RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Cluster resetting

My Cars
    08 328i

Cluster resetting

Hey everyone,

I have a 2008 328i. The other day I went out to the car to go run some errands and the cluster is off. Car runs and drives and everything is perfect except the cluster is dead. I then resort to the next logical option, the fuse box. After messing around with a few different ones I found that there were no blown fuses but in the process of checking and removing a few of the 5a fuses, suddenly the cluster turns back on, the ding starts and everything is normal. Since then, every time I leave the car off for more than an hour or so, the cluster still works but is reset every time. So every time i get into the car I have to set the clock and turn off the timer etc. Am I still looking at a fuse issue here? Or could this be something more technical? Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before on an e90.

Thanks,
    Mike

My Cars
    1997 m3
    Have you recently changed your battery? People have had this happen who’ve replaced and either never coded the battery or it was coded improperly. Also When batteries go bad on these cars, they go into a power saving mode and scanning and clearing the code fixes this. Good luck!
    Last edited by Ateyourv8; 10-16-2017 at 02:32 PM.

My Cars
    08 328i
    Battery was last changed in 2016, this problem started 3 days ago. I dont believe there are any codes last I checked but maybe since the cluster fully shut off the first time it gained a power saving code that I need to clear. Ill definitely give it a try shortly.

My Cars
    BMW
    I've had a few guys in the past report the connection cable to that runs to the cluster has become loose on their cars. Shocked me as they all stated their clusters had never been removed, but hey, saved them the cost of a new cluster and programming! I'd start there just to be safe.

My Cars
    08 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
    I've had a few guys in the past report the connection cable to that runs to the cluster has become loose on their cars. Shocked me as they all stated their clusters had never been removed, but hey, saved them the cost of a new cluster and programming! I'd start there just to be safe.
    God the amount of money ive spent with you guys over the years with my modified Vw's haha. Just needed to share. Are you saying the cable from the fuse box or the cable from the back of the cluster to the management unit (not sure if its wired to an interior comfort module)? Along with them, my cluster has never been removed either, so hopefully it is as simple as a loose connection or im even thinking maybe the female end of the fuse is malfunctioning somehow? Im going to start the trial and error process soon im sure haha.
    Last edited by mikey scraps; 10-16-2017 at 04:55 PM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Perform a scan,note codes, clear codes,take note of new codes displayed.
    A scan performed with a BMW specific scan-tool/software is much more accurate than generic tool/P-codes.
    Really the first logical option would be to test battery condition/voltage before+after the unwanted reset.
    Unstable battery voltages caused by a failing battery can cause strange BMW electrical system anomalies.

My Cars
    08 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Perform a scan,note codes, clear codes,take note of new codes displayed.
    A scan performed with a BMW specific scan-tool/software is much more accurate than generic tool/P-codes.
    Really the first logical option would be to test battery condition/voltage before+after the unwanted reset.
    Unstable battery voltages caused by a failing battery can cause strange BMW electrical system anomalies.

I actually just scanned but with a generic tool because thats all I have at my home. I will have my friend do it at his work sometime this week. Luckily im still dailying my motorcycle this time a year so I wont be driving the car as often as normal. When I did the generic scan it came up with no codes. Ill test the voltage tomorrow and see what we are working with. Thanks!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Glad to offer insight and help,
    I'm sure one of the expert techs here will add more info.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    You should call your dealership's service manager, give them the last 7 digits of your VIN, and ask whether your car has had the following recall performed:

Recall 13V-044 - Repair Battery Positive Cable

SI B61 02 13
    General Electrical Systems

June 2013
    Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B61 02 13 dated March 2013.

PERFORM THE PROCEDURE OUTLINED IN THIS SERVICE INFORMATION ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES BEFORE CUSTOMER DELIVERY OR THE NEXT TIME THEY ARE IN THE SHOP FOR MAINTENANCE OR REPAIRS.

BMW centers must ensure Recalls are completed after having been notified by BMW of North America, LLC (BMWNA) that a safety-related defect or noncompliance exists in any motor vehicle or item of replacement equipment in the center's possession at the time of notification. In BMW NA's case, this notification would typically be made by the issuance of a Recall notification in the form of a Service Information bulletin (SIB) or transmission of a Dealer Communication System (DCS) Recall message.

