at 06:10 AM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    Live regret free; just buy good quality OEM parts once and be done with it. I recommend FCP, ECS, or Pelicanparts.