Thread: noob here

My Cars
    96 318is

noob here

whats up bimmer folks. new here. as with everything i passionately buy modify a little and move on, i bought myself a 318is.
    manual fourbanger with 143K. with intentions of engine conversion later in the future. i enjoy it and have plans for it. but unfortunately after sometime
    i noticed or heard noises in the rear. everytime i reverse a clunk would sound. this dint happen when i was test driving the car but happened fews days after.
    later found out the right rear strut mount is cracked an inch or two and its been spot welded for some weird reason.no clue what the previous owner trying to do. but
    its repaired just to drive here and there not for long distances so im thinking to reinforce the rear strut mount. need somebody to guide me to the right direction.
    ive seen some reinforcement braces here that people did a fine job with. im not sure if that could suffice the if i have an engine conversion in mind.....

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I will move it to the E36 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    They sell replacement steel, the old gets cut out and the new welded in.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    how about a title that makes sense

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    The e36 doesn't have rear struts. Do you mean the upper shock mount? If that is what is cracked then its pretty much just another steel plate welded over the already repaired crack with the appropriate hole in it so the shock can mount. The reinforcement kits just save you time. They are all the same. You obviously would need those for anything. Since. Ya know. Its already broke.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by samy01 View Post
    how about a title that makes sense
    noobs <----dont make sense... right? anyways...

My Cars
    96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    The e36 doesn't have rear struts. Do you mean the upper shock mount? If that is what is cracked then its pretty much just another steel plate welded over the already repaired crack with the appropriate hole in it so the shock can mount. The reinforcement kits just save you time. They are all the same. You obviously would need those for anything. Since. Ya know. Its already broke.

yup... thats what i meant. forgot that the spring and shocks are separate in BMWs. i found a steel plate that fit the 318is on partsgeek.com. but encountered another thing, the mechanic says its the differential thats making the clunk sound. not the shocks. i had the car raised on the lift and checked. so now another one to the list. lol... i might as well start collecting M3 parts for the conversion i had in mind.
    you think E36 328i differential would suffice for now or should i just weld that sucker?