Under the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966, as amended, if a Recall campaign is announced by BMW NA, centers must ensure that all Recalls on new vehicles and new items of replacement equipment are completed BEFORE delivery to the consumer. This means that centers may not legally deliver new motor vehicles or new items of replacement equipment to consumers with an open Recall.

The Safety Act also prohibits centers from selling or leasing the motor vehicle or item of replacement equipment, unless and until the open Recall has been completed BEFORE delivery. This also pertains to vehicles in the Certified Pre-Owned program, and to items of replacement equipment.

Finally, BMW centers should not sell or use parts that have been recalled by BMW NA. Please follow the specific instructions provided by BMW NA on the return or disposition of the parts.

[NEW] designates changes to this revision
    SUBJECT
    Recall Campaign 13V-044: Repair Battery Positive Cable

MODEL
    E82

E88

E89

E90

E91

E92

E93

Produced from March 2007 to October 2011 with option 823 (Hot climate version)
    Note : This Recall Campaign does not affect M3 or 335d vehicles because of a different power distribution configuration.

SITUATION
    The plug-in contact of the positive battery cable at the front power distribution box (Junction Box) may be damaged by vehicle vibrations, which cause corrosion and high resistance leading to high current loads. This impairs the power supply to the front power distribution box, and can cause one or more of the following symptoms:

^ The vehicle does not start

^ Various electrical malfunctions, including flickering of the instrument cluster

^ Brief loss of engine power

^ In extremely isolated cases, the engine may shut off while driving, which leads to a loss of power steering assistance

AFFECTED VEHICLES
    This Recall Campaign involves E82, E88, E89, E90, E91, E92 and E93 vehicles which were produced March 2007 to October 2011.

In order to determine whether a specific vehicle has had this Recall Campaign completed or is affected by this Recall Campaign, first check the B-pillar label for code number 641. If code number 641 has been punched out, the campaign has already been performed. If code number 641 has not been punched out, it will be necessary to utilize the "Service Menu" of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System) or the Key Reader. Based on the response of the system, either proceed with the corrective action or take no further action.
    CORRECTION
    Replace the positive battery cable at the front power distribution box.

SPECIAL TOOLS NEEDED
    PROCEDURE
    Replace the positive battery cable at the front power distribution box as per repair procedure attachment to this service information bulletin.

Note : The tightening torque of the repair cable screw connection on the power distribution box is 1.0 Nm.

[NEW] Prior to starting the repair, the following guidelines must be met prior to disconnecting the battery to avoid problems that show up after the repair (continuous resetting of the clock or "Battery Discharge" CC message).
    ^ Battery charger turned off

^ Ignition turned off

^ Start/Stop button illumination off (normally after 2 minutes from ignition off)

If the power distribution box connection shows signs of overheating, the front power distribution box must be replaced.

PARTS INFORMATION

LABEL INSTRUCTIONS

If the vehicle already has a label from a previous Service Action/Recall Campaign, affix the new label next to the old one. Do not affix one label on top of another one, because a number from an underlying label could appear in the punched-out hole of the new label.
    WARRANTY INFORMATION
    The repair described in this bulletin is covered under warranty regardless of time or mileage.

Reimbursement for this Recall will be via normal claim entry utilizing the following information:

The updated "Recall-compliant" repair procedure only became available with the release of this Service Information bulletin. All prior repairs (warranty or customer-pay) are "non-Recall compliant."

[NEW] Prior Customer-Pay Repairs

[NEW] A. A previous customer-pay repair was performed and the vehicle is now in your workshop.

Please follow the procedure below when a vehicle is in your workshop for this repair:

Review and verify the repair on the customer-pay invoice (BMW center or independent repair shop) to ensure it addresses the issue described in this Service Information bulletin.

Reimburse the customer (labor and parts).

Submit the customer-paid repair expense under Defect Code 00 61 76 03 00, as follows:
    ^ Sublet Code 3

^ Dollar amount (with no markup)

^ Comment: Reimbursement for allowable expenses related to the previous customer-pay repair.

^ Retain the "original" customer pay invoice in your files; this documentation may be requested by BMW during the claim review process.

Perform the Recall repair outlined in this bulletin.

[NEW] B. The vehicle is not presented for inspection, but a prior customer-pay invoice is.

If your center is only presented with a customer-pay invoice for a previous repair to address the issue outlined in this bulletin:
    1. Scan and save a copy of the "original" customer-pay invoice (BMW center or independent repair shop) to a file.

Retain the "original" customer-pay invoice in your files.
    2. Submit a VIN-specific email to Warranties.special.request@bmwna.com with "item 1 file" as an attachment.

3. Warranties will confirm receipt by return email.

4. Proceed and submit a claim for the prior customer-pay repair expense (see below).

Submit this customer-paid repair expense under Defect Code 85 99 00 12 NA, as follows:
    ^ Sublet Code 3

^ Dollar amount (with no markup)

^ Comment: Reimbursement for allowable expenses related to the previous customer pay repair.

^ Retain the "original" customer pay invoice in your files.

5. BMW will review the claim and supporting documentation.

6. If the claim is approved, the claim credit will be issued through DCSnet.

7. Your center can now issue a reimbursement to the customer for the previous repair.

This claim submission will not close the "Open" Safety Recall, since the vehicle was not available for inspection/repair.
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 10-16-2017 at 07:55 PM.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    08 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post

^ Various electrical malfunctions, including flickering of the instrument cluster
    Ah I love that word. Recall. In my eyes all i see is free. Thanks so much for sharing this. That is definitely my next step. I will give them a call tomorrow and see if it has been done and while talking to him if any other recalls or anything need to be done.

Thanks!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Remember, you're a concerned owner who has experienced a symptom which your brother / uncle, a RETIRED BMW tech in North Carolina tells you MAY be caused by the "junction box recall issue", and he suggested you ask the dealer whether your car's had this addressed. (If he wasn't retired, he could check for himself, if he still worked at a dealership)

Do NOT say that you read this on a forum. There are more BAD forum resources than good ones, so most pro techs and dealers and shops grit their teeth when you say "forum".

If you post the last 7 digits of your VIN, you might just get really lucky if one of the dealer techs that graces this forum has time to check it for you. Otherwise, note what I said above.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1997 m3

Do NOT say that you read this on a forum. There are more BAD forum resources than good ones, so most pro techs and dealers and shops grit their teeth when you say "forum".
    Agreed!

My Cars
    08 328i
    Remember, you're a concerned owner who has experienced a symptom which your brother / uncle, a RETIRED BMW tech in North Carolina tells you MAY be caused by the "junction box recall issue", and he suggested you ask the dealer whether your car's had this addressed. (If he wasn't retired, he could check for himself, if he still worked at a dealership)

If you post the last 7 digits of your VIN, you might just get really lucky if one of the dealer techs that graces this forum has time to check it for you. Otherwise, note what I said above.

Oh im well aware to not mention the words "forum" "diy" etc haha. As far as that VIN number goes it may or may not be: A246988. Maybe a dealer tech will make his magical presence known

Thanks!

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Well according to the website, there is no active or open recalls on that car. However it still wouldn't hurt to get it checked out anyway.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...ue&vin=a246998
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    BMW
    Have them double check, some recalls aren't displayed via the safety customer recall portal.

As for the cable, the one in the back of the cluster.

-James

My Cars
    08 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
    Have them double check, some recalls aren't displayed via the safety customer recall portal.

As for the cable, the one in the back of the cluster.

-James
    Alrighty will do and thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    08 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Well according to the website, there is no active or open recalls on that car. However it still wouldn't hurt to get it checked out anyway.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...ue&vin=a246998
    I’ll make a trip over there today and have them look it up for me. Thank you for linking that tho, good to know for next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    08 328i
    Last edited by mikey scraps; 10-17-2017 at 08:42 PM.

My Cars
    08 328i
    Just got back from the dealer, no recalls :/ The battery cable was replaced under recall a few years ago tho. I am going to have a friend scan the car for me tomorrow or thursday. Ill touch base back here after I find out the deal!
    Thanks for all the input everyone!
    Last edited by mikey scraps; 10-17-2017 at 08:41 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Reading the bulletin further I see;

NEW] Prior to starting the repair, the following guidelines must be met prior to disconnecting the battery to avoid problems that show up after the repair (continuous resetting of the clock or "Battery Discharge" CC message).
    ^ Battery charger turned off

^ Ignition turned off

^ Start/Stop button illumination off (normally after 2 minutes from ignition off)

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